Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #31
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Right. It should be noted that Floyd did have excellent power in both hands. The first knockdown he scored in the rubber match with Ingo was a very short and straight right. Patterson would have been wise to use the hook as a decoy for his right. (It might not have made a difference in the outcome, but we'll never know.)
Boy,

I've been seeing your name all over the forum today. I feel like we're having a Deen-O-Rama.....

Needless to say, I just needed a reason to use the whole Deen-O-Rama thing...... you understand of course........
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #32
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Boy,

I've been seeing your name all over the forum today. I feel like we're having a Deen-O-Rama.....

Needless to say, I just needed a reason to use the whole Deen-O-Rama thing...... you understand of course........
By all means, indulge to your heart's content. You know I'm cool with it.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #33
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
By all means, indulge to your heart's content. You know I'm cool with it.


Say,

I've been thinking about rewriting the Rocky III theme song Eye of the Tiger, in a similar fashion to what the starbucks comercials did a year or so ago.

It would go like this:

Deen-----Deen-Deen-Deen------Deen-Deen-Deen------Deen-Deen----DaDeeeeeeen.

Haven't quite thought of the lyrics yet, but I think I have a pretty good start wouldn't you say? maybe surviver will just hand over the rights to the tune.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 AM   #34
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo


Say,

I've been thinking about rewriting the Rocky III theme song Eye of the Tiger, in a similar fashion to what the starbucks comercials did a year or so ago.

It would go like this:

Deen-----Deen-Deen-Deen------Deen-Deen-Deen------Deen-Deen----DaDeeeeeeen.

Haven't quite thought of the lyrics yet, but I think I have a pretty good start wouldn't you say? maybe surviver will just hand over the rights to the tune.
Thanks for the earworm, friend.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #35
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,909
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwornank
The short answer is he could not have done differently. Floyd had excellent power and great hand speed. He really only knew one way to fight and that was aggressive.

He did not have great leg movement. He was a bit slow footed. (In part this was due to the fact he had one leg slightly shorter than the other) I f you ever observed him walk, he kind of swaggered due to that shorter leg.

He developed his style in the middleweight and light heavy divisions where he was as strong or stronger than his opponents. When he moved up to heavyweight, his style remained the same. However, he was now fighting bigger and sometimes stronger guys.

Floyd continued to do pretty well because he was pound for pound a real good fighter.

Bottom line is, some of the heavyweights (mainly Ali and Liston were too big for him)
good post Floyd was a come forward fighter,he couldnt duplicate Machen and box behind the jab,so he would allways be introuble against bigger stronger guys who could hit,you are right about his defence,and his walk he sort of swaggered ,which was not his demeanour at all,I didnt know it was because of one leg being shorter though,thanks for the info.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #36
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,579
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Thanks for the earworm, friend.
My appolgies.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #37
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
My appolgies.
That's okay. I had an entirely unrelated set of nightmares I just woke up from. Nothing related to ESB though.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #38
Rattler
R.I.P. - George Jones
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Grand Tour
Posts: 2,029
vCash: 75
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Nothing.
Rattler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #39
Ted Stickles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Was there any way for Floyd to save his title? Could he have approached Sonny in a more effective manner?
Either stay home or sneak a gun into the ring with him......
Ted Stickles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #40
Ted Stickles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

But seriously the best thing he should have done was be extrememly mobile and use his speed to pop in and out ala PBF..Liston would most likely slow down in the 2nd half of the fight and would be a little less dangerous
Ted Stickles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #41
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

In order to have a chance, Patterson must not be in Liston's punching range. Since he was not an outside fighter, then inside was the only way. He tried inside but was not inside enough. Maybe Floyd just didnt have the strenght and confidence to stay right inside Liston, leaning on him and giving him no room to punch.
rodney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #42
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Stay home on those particular nights......
RockyJim is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #43
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 1230
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney
In order to have a chance, Patterson must not be in Liston's punching range. Since he was not an outside fighter, then inside was the only way. He tried inside but was not inside enough. Maybe Floyd just didnt have the strenght and confidence to stay right inside Liston, leaning on him and giving him no room to punch.
The same could have been said about Morrison vs. Foreman a match up in which I immediately think of when trying to think of how Patterson could have fought him differently.

Lateral Movement, Consistent Jab and flurries could have enabled Floyd to last longer possibly see him to a decision. His bob and weave should stay where it is but as long as he's circling Sonny in a varied pattern it could work.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #44
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

At that particular time, it probably didn't matter; an old friend of mine, an elderly black man I used to work with and who loved boxing said that Patterson was fixated on destroying the Liston superman myth because he had such overwhelming support and respect around the country (and world) so he went out and fought "the people's fight" and disregarded any common sense. When I see both fights again (I try and watch them as little as possible ) I see the usually slow starting Floyd more active and aggressive from the get go to a much greater extent here then in most of his fights.

My $0.02
jowcol is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What could Patterson have done differently against Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
True,

I don't particularly think that Patterson was as devastating as his numbers might reflect either. When it came to facing some of the larger, stronger heavyweights of the 60's, Floyd certainly appeared less formidable and more vulnerable.
Respectfully disagree. With the exception of, perhaps, a couple of fighters, was there ever a HW that was actually BETTER after losing his title? Double Liston throwdowns because he fought the 'people's fight'. Not that he could have beaten Liston. As the resident Patterson 'nuthugger' he took all the post-Liston sluggers on and went the distance. It was he that lost those fights, not because of his opponents. Shoud have went 3-0-0 against Quarry-Quarry-Ellis. I'd give Floyd a great chance against the 70s HW's.As I've always said, had Floyd come along in prime in the 70's he would ha ve been a chisled 205 lb. wreaking machine. Lyle? Norton? Shaver? Don't tell me those guys walk right thru this left-hook monster! He's an ATG. Why do so many continually rag on Patterson?
jowcol is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013