boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Twitter MMA Facebook Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
mcvey
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ketchel vs Johnson news read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
No it is not a joke. Burns got in a right hand early, and swelling on Johnson’s left eye can be seen in the film and photos.

A historian is a research person and an archivist. I do both. In addition, I have boxed, and study / break down films. I have seen at least a 1,000 boxing matches and own many dvd's and boxing tapes. Having said that there are plenty who know more than me.

If you have astigmatism, that's fine. Just don't call people out on numbers, or dates which is something I've seen you do before.
I study films ,have magazines going back to the early 50s ,over a hundred books on the subject ,and boxed ,gloved and bareknuckle.When you call someone out in my country you are inviting them to step out the door for a decider,I dont get your numbers and dates sentence.Ps post a photo of Johnsons eye please.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #17
mcvey
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
I study films ,have magazines going back to the early 50s ,over a hundred books on the subject ,and boxed ,gloved and bareknuckle.When you call someone out in my country you are inviting them to step out the door for a decider,I dont get your numbers and dates sentence.Ps post a photo of Johnsons eye please.
I started watching boxing in1958,how about you? Im not a historian ,just a fan.The difference between us seems to be in how we perceive ourselves ,I think you know what I mean.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #18
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
"The fight film shows Johnson had a black eye" Is this a joke?Burns didnt win a round .Johnson was well known to stretch the truth,I havent even taken in to account his version of the Ketchel fight ,he said the Willard fight was fixed I dont beleive him ,Im more persuaded by the evidence of my own eyes and the account by Smith which was given in 1970,not when Smith was employed by Johnson.I think you find it hard to saty anything without sounding condescending ,thats the trouble with you,,why call yourself a Historian and an archivist? Youre asking to be deflated .,dont worry too much about my grammar ,[I have astygmatism ]which often leads to mispelling and innapropriate spacing ,just look at the content,not the packaging.
Mcvey,

Looking back at a 2007 post, I find this one revealing. You said you said:

Quote:
I have astygmatism ]which often leads to mispelling and innapropriate spacing ,just look at the content,not the packaging. -Mcvey
Fast forward to 2014, I'm guessing it was corrected. Now here’s what I do not understand,. You often trying to make fun of other posters misspelled words. If you read what you wrote in 2007, I think you will see a few mistakes of your own.

Some guys here don't care or use a spell check, but coming from someone who had a problem one would think you wouldn't be so venomous on the topic. I never saw a person with a problem that was corrected attack others who for all you know had similar issues.

Its like a guy who had glasses that was corrected by surgery making fun of someone with glasses.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #19
klompton2
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I dont know why you bumped this thread Mendoza. Its only embarrassing to people like you who want so badly to believe that Ketchel had a snow***** chance in hell with Johnson.
klompton2 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #20
Perry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Gunboat Smith was at ringside and sparred with Johnson for this bout. He stated flat out the bout was faked. Johnson could have knocked Ketchel out at any time he choose and that the KD of Johnson was also faked. I see no reason to discredit in any way his eye witness and probable inside observations and comments.
Perry is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #21
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton2 View Post
I dont know why you bumped this thread Mendoza. Its only embarrassing to people like you who want so badly to believe that Ketchel had a snow***** chance in hell with Johnson.
I'd pick Jack Johnson to beat a limited Ketchel 17 out of 20 times in 1909. I think Ketchel is an over rated old timers based on two films, and some un-even performances.

Johnson has been KO'd by men under 175 pounds, and lost and drew to lesser men. There is my reasoning for Ketchel's chances. You are free to add your own odds.

The bump was for a very different reason. Please re-read the new reply and you'll see why.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #22
mcvey
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Mcvey,

Looking back at a 2007 post, I find this one revealing. You said you said:

Fast forward to 2014, I'm guessing it was corrected. Now here’s what I do not understand,. You often trying to make fun of other posters misspelled words. If you read what you wrote in 2007, I think you will see a few mistakes of your own.

Some guys here don't care or use a spell check, but coming from someone who had a problem one would think you wouldn't be so venomous on the topic. I never saw a person with a problem that was corrected attack others who for all you know had similar issues.

Its like a guy who had glasses that was corrected by surgery making fun of someone with glasses.
Astigmatism is easily corrected by wearing glasses, in my case it was shown by a blurring of vision at long distance. My eye is shaped like a rugby ball.I've no idea why you chose to unearth an 8 years old post and I could care even less.
Perhaps you have too much time on your hands?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #23
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Astigmatism is easily corrected by wearing glasses, in my case it was shown by a blurring of vision at long distance. My eye is shaped like a rugby ball.I'v e no idea why you chose to unearth an 8 years old post and I could care even less.Perhaps you have too much time on your hands?
Oh, it just shows what type of person you really are. Making fun of others for spelling or grammar errors when you had the same problem?!

WOW.

I found this post because I read Perry's reply that one of Ketchel blows hurt Johnson, so I did a search in the system as I recall posting the fight report before.

As for time on the weekdays, I have a little free time at work between calls, presentations and visits. Most do.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #24
klompton2
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just because Perry thinks Ketchel legitimately hurt Johnson doesnt make it so. Johnson gave Ketchel a hellacious ass whipping without even trying. Literally he wasnt even trying and he cut ketchels lips, cheek, closed an eye, knocked out his front teeth, and on Ketchels own words left him a physical wreck for six months and unable to eat solid food for three weeks. You really want to pretend its some feather in Ketchel's cap because Perry imagines that Ketchel made Johnson "stutter step" on the way to doing all of that to him while literally carrying him??? Jesus, some of you guys with an agenda get so ridiculous at the things you will grasp onto in order to try to satisfy yourself.
klompton2 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #25
mcvey
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Oh, it just shows what type of person you really are. Making fun of others for spelling or grammar errors when you had the same problem?!

WOW.

I found this post because I read Perry's reply that one of Ketchel blows hurt Johnson, so I did a search in the system as I recall posting the fight report before.

As for time on the weekdays, I have a little free time at work between calls, presentations and visits. Most do.
I hope you are not confusing me with someone who gives a flying f*ck what you think?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #26
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Mendoza,

I wouldnt mind seeing those original pictures of the bruises and swelling that you said you would produced, please. I am not sure if you ever did post them but i cant remember ever seeing them.

If i recall correctly, Johnson didnt ever claim a fixed fight as such. But as suggested earlier in this thread, he toyed and carried Ketchell. And then took a little fall so that it would sell the films. Ketchell got excited at this point and came wildly at johnson where Johnson caught him clean.

Like (i think) most, i believe this version. If it is true, you need to ask yourself, was this the bravest move of all time by Jack Johnson. Supposedly the most hated fighter ever, in a crooked and corrupt time, having allegedly been previously robbed of a fight with Hart due to his colour, and waging a war with the white race, in a fight where all the judges and decision makers were white.

He takes a dive and gives them a reason to take his title away if it goes to a points decision. I think this was a huge gamble, no matter how far he had been outclassing Ketchell.

I had always thought this was the last scheduled round of the fight which i understand now was not the case as there were still 10 rounds to go (this is correct i think). Either way, as others have comment, Johnson was falling or moving forward when the punch landed. Given that Ketchell had thought he knocked him down fairly (assuming it wasnt fair) it must have been a pretty clean punch and had to shake up Johnson a bit. Full credit to him for getting up and if he looked a little hurt, perhaps this is why.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #27
mcvey
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Mendoza,

I wouldnt mind seeing those original pictures of the bruises and swelling that you said you would produced, please. I am not sure if you ever did post them but i cant remember ever seeing them.

If i recall correctly, Johnson didnt ever claim a fixed fight as such. But as suggested earlier in this thread, he toyed and carried Ketchell. And then took a little fall so that it would sell the films. Ketchell got excited at this point and came wildly at johnson where Johnson caught him clean.

Like (i think) most, i believe this version. If it is true, you need to ask yourself, was this the bravest move of all time by Jack Johnson. Supposedly the most hated fighter ever, in a crooked and corrupt time, having allegedly been previously robbed of a fight with Hart due to his colour, and waging a war with the white race, in a fight where all the judges and decision makers were white.

He takes a dive and gives them a reason to take his title away if it goes to a points decision. I think this was a huge gamble, no matter how far he had been outclassing Ketchell.

I had always thought this was the last scheduled round of the fight which i understand now was not the case as there were still 10 rounds to go (this is correct i think). Either way, as others have comment, Johnson was falling or moving forward when the punch landed. Given that Ketchell had thought he knocked him down fairly (assuming it wasnt fair) it must have been a pretty clean punch and had to shake up Johnson a bit. Full credit to him for getting up and if he looked a little hurt, perhaps this is why.
He never posted them and he never will.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 AM   #28
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The film shows Johnson held Ketchel up. It was like adult sparring with child.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #29
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
I hope you are not confusing me with someone who gives a flying f*ck what you think?
Yes, I think you care what some others think here.

Just exposing you as a cancerous old man who had issues writing, and spelling. In recent years you often try to make fun of others who make similar mistakes. Wow.

I think that act is over, as I will repost what you said if I see you attacking others in this fashion. I archived it, along with your not honoring a bet if Ruhlin vs. Fitz was filmed.

Back to Kethcel as he has been front page news. Do you still think he didn't produce a big mark on Johnson's face? Check round 7
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #30
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Mendoza,

Boilermaker,

Read the below fight report.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

" I must say he has given me a sorer chin that I ever had before. " - Jack Johnson said this in his dressing room after the fight.

>>>Ketchel does not land much at all on the film I have seen, yet what little he did damage. This says two things. 1 ) Ketchel is a good pound for pound puncher. 2 ) Johnson's ability to take a good punch that landed isn't the best...even when he had 40 pounds on his man.

" I am in better condition now than Johnson now. Look at him, he's dazed " But for that one blow I would have beaten him " Ketchel right after the fight.

Reason says that the knockdown did in fact hurt Johnson. Sometimes fighters are most dangerous when they are hurt. The press also says Johnson was in a daze. Are they ( Johnson, Ketchel, and the press ) all lying on their quotes? Highly unlikely.

Also read round 7 as it proves Ketchel produced a big lump on Johnson's face. Hardly the script of a fix.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum