Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
fairy-dust

vCash: 75
Default leg ache

when i go for a run my legs ache within the first half a mile and when i push through it i get sharp pains in my shins how can i avoid this because it stops me from running after about a mile and i can hardly walk thats pretty much my only problem at the min ive got the gas in the tank but my legs wont hold out for long
fairy-dust is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: leg ache

Maybe try developing endurance in your lower body? Also look at what footwear you have on? Check your running technique is correct.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
fairy-dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Maybe try developing endurance in your lower body? Also look at what footwear you have on? Check your running technique is correct.
how do i develope my endurance keep running or an other kind of exercise and my trainers and my old ones i used to wear some tatty old trainers with holes in the sole haha i do need to get some running shoes but tthere too dear
Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Dan
BiG DaN
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy-dust View Post
when i go for a run my legs ache within the first half a mile and when i push through it i get sharp pains in my shins how can i avoid this because it stops me from running after about a mile and i can hardly walk thats pretty much my only problem at the min ive got the gas in the tank but my legs wont hold out for long
sounds like shin splints. You should google them to look for cure as im not entirely sure. I used to get them from skipping but once i started staying on my toes more they seemed to disappear. Id give running a rest till they go away and then maybe try stretching or running on the grass instead of pavement.
Dan is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
fairy-dust

i think i might have to run on the grass cus i dont want them again cheers
Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
GreatWhiteHype
Journeyman

If you feel it along the inside of your shins, it's most likely shin splints. I unfortunately have a lot of experience with them. The only real cure is to not run or jump rope for a while. You'll need to find alternate forms of cardio to get you through the next week or two. Swimming, high repitition kettlebell/dumbell swings, heavy bag work, anything that will get your heart rate into the aerobic range and keep it there.

Once you feel okay to run again, reduce the volume from what you did before. If you used to run 4 days a week, run 2 days and do a different form of cardio on the other 2 days.
GreatWhiteHype is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy-dust View Post
how do i develope my endurance keep running or an other kind of exercise and my trainers and my old ones i used to wear some tatty old trainers with holes in the sole haha i do need to get some running shoes but tthere too dear
Fix some trainers. Avoid any impact exercises on your legs.... Use either a cycling maching or bike or cross trainer for cardio work... Or swimming... or punch bag....Anything that doesn't envolve heavy contact with the floor.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Run on grass. Start with very short distances, slowly increase the distances and frequency of your runs.

Get you gait analyzed and buy trainers to match your gait.

Look at ankle flexibility and improve it with the use of bands.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I only get shin splints when I dont warm up/ stretch properly. You shouldn't stretch cold muscles though so try doing lunges and frog hops and stuff before you run any distance.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Run on grass. Start with very short distances, slowly increase the distances and frequency of your runs.

Get you gait analyzed and buy trainers to match your gait.

Look at ankle flexibility and improve it with the use of bands.
Bodi, its jeff thomas... changed my name pal... how are you not seen you post for a while?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hi Jeff - seen a few of your recent posts -there was me thinking "who's this new guy... seems to know his stuff"... I feel like a prat now!

Anyway, i'm good mate, cheers. I haven't had much of a chance to post lately, been crazy busy with work, studies, family stuff etc. Its a big year for me work wise - getting a promotion in a couple of months and there's a lot of stuff that I need to get my teeth into with that, so very little forum activity and it even looks like i'll have to cut down on the training for a while. I'll still be around though, and i'll post when I get the chance.

Take it easy fella.
Bodi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing