Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: How good were the British & European Champs (1950-75)?

When I started following boxing in the mid-70s, I know that some European champions were legitimate top contenders. Bugner, Tonna, Chris Finnegan, Minter, Stracey, Green, and Parlov come to mind here. Other European champions were just limited clubfighters, though, who would not have been able to win eight round fights against ham-and-eggers in the USA. Thus, the quality of these champions varied.

In the '70s, if I remember correctly, holding the European belt automatically entitled a fighter to a top ten world rating with the WBC. Whether that fighter could remain in the top ten was something else altogether, though.
kenmore is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

An interesting fact here is that in 1975 (after losing a title fight to Ali), Joe Bugner dumped his European belt because he didn't want to be burdened by having to defend it against mediocre mandatory challengers. At the time, Bugner was focused on world class competition, so holding the European belt was a hindrance to him.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #18
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

From the film that I have seen of them, Henry Cooper, Joe Bugner and Jack Bodell were actually pretty good fighters.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
A lot of older guys that saw Charnley live reckon he was better than Buchanan.

Not sure i'd agree with that, but he's a seriously underrated fighter who was quite poorly managed from what i've read.Thrown into a lot of fights at short notice against bigger opponents etc.
Mickey Duff ,in his auto biography heartily endorses this opinion.
Charnley matched against Griffith was a mismatch.Charnley's manager was money orientated ,sometimes at Dave's expense.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Mickey Duff ,in his auto biography heartily endorses this opinion.
Charnley matched against Griffith was a mismatch.Charnley's manager was money orientated ,sometimes at Dave's expense.
He certainly didn't mind fighting Welterweights.He stopped Pete Waterman beat Jose Stable and gave Brian Curvis all the trouble he could handle in his last year.The Griffith fight was madness although he still managed to go 9 rounds.I think Dave himself must have thought better of it after that and retired at 29! I believe he did very well in his retirement.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
From the film that I have seen of them, Henry Cooper, Joe Bugner and Jack Bodell were actually pretty good fighters.
That's possibly stretching it a bit far Mr Magoo, but he was game!
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #22
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k. View Post
He certainly didn't mind fighting Welterweights.He stopped Pete Waterman beat Jose Stable and gave Brian Curvis all the trouble he could handle in his last year.The Griffith fight was madness although he still managed to go 9 rounds.I think Dave himself must have thought better of it after that and retired at 29! I believe he did very well in his retirement.

He certainly did ,and thoroughly deserved it ,he comes from the next town to me.Today he would have been a World Champ.imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #23
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k. View Post
That's possibly stretching it a bit far Mr Magoo, but he was game!

I agree that Jack Bodell was hardly what most consider as a great fighter persay. I admit that the footage I've seen of him was limited, but from what I could tell, his boxing skills were sound, he just lacked in defense and a good chin. Offensively he was okay. His record from 1967-1971 wasn't that bad. He went on a streak where he beat a large number of good fighters while losing few times during this period, but again, I agree that he was limited.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #24
Beau Geste
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Unfortunately I have to disagree with Bodell and Cooper. These two did a lot to create the horizontal heavyweight reputation British heavies had until Lewis showed up.

Bodell was especially bad. See his one round demolition by Jerry Quarry as an example.
Beau Geste is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #25
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt View Post
joe bugner was a talanted fighter but lacked the killer instinct to be truly great
"Joe was allways critisized for not having a killer punch, & only doing just enough to last the distance. However nothing could be further from the truth. On march 11th 1969, Joe took on Ulrich Regis @ Shoreditch town hall. Unfortunatly Regis died in hospital after the fight, which must have effected Bugner's mind for the rest of his career.
Joe was born in Szoren, Hungary on 13/3/50, the family moved to st ives Cambridgeshire, after the Soviet invasion in 1956. He reinvented himself in the 80's, as Aussie Joe Bugner, & beat James"Bonecrusher"Smith, for the meaningless WBF strap aged 49!."
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #26
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I agree that Jack Bodell was hardly what most consider as a great fighter persay. I admit that the footage I've seen of him was limited, but from what I could tell, his boxing skills were sound, he just lacked in defense and a good chin. Offensively he was okay. His record from 1967-1971 wasn't that bad. He went on a streak where he beat a large number of good fighters while losing few times during this period, but again, I agree that he was limited.
He was very game and awkward.I remember Henry Cooper saying when he fought him the 2nd time he kept tripping over Jack's feet,they were so awkwardly placed!
ron u.k. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum