boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #106
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

On Curry; whilst Turners aggressive style may point to him 'doing a Honeyghan' and wearing Curry out, would he be able to get past Currys sharp shots when Donald was in his prime and pomp? Curry>Gavilan as a hitter or would the Kid destroy the likes of McCrory as comprehensively as Curry did? I would say so.

One thing I'm certain is that Curry was not as durable as Gavilan, not by a long shot, even accounting for his mindset being ruined after losing his '0'. If Tuner CAN come through some tough shots I feel he can wear Curry down, either winning on points or stopping him late, regardless of whether Curry is weight drained.

Meldrick Taylor? Interesting comparison. They're both fast and let their hands go. Turner seems more route one to me though, an athletic slugger.

Any thoughts on the above?
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #107
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
On Curry; whilst Turners aggressive style may point to him 'doing a Honeyghan' and wearing Curry out, would he be able to get past Currys sharp shots when Donald was in his prime and pomp? Curry>Gavilan as a hitter or would the Kid destroy the likes of McCrory as comprehensively as Curry did? I would say so.

One thing I'm certain is that Curry was not as durable as Gavilan, not by a long shot, even accounting for his mindset being ruined after losing his '0'. If Tuner CAN come through some tough shots I feel he can wear Curry down, either winning on points or stopping him late, regardless of whether Curry is weight drained.

Meldrick Taylor? Interesting comparison. They're both fast and let their hands go. Turner seems more route one to me though, an athletic slugger.

Any thoughts on the above?
Fair enough, just like Curry's accuracy to halt the charges of Turner as Curry got off first, Gavilan seemed to let Turner get off first an dthen have to trade it out, if you got off first you could quell Turner's offence IMO.


I think they are similar they were both in essence athletic sluggers werent they, i wouldnt say Taylor was a boxer by any means.

Away to watch some benitez and Khaoker
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #108
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Fair enough, just like Curry's accuracy to halt the charges of Turner as Curry got off first, Gavilan seemed to let Turner get off first an dthen have to trade it out, if you got off first you could quell Turner's offence IMO.


I think they are similar they were both in essence athletic sluggers werent they, i wouldnt say Taylor was a boxer by any means.

Away to watch some benitez and Khaoker
Gavilan did yeah, as I say I liked how Turner slammed his jab in. I think Curry would struggle with that too, as cagey as he could be Turner seemed fearless in that fight.

Colin Jones was a tough pressure fighter but Curry sorted him out. I just think Turner was faster than Jones and would get off enough punches. As I say have only seen this fight, but Gavilan is as good an indication as any that Turner would do well against 'ATG' welters.

Styles make fights though. Have only seen McCrory, Jones, Honeyghan and McCallum fights. Can anyone reccomend any more Curry? Easily available stuff of course
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #109
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Fair enough, just like Curry's accuracy to halt the charges of Turner as Curry got off first, Gavilan seemed to let Turner get off first an dthen have to trade it out, if you got off first you could quell Turner's offence IMO.


I think they are similar they were both in essence athletic sluggers werent they, i wouldnt say Taylor was a boxer by any means.

Away to watch some benitez and Khaoker
No, he wasn't. I just like Taylors combos more. Both Philli fighters though, no doubt that's why they're similar.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #110
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
On Curry; whilst Turners aggressive style may point to him 'doing a Honeyghan' and wearing Curry out, would he be able to get past Currys sharp shots when Donald was in his prime and pomp? Curry>Gavilan as a hitter or would the Kid destroy the likes of McCrory as comprehensively as Curry did? I would say so.

One thing I'm certain is that Curry was not as durable as Gavilan, not by a long shot, even accounting for his mindset being ruined after losing his '0'. If Tuner CAN come through some tough shots I feel he can wear Curry down, either winning on points or stopping him late, regardless of whether Curry is weight drained.

Meldrick Taylor? Interesting comparison. They're both fast and let their hands go. Turner seems more route one to me though, an athletic slugger.

Any thoughts on the above?
Curry-Turner would be an interesting one. Curry at his peak was very accurate, a good hitter and had a fair bit of durability too (you're right though that Curry was no where near as tough as Gavilan).

Turner as can be seen through his fights from welter to middleweight though wasn't really the type of fighter to get discouraged with a good shot to the chin. If you hit him, his instinct was to drill right back into you and return the favour.

I can see Turner's athleticism and gusto unsettling the measured precision of Curry and taking him off his game, but I can also envision Curry landing some good shots that hurt Turner and eventually weaken him to the point where he is taken out. I personally don't have an inclination to say one outcome is more likely than the other. Wouldn't be surprised at all with either outcome really.

As far as the Meldrick Taylor comparison goes, where they are similar is that they are both really naturally gifted, high speed, high activity phenoms, without too much in the way of defensive craft and savvy, but with such athletic tools that they can often render craft and technique in an opponent irrelevant. Taylor had a pretty rapid decline in his career whereas Turner stayed at a reasonably high level for a longer time, but neither were ever 100% after their first beatings imo.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 01-07-2010 at 01:04 PM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #111
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

just watched

Wilfred Benitez vs Mel Dennis

Was part of a US Championship to find a US Champion in 6 weights this was the Quarter Final of the Welterweight tournament. Held in a jail in Ohio funnily enough.

Benitez was pretty classy as he ouclassed teh tough and ever willing Dennis. He was nigh unhittable and really punished Dennis with his long left hooks - often doubled and tripled. In the later rounds Benitez led Dennis on and turned him expertly. Benitez got an 8 round UD.

Benitez: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Dennis:
Total:80-72 Benitez (8-0)

Wilfred Benitez vs Ray Guerro Chavez

An obscure NYASC world title fight, where both fighters said if they won the fight they would vacate.

Chavez was awkward and hell and did not want no part of Benitez. He stuck to a gameplan to frustrate Benitez but never really looked like he wanted to win. It was interesting to see Benitez at such a young age figure out his awkward opponent and gradually broke him down with body punches before sensationally stopping him in the last.

Benitez: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12*,13,14
Chavez:
Total: 140-125 Benitez (14-0)

* = 10-8 round
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #112
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

That fight with Guerrero was truly awful imo.Benitez could look a lot like Eubank when he was fighting a safety-first runner.The Santos fight at 154 was another absolutely terrible fight with zero action.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #113
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
That fight with Guerrero was truly awful imo.Benitez could look a lot like Eubank when he was fighting a safety-first runner.The Santos fight at 154 was another absolutely terrible fight with zero action.
It was, although Benitez did try in it and in the last third started breaking him down with the body shots to lower his hands to get his head.

But Guerrero wanted to part of Benitez, he was a terrible challenger. The crowd booed after every round and Benitez predicted a first round KO. The fight was so devoid of action the commentater started seaking about a town called 'Buckhaven' and how it sounded like 'it had a lot of trees and freindly people' before saying he had never been there.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #114
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
It was, although Benitez did try in it and in the last third started breaking him down with the body shots to lower his hands to get his head.

But Guerrero wanted to part of Benitez, he was a terrible challenger. The crowd booed after every round and Benitez predicted a first round KO. The fight was so devoid of action the commentater started seaking about a town called 'Buckhaven' and how it sounded like 'it had a lot of trees and freindly people' before saying he had never been there.
I can still laugh without weed. Good to know.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #115
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I can still laugh without weed. Good to know.
Just away to check out that Khaoker DVD, first got to pour myself a pint
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #116
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Just away to check out that Khaoker DVD, first got to pour myself a pint
You give dope smokers a hard time and you drink beer?

Honestly, out of all the drugs I've done (in my past life; don't you know I'm a changed man) booze is the most dehabilitating out of all of them (including acid)

I understand it's home made though? Enjoy it ladWill be interested to see what you think of the Vasquez fight. Also, what is the other fight that's on there?
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #117
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
You give dope smokers a hard time and you drink beer?

Honestly, out of all the drugs I've done (in my past life; don't you know I'm a changed man) booze is the most dehabilitating out of all of them (including acid)

I understand it's home made though? Enjoy it ladWill be interested to see what you think of the Vasquez fight. Also, what is the other fight that's on there?
I dont drink at all, although i used to, just my cousin gave me a home brew set so Im drinking it. Its alright stuff.

On the DVD is Galaxy vs Constanacio Dangla, Vasquez, Moon 1 and 2 and the fainting incident
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #118
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,460
vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Well I'll want a copy of that then

I've just had a valium: am off to the land of nod
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #119
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Khaoker Galaxy vs Contanscio Dangla

Good fight here. Dangla was a brave wee fighter but was over matched and didnt seem to ever both Khaoker.

I was impressed with Khaoker as he gradullay broke down Dagla with excellant body punching however he seemed to be more of a 'powerpuncher' than I have seen him and fought abit more like his brother. The commentaters Reg Gutteridge and Jim Watt (who had seen afew of his earlier fights) were under the impression he had as much power as his younger brother. So maybe we need to rethink that he had little power?

However his body shots as previously noted were excellant and in the 4th round bangla just seemed to fold from the pressure and a few clean punches but all of the three knockdowns were quite messy and seemed to be from clipping shots.

Galaxy: 1,2,3
Bangla: KD'd 4 x3
Total: 30-27 Galaxy (3-0)
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #120
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

He certainly didn't have little power.Very good puncher imo, though not as big as his brother.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015