Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default How to enjoy all of boxing when you dislike structure and having to do things?

How to enjoy all of boxing when you dislike structure, stress, and having to do things? That's really what I'm seeking, because I'm about to go back to the gym soon but there's a lot about boxing that I dislike that has nothing to do with the actual sport. It's not the heavybag work, sparring, or increasing my boxing skills, I like those, but the other things.
Like having to go to the gym at a certain time, it's right around supper time and it's dark outside now and I hate that, I'd rather train when I want to or have the training session in the daytime. Like I do when I'm at a fitness center.
Driving out to the gym, I had a car wreck late last year returning from boxing, so if i have one more carwreck I'm screwed, and I can't see well at night when I'll clearly be driivng to and from the gym. So I'm taking a gamble of life by going to the gym to an extent.
Having to do what everyone says at the gym concerning wearing baggy clothes to increase loss of weight/water, the peer pressure involved with it that you need to go to the gym a certain amount of times even when you don't feel like it and the notion that quitting anything is unmanly and leaving the gym before having any fights means you didn't have what it takes and more macho bs I dislike, and my trainer going to pressure me to compete even when I'd prefer to take my time and just train for 3 months to increase my boxing skills for when I go to another gym, but my trainer now has the notion of "If you don't compete, we shouldn't waste your time on you here".
It's not that I don't want to compete, it's that I'm a weekend worker when all the amateur fights are, and I'd like to take my time with amateur boxing and be smart about it, it's not worth getting my head beat in just to feel a belonging at a gym.
I also feel very stressed and obsessed with boxing when I do it, it makes me lose focus on everyday subjects and I screwed up doing work a few times because of the focus on it, and it's usually not a positive obsession or stress.
My parents hate me doing it and try to discourage me from doing it.
Also I'll be paying money in membership, not so bad, but gas money also, so if I'm paying a good amount of money every month I damn well better enjoy just about everything.
So now I want to go back to boxing but I feel all this negativity holding me back, it's not that I don't have what it takes, I do, but I'd just like to go to the gym when I feel like it and just enjoy myself and enjoy life instead of all this negativity around me. I felt depressed and trapped late last year at the end of my boxing because of all the negativity of boxing that has nothing to do with the sport, and I don't want to make that same mistake this time.
But I was happy with how much my boxing skills increased and how much better I got from boxing and I'd like to continue to get better at it.
I just need advice on how to enjoy and cherish my boxing experience with so many obstacles and negativity in the way?
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
G U E R R I E R
Thomas ''Hitman'' Hearns
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 390
Default Re: How to enjoy all of boxing when you dislike structure and having to do things?

Adopt the ''I don't give a ****'' attitude.
G U E R R I E R is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1590
Default Re: How to enjoy all of boxing when you dislike structure and having to do things?

it sounds like you have a vagina, find a set of balls somwhere

dont be to harsh on him guys lols
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

If you're in a gym with 'coaches' that just want to throw you in there without teaching you the proper skills. (and the really boring ones, like stepping right and left, blocking, slipping, defense, etc) then you need to find another gym.

...and what's with forcing you to lose water weight during working out?! That's just negligent.
amy is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Life's all about structure. Why would boxing be any different? You have to take the good with the bad in my opinion.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock49 View Post
Life's all about structure. Why would boxing be any different? You have to take the good with the bad in my opinion.
I agree with that. (but his gym still sounds pretty lame)
amy is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
CrocodileFace
Journeyman

Leaving a tampon in too long can be a gamble on your life also. So the first step is to take yours out... Come back again in a few weeks and tell us how you feel
CrocodileFace is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Man up, my gym is a fair bit away as well. Its at supper time. So ****ing what? I love boxing way more than a car jounrny or missing me supper.

If I had doubts like that, is boxing worth it for you?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocodileFace View Post
Leaving a tampon in too long can be a gamble on your life also. So the first step is to take yours out... Come back again in a few weeks and tell us how you feel
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

The only thing I don't like about boxing is the constant anxiety and nervousness.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
G U E R R I E R
Thomas ''Hitman'' Hearns
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
The only thing I don't like about boxing is the constant anxiety and nervousness.

If you are constantly anxious and nervous you need to take a step back and maybe find different sparring partners..

You are supposed to be relaxed and focused, not nervous or anxious.

Maybe you don't feel like you are up for the challenge when sparring but being in a state of ''fight or flight'' in sparring is just going to make you nervous and make your instinct come out instead of your hard learned reflexes.
G U E R R I E R is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerozene View Post
If you are constantly anxious and nervous you need to take a step back and maybe find different sparring partners..

You are supposed to be relaxed and focused, not nervous or anxious.

Maybe you don't feel like you are up for the challenge when sparring but being in a state of ''fight or flight'' in sparring is just going to make you nervous and make your instinct come out instead of your hard learned reflexes.
This.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
This.
I get nervous too...but I usually snap out of it once my trainer starts screaming at me. Then I'm all ok.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Weigh up the pros and cons then make a decision. You sound like you're in a hard lined old fashion gym but if the oppurtunties there are great there then suck it up. You'll also learn discipline and good character while reaping the rewards of a strong system.

If it's some old ****er who never made it and wants to bag everyone out then I'd be thinking of a better place to train.

On the flip side, my gym had not so much motivation. Not really any rules and everything was very pro choice. I would like a kick up the butt if you know what i mean.
thejokerswild is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing