Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #31
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Foreman Vs Cooney KO

I recall Holy fought some Irish fighter named Seamus McDonough in June of 1990..... I taped that fight..... Holy KO'd the Irishman in about 4 rds on Showtime... That fight sucked.......

MR.BILL

NOTE:

But it was better then the stupid Michael Spinks KO 3 Stefan Tangsted massacre on HBO earlier in 1986.... That reeked to high heaven....
MRBILL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #32
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cooney should have at least had a few tune-up type fights in order to get back into the swing of boxing before stepping up to face even an older, heavier comebacking George Foreman. He should have fought a few David Jaco, Wimp Halstead type of fighters first. If Foreman had starched a comebacking Cooney who had at least been a little active, I would give more credence to Foreman's victory.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #33
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spion View Post
Been trying to find the interview with Foreman where George said that Cooney hit him with the hardest punch he had ever taken which is why he knew he had to get him out of there. I'll keep looking and post it when I find it.
I think Foreman actually said that Ron Lyle probably hit him harder because Lyle hit so hard he actually went numb from some of the shots, or something to that effect. But he made it sound like Cooney was a close second. But fast forward three years, and George Foreman took some absolute howitzers from Tommy Morrison, who if nothing else could hit like a freakin' mule. I've never heard Foreman comment on the power of Morrison's punches, but Morrison's punches at least looked and sounded harder than anything Cooney threw.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #34
Chris Warren
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Foreman had fought Bert Cooper and Alex Stewart up to that point I believe and if they sucked then put down Holyfield for fighting Stewart 2 times and almost getting knocked out by Cooper. Gil Clancy is a idiot, I heard Clancy say once that Quarry was a harder puncher than Foreman. Clancy just says stupid things because he can.

I didn't think that Cooney hurt Foreman all that badly, but he did seem to stun him a bit. The punch that Cooney that nailed Foreman with - that short little inside left hook - didn't appear to be a rather large or loaded punch, but it caught Foreman just right. Foreman later said in his autobiography that Cooney stung him and didn't realize how hurt he was. Foreman said that if Cooney had realized how shaken up he was, he would have piled on the punishment until he went down.....

So, there that is......

You know Foreman likes to say nice things about people now days right? Foreman has started many times that Lyle punched him Harder than anybody. Cooney caught Foreman off balanced. Foreman had alot of problems with his balance when he was older, he didnt seem hurt at all.
Chris Warren is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #35
Chiefs

Cooney was such a clutz in there lol.
Chiefs is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #36
sitiyzal
ESB Addict

Nice but meaningless ko.
sitiyzal is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #37
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privatejoker View Post
Does the Cooney who fought Holmes beat that version of George?

Would the Cooney of 1982 get KO'd by the George of 1990?
Hard to say. I think the Cooney of 1982 might just catch George with a better left hook and stop him. Cooney could really hit with that left hook.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #38
spittle8
Dropping Fisticuffs
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1404

Foreman was a beast. What a brutal fighter, a joy to watch. I feel bad for Cooney, but at least he didn't get the treatment he handed poor Kenny Norton...
spittle8 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #39
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Cooney brought this on himself ... he wanted short cuts to the big money and a title shot ...he thought Spinks would be a push over and that Foreman would as well ... Cooney was never a fighter again after Holmes beat him ... he went down quite a bit .. he had nothing against Foreman who was so much more active ... if Cooney was not white the match would not have drawn any attention ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #40
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Imagine what he would have done to poor Gerry if was the young Foreman in there.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #41
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
I think Foreman actually said that Ron Lyle probably hit him harder because Lyle hit so hard he actually went numb from some of the shots, or something to that effect. But he made it sound like Cooney was a close second. But fast forward three years, and George Foreman took some absolute howitzers from Tommy Morrison, who if nothing else could hit like a freakin' mule. I've never heard Foreman comment on the power of Morrison's punches, but Morrison's punches at least looked and sounded harder than anything Cooney threw.
Morrison's fight with Foreman was his very best,...forget all those flasy knockouts that Morrison scored in his career, the disciplined, smart fight he fought against Foreman is the one he can always be proud of, and I don't care how old Foreman was at the time...he went on to humiliate and humble Moorer after that. Morrison can hold his head up with pride for that fight. The fighting of a smart fight and utilizing a clever and effective strategy is to me, the older I get as a boxing fan, as impressive or maybe more so than scoring a sensational knockout.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #42
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

****! Its been 20 yrs since Foreman parked Cooney in Jan. 1990 on PPV......... Where the hell does the time fly??? I remember when World Boxing magazine listed that fight as a "Dream" match........ Crimities galore........ I have the blow-out on tape........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #43
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

One of my favorite KO's.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #44
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
One of my favorite KO's.
I was STOKED when Foreman parked Cooney in Atlantic City........ It was great.............. Doug DeWitt hammered Matt Hilton on the undercard..... Christ, Ol' Hilton washed-up quickly in boxing....... He drank, ate and liked ***** too much to be a real fighter for long........... The good ole days.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #45
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunny View Post
Foreman was something special! So casual the way he finished him.

That was some weird cross handed defence he used too. Worked pretty nicely though.

BORKED
George was just so strong. He walked down Cooney, yet Cooney did get off that left hook which sort of swayed George, but George walked him down and knocked him out in just 2 rounds. It was a very good performance at the time I thought. Everyone was saying George would not compete with Tyson, but I thought at the time that he would be the toughest opponent for Mike. A month later Mike fought Douglas. George in January of 1990 when he fought Cooney would have been all Mike Tyson could handle. I am not sure Mike could have handled the size and strength of George Foreman.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum