Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1590
Default Re: How often should I be sparring?

i spar 3 or 4 days a week. 1 day will be hard sparring, other days will be only body, others day will be in close sparring and another day will be defensive or my coach will give me something to focus on. Sparring doesnt always have to be real hard, if you are getting hit to much lay of on the sparring a bit and fix why you are getting hit.

But if you are a begginer just focus on getting your technique down for now and gradually pick up your sparing more by using your technique in drills with specific goals.
taj-09 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj-09 View Post
i spar 3 or 4 days a week. 1 day will be hard sparring, other days will be only body, others day will be in close sparring and another day will be defensive or my coach will give me something to focus on. Sparring doesnt always have to be real hard, if you are getting hit to much lay of on the sparring a bit and fix why you are getting hit.

But if you are a begginer just focus on getting your technique down for now and gradually pick up your sparing more by using your technique in drills with specific goals.
Well we do something like that, when we spar we go hard, we focus learning technique on the bag and mits. Then we do body only (I don't consider that sparring) And then hard sparring.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #18
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I honestly feel it should be like a training camp. Once you have the conditioning to spar and already know the basics I think It's best to spar at least once a week and sometimes twice a week. When preparing for a fight I think people should spar from two to three times a week as the fight gets closer.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #19
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I remember at my gym we did sparring 4-5 days a week when preparing for golden gloves. If someone has a fight coming up we try to do some hard rounds with them 2 weeks prior and have them sparring alot. The week before the fight we cool it down just to make sure they don't get injured and can't fight. I would say if you want to get real serious about competiing in the amauters... Spar at least 2 days a week. Once you get into the swing of things it becomes important to be ready. Sometimes a fight will be offered to you a day before or even the day of. Although if your really fresh still you need to have decent stamina to be able to actually spar so maybe your coach wants to prepare you so you can last longer in the sparring sessions.
ben1990 is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #20
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Well we do something like that, when we spar we go hard, we focus learning technique on the bag and mits. Then we do body only (I don't consider that sparring) And then hard sparring.

well your missing the whole point of sparring if you go hard everytime, sparring isnt about kayoing your gym mate evrytime you move around together
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987

2 to 3 times a week is ok
nip102 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #22
CodyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Not really a newbie anymore, been boxing for about a year. And getting ready for Golden Gloves next month
there really is not a set in stone answer it just depends on who you are where you and and what you got coming up. But since you have the golden gloves coming up you should spar at least 3 times a week, until the week of the fight then tone it down
CodyR is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
CodyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj-09 View Post
well your missing the whole point of sparring if you go hard everytime, sparring isnt about kayoing your gym mate evrytime you move around together
youre right when you're talking about beginners sparring but this guy says he got the golden gloves coming up so he should be sparring hard to get ready... if u get someone hurt in sparring u dont wanna be an ass and finish them but yall need to be going hard in preparation for a fight
CodyR is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #24
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyR View Post
there really is not a set in stone answer it just depends on who you are where you and and what you got coming up. But since you have the golden gloves coming up you should spar at least 3 times a week, until the week of the fight then tone it down
We typically do the opposite, we spar about once a week when we don't have fights. But when fights are coming up we bump it up to 2-3. Coach says "You want to leave it in the ring, not in the gym." So I somewhat understand his concept.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
youre right when you're talking about beginners sparring but this guy says he got the golden gloves coming up so he should be sparring hard to get ready... if u get someone hurt in sparring u dont wanna be an ass and finish them but yall need to be going hard in preparation for a fight

the original post didnt say anything about the golden gloves tournament. But you are right if you have a tournament coming up your sparring will have to be hard leading up to the golden gloves
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #26
HTownTexan

vCash:

You should spar often. I spar 4 times a week, 3 normal and one with no headgear and 10oz gloves.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #27
CodyR

Hey htown jus curious what gym u train @?
CodyR is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #28
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
a shit one apparently.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #29
HTownTexan

vCash:

Quote:

I live in a city in the midwest, and I train at a gym there, the location or name of which I am not willing to disclose....

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing