Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: MMA's Fedor shows some great punching technique (reminiscent of Monzon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Such as?
A fat MMA guy threw it, therefore it can't have been anything more than your typical bar room brawl haymaker.

Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: MMA's Fedor shows some great punching technique (reminiscent of Monzon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You're missing absolutely nothing. No mixed martial artist does anything for me in regards to punching technique, not even the great Fedor. Penn has solid fundamentals but is nothing special himself, and it's true, striking with your hands is a small part of what MMA consists of, but 80% of them are so bad at it...it's hardly an excuse. I sound like an MMA hater, but keep in mind, I watch most events and have been watching UFC since it got regular air time on Cable TV. I do find it amusing though that the crowd most appreciate a stand up brawl with two guys throwing punches and nothing else. The number 1 rated UFC fight of all time was just that, and then the UFC boom began. What Griffin and Bonnar essentially fought in the finale was a Boxing match...a terrible one at that.
I agree that most MMA artists have pretty poor technique in comparison to boxers (obviously), but there's nothing to criticize in Fedor's technique in the clip. It is a beautiful punch.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #18
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

It was surely a great punch by Fedor but overall I wouldn't say that he has great punching, or boxing technique. It works for him though. Arlovski probably has the more orthodox striking techniques and see how he ended up.

Of course Arlovski tends to back straight up with his hands on his waist and was throwing a flying knee while leaving himself completely open so he isn't truly a great technical striker either.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxfzO_tHvd8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYbZgGtWUQ8[/ame]
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #20
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Fedor just has such natural fighting and punching instincts and innate ability, though a lot of it is brought out through his wealth of experience against all manner of opponent.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Thanks for the explanation Pea
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #22
Arka

Fedor's overhand right reminds me a bit of Max Baer.
I can't really see much of Monzon in his punching.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #23
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Fedor's overhand right reminds me a bit of Max Baer.
I can't really see much of Monzon in his punching.
I haven't said he punches like Monzon as a style, it was just the single shot he threw that knocked Rogers out (see clip on 1st page) reminded me of a little technique I have seen Monzon use.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #24
Arka

Fedor has a decent right,but still don't why he should be compared of all boxers with Monzon.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #25
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

I'm not a MMA fan, but Fedor is a true great. Keep in mind those MMA gloves are very light and designed to produce Ko's. Still that was a vicious right hand.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Fedor has a decent right,but still don't why he should be compared of all boxers with Monzon.
Still not getting it. Have you read my opening post, or only the thread-title? I am clearly not saying Fedor fights like Monzon, boxes like Monzon, or throws every punch like Monzon, I am saying that the one shot in isolation that he knocked out Rogers with was reminiscent of a technique Monzon often used.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #27
Arka

Could someone else explain what point Popkins is trying to make?
Fedor doesn't pull his arm back and telegraph his power punches?
He has after all well rounded development in his shoulders . Is that it?
Arka is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #28
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Could someone else explain what point Popkins is trying to make?
Fedor doesn't pull his arm back and telegraph his power punches?
He has after all well rounded development in his shoulders . Is that it?
This is very strange. Why do you seem unable to separate "Fedor's style" from "a single punch in isolation"??? The thread is focusing on one punch, as I have now said three times. It is not about Fedor's style being like Monzon's style overall. Why is this difficult for you? Very odd indeed.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #29
Arka

I get it. I disagree.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #30
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

The only thing you could pick at that hit was the strong lean afterwoods but this served a purpose in the mma context.

Currently, if there were one example to show someone a kamakazi right.. it would definitely be that one.

Btw that 'fat mma dude' is probably one of the greatest fighters of all time. His career is so perfect that if we were in ancient times, he might be considered something else.
thejokerswild is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum