Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Fights you shed a tear after

Has a fighter losing ever caused you to shed a tear? Its always sad to see a legend past his prime still fighting, losing to a less than great, fresh young fighter.

Barrera vs Khan. Barrera was far beyond his best and came out like a warrior, suffered a cut from a clash of heads which impaired his vision and then took salvo after salvo from the 'great' muslim hypinator. And it was stopped. The commentators declared Khan for real, and Khan showered himself with flatteries over the win. That whole fight stank. The fact that they'd picked the washed up legend to feed off his name. And this may be bias, but the cut was just as bad in the 1st round and so it shouldve been called a NC there or not at all. But they let them carry on for Khan to gain a lead on the points against a blinded Barrera, so as to give him the victory. Thats how i feel about it anyway. Here in the UK, Khan is hyped as the next big thing, and all week i'd be telling my casual fan friends how great Barrera was and that his shadow would whoop Khan. It felt like the boxing world took a shit on his legacy that night and threw him to the roadside, it really upset me.

Pacquiao vs Morales III. I'll say now Pacquiao is my favourite active fighter, but Morales was my favourite before, and tied with Whitaker and Patterson, my favourite fighter of all time. Past his best he managed to tame the beast that is Pacquiao in their first meeting. He gave him the rematch and lost in war(he doesnt lose any other way), he made Pacquiao famous that night, i felt it was a passing of the torch somewhat. And then he fought him a 3rd time. He had no business taking that fight i feel, however like a true warrior he went for the rubbermatch, i doubt he even questioned it, and was blown out of the water completely. Seeing his face during the 10 count was heartbreaking. And after the fight he had no excuses whatsoever, quite the opposite...

"Maybe it's time I should no longer be doing this. I did everything in camp necessary to win this fight. I didn't win it. It wasn't my night...it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe this is the way to end it. It's a beautiful night, and there's a lot of good people here, it was always a pleasure to give the public great fights."

I love this guy. He was a war-torn veteran out on his shield that night. A true warrior, double hard aztec/spartan hybrid mother****er.

And these two legends gave us the most intense, skillfully competative trilogy of all time! WAR MORALES! WAR BARRERA! MUCH RESPECT!
Pachilles is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fights you shed a tear after

i shed a tear on the inside when i see the holmes-ali fight, or roy jones getting played by calzaghe.
Also suger ray failing at a humiliating way against camacho was sad to see.
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare-borgia View Post
i shed a tear on the inside when i see the holmes-ali fight, or roy jones getting played by calzaghe.
Also suger ray failing at a humiliating way against camacho was sad to see.
The RJJ-Calzaghe fight left me angry, not sad. It's one thing to easily dominate a fighter, it is just disrespectful to showboat, especially when the dominated fighter is a shell of himself.

Although, Roy Jones did showboat against other guys as he was hitting them at will.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Not a tear, but Marciano v Louis is a sad one for me, a real 'passing of the torch' fight
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Gomez/Gatti
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
peter5
Marco.A.Barrera
ESB Addict

vCash: 1562

barrera v pac 1, not actually tearful, shocked more like
peter5 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

I was pissed off at Khan vs Barrera and I'm a Khan fan as well. Barrera was cut in the first round, they let it go to the 5th and then stop it when Barrera is finally starting to tag Khan. Just enough for Khan to get his bogus TD and everyone acts like he knocked Barrear out. **** THAT. I'm still pissed.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Ditto on Khan-Barrera and Gomez-Gatti. Particularly towards the end when Gatti is trying to fight off the ropes and is just looking so inept, everything he is throwing seems to be missing, and Gomez is just waiting for the moment to step in and finish it. Shows just how shot Arturo was.

Ali-Holmes was also a major one, for a long time I didn't watch that whole fight on purpose until I had to do it so I could use footage from it in a video project. I would have been just as happy skipping that, honestly, even if I am pleased at how that project turned out.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 562

The final rounds of Cotto-Pacquiao do not sit well with me.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
peter5
Marco.A.Barrera
ESB Addict

vCash: 1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
I was pissed off at Khan vs Barrera and I'm a Khan fan as well. Barrera was cut in the first round, they let it go to the 5th and then stop it when Barrera is finally starting to tag Khan. Just enough for Khan to get his bogus TD and everyone acts like he knocked Barrear out. **** THAT. I'm still pissed.
I agree, and considering I was there and had paid out for a ticket and the hotel and travel, i wasnt a happy bunny.
peter5 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
Neverchair
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've only shed a tear at one fight.

Bruno vs McCall

Big Frank had been trying for years to win the world title and when he finally did it I got a bit emotional!
Neverchair is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Sad fights for me are Arguello vs Pryor I and II

The first for Arguello putting up such a valient effort to be reduced to crumbling on the ropes.

The second for him (the great warrior) having to bow out.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #13
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali - frazier 3. Both mens abilitys had dipped to the extent that they were pretty much evenly matched. The last 2 rounds are sad to watch for me as we're all wise to whats going on in hindsight and the sight of Joe trudging back to his corner, futch telling him it was over and joe shaking his head and protesting, gives us a real insight into how courageous these men were and how much they were prepared to push themselves. A dying breed. We will never see the likes of these heavyweights again IMO
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #14
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
The RJJ-Calzaghe fight left me angry, not sad. It's one thing to easily dominate a fighter, it is just disrespectful to showboat, especially when the dominated fighter is a shell of himself.

Although, Roy Jones did showboat against other guys as he was hitting them at will.
Well, yeah. I thought it was just a taste of his own medicine. He had a whole career of showboating outmatched opponents. I didn't blame Calzaghe a bit for that and thought it was funny. Of course he made himself look like a jackass too, but I still laughed. (Roy is a better dancer than Calzaghe by far)
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #15
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

Tyson/Lewis
HomicideHenry is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum