Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
fairy-dust

vCash: 75
Default what makes a good trainer

my old trainer used to smoke and drink beer around me he used to make fun of people(he called me fairy dust haha)and he never really done one to one training he just said get on with it we wernt allowed to have a drink of water during our sessions either that aint a good trainer in my eyes thats why i quit now im looking to get back into boxing and i dont want the same kind of trainer and i was just wondering what makes a good trainer to you guys/girls anything is fine thanks
fairy-dust is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: what makes a good trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy-dust View Post
my old trainer used to smoke and drink beer around me he used to make fun of people(he called me fairy dust haha)and he never really done one to one training he just said get on with it we wernt allowed to have a drink of water during our sessions either that aint a good trainer in my eyes thats why i quit now im looking to get back into boxing and i dont want the same kind of trainer and i was just wondering what makes a good trainer to you guys/girls anything is fine thanks
Your trainer was a retard. In fact he wasn't a trainer... just a gym owner.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
fairy-dust

suppose so
Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

No suppose about it. Where you from, how old are you? Whats your record?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
andriy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 100

sounds old school. my trainers old school & considered good.
andriy is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
fairy-dust

im from leicester in england im 20 and i havent got a record as of yet but ive found a few gyms im my area that i could join but i dont want a repeat of the last time i went to a gym i am looking to fight in the amatures i think it will be a good buzz
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
fairy-dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by andriy View Post
sounds old school. my trainers old school & considered good.
he might have been a good trainer but he don't train people from the start he more botherd about training the boxers that have come from another gym that already fight amature i dont no if you guys have heard of rendall munroe but he used to fight at a gym then went to my old gym and he's tried to pass this boxer as his own the reason i say tried cus if u didnt no who he is hes a Commonwealth Super Bantamweight champ he only takes intrest in boxers like him not boxers like me
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Well I can't comment on his boxing knowledge, but a good trainer leads by example so the smoking and drinking isn't too bright. Unless it was at a gym BBQ or something, a special occasion.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy-dust View Post
he might have been a good trainer but he don't train people from the start he more botherd about training the boxers that have come from another gym that already fight amature i dont no if you guys have heard of rendall munroe but he used to fight at a gym then went to my old gym and he's tried to pass this boxer as his own the reason i say tried cus if u didnt no who he is hes a Commonwealth Super Bantamweight champ he only takes intrest in boxers like him not boxers like me
Training an established boxer is comparitively easy... making a few changes here and there... Coaching someone from the start takes a great deal of time and effort.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i remember my trainer who smoked putting his fingers in my gob to take my gum shield out.it used to make me and my mates gag.he was though, a master at motivation and a real character.a great bloke

Last edited by turpinr; 01-18-2010 at 07:54 AM.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
trip09

vCash: 500

If you have a few gyms in your area, go in and watch s session or two in each one. They'll probably each let you try it out for a day too.

I'm jealous dude. I'm brand new in boxing and only have one gym to choose from in my area.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
fairy-dust

im glad i have more than 1 club to go to i just want a club i can do my thing and get the help i need or tips on how to improve cheers for the feedback all
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
jof
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1363

I think a good trainer is more of a psychologist than anything else.

Yes they can help with technique, conditioning and strategy but these are often the result of understanding the fighter.

They need to know when to get the fighter sparring, when to give them a break, when the are feeling unconfident and how to turn it around etc.

My trainer knows when I'm scared, being lazy, being too confident and everything in between. He knows my conditioning at all times and knows the strategies to to work with my abilities and which techniques to teach me to get around areas of technical weakness.

Its a funny relationship. I HATE sparring when he's not there. Feel like he's got my back and even if I take a beating he will always talk about the good points before explaining what I could have done better.
jof is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof View Post

Its a funny relationship. I HATE sparring when he's not there. Feel like he's got my back and even if I take a beating he will always talk about the good points before explaining what I could have done better.
i didn't like sparring when my trainer wasn't there either.one night when the trainers youngest son was boxing somewhere else i had his eldest son and another mate in my corner.the ****ers left the sponge down the back of my vestwhen i went out for the last round.bastards
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof View Post
I think a good trainer is more of a psychologist than anything else.

Yes they can help with technique, conditioning and strategy but these are often the result of understanding the fighter.

They need to know when to get the fighter sparring, when to give them a break, when the are feeling unconfident and how to turn it around etc.

My trainer knows when I'm scared, being lazy, being too confident and everything in between. He knows my conditioning at all times and knows the strategies to to work with my abilities and which techniques to teach me to get around areas of technical weakness.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing