Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
trip09

vCash: 500
Default Conditioning question

Got a question. I've been working on my conditioning pretty hard for the last couple of months. I use a treadmill year round but after deciding in December that I was for sure going to get into boxing after the holidays, I step it up a good bit and started really pushing myself. I started skipping rope a couple of weeks ago and am suprised how fast I have been able to add more minutes/rounds to that phase. So I think I am getting pretty close to a level that I can really go full force into a boxing session and not gas out too quickly.

My question is, what should I be looking for right now condition-wise? I hit the boxing gym for the first time on Wednesday so its going to be awhile before I have a fight. I know its going to kick my ass becasue I will be doing new things and using muscles in a way I never have before. But should I really be busting my ass with running right now? I currently run about 25-30 miles a week. 3 days a week I run inclines for 20 minutes or I rotate sprinting for 1 minute, then jog for 2, sprint for a minute, etc. etc. I do this for about 25 minutes.

Also, I am doing my heavy bag work, skipping for 10 minutes prior to everything, shadow boxing and hit the speed bag every other day.

THanks.
trip09 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
grumpy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Conditioning question

you're running too much. I assume ur an amateur and youll be fighting for 3 rounds then train for a 3 round fight. Run for 15 mins 3x a week.followed by some wind sprints: 20-20yard sprints with 30 second rest. Run at varied speeds on uphill, down hill, and even surfaces. Remember you run to box not box to run.
grumpy is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
trip09

Thanks for the reply.

My goal is to get my conditioning up so that I will be able to go 3 rounds, full force and not get gassed. Well, get gassed as least as possible. I'm not necessarily get tired, I'm just breathing a lot harder than I would like to be which as we all know, leads to fatigue.

I never skipped rope until just a couple of weeks ago and man, it really kicks me in the ass. BUT, I noticed yesterday that I am able to go the nearly the entire round so I am getting better. Actually, a lot faster than what I expected which I read on here somewhere.

Will doing multiple rounds of 1 minute sprints on the heavy bag be effective in building up my stamina in the ring?

Sorry for all the "stupid" questions and I know I will learn more on Wednesday when I get in the gym. I'm just trying to make the best of my time right now.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

dont hit the heavy bag idf youve never boxed before

guaranteed to train yourself into stupid habits. most commonly dropping the ahnds, throwing punches from the wrong places etc.
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
trip09

SO I should just stick with conditioning for now? I guess that makes sense.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
you're running too much. I assume ur an amateur and youll be fighting for 3 rounds then train for a 3 round fight. Run for 15 mins 3x a week.followed by some wind sprints: 20-20yard sprints with 30 second rest. Run at varied speeds on uphill, down hill, and even surfaces. Remember you run to box not box to run.
This. You're only fighting for 3 1 minute rounds. In other words, train your body for a drag race, not a circuit.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

shadowbox more
dfh85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing