Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Berserker

vCash: 500
Default Questions of a short heavyweight

Greetings! New to this forum and already learned a lot from reading it, now I have some questions too. I used the search function and did find some answers, but not specific enough or without a conclusion. It would be awesome if you could take your time to help a boxing beginner

I'm fairly short for a heavyweight (5'11" / 180cm), so I try to use that to my advantage by going to the inside a lot. I've looked at videos of similar guys (Frazier, Tyson, Tua, ...) to learn this specific style. I am going to a gym, but because there are a lot of people there the trainer doesn't have time to teach everyone his own style, so we all learn some kind of outfighter style, that's why I'm asking here.

a) We learned that when hooking, you pivot the foot you hook with; i.e. left hook, pivot left foot; right foot, pivot right foot. Looking at videos of the guys mentioned above, they all don't do that. They keep the front foot rooted to the ground for all hooks and only use their hips to drive the punch. They also seem to keep the palm facing them, which is not what I've learned or read here. Is it because they're sloppy, or is there a reason that the infighter/swarmer guys tend to hook that way?

b) My trainer teaches a pretty square stance and I like it, because it lets me use both hands to hook/uppercut more efficiently, but I read here that it's not that good to stand square because your lower body is unprotected. Does that apply to short guys too? I'm supposed to bob/weave/crouch a lot anyways to get inside, so my body shouldn't be that unprotected, but I'm curious what you have to say about it.

I had more things to ask, but I can't think of them right now :(

Any help on these questions would be _greatly_ appreciated, as would be general tips/hints/... for a beginner boxer who wants to be an infighter/swarmer, out of necessity (short) and because it's my favourite style

Regards, Ben.
Berserker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Questions of a short heavyweight

People are partly taught to throw the hook with their palm facing down because it forces you to throw it straight, rather than from low to high. So if you're a short guy throwing shots upwards it makes sense to throw it the other way.

If you're going to stand on the outside and box then you can't afford to open yourself up by standing square. If you're rushing inside then make sure you keep "elbows to shoulders" (don't know how to explain this in words, maybe somebody else knows what i mean) to avoid being a walking target.
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

i was a short heavy as well. I think if you want to learn the style you describe, you do have to square up and bend your knees a bit more than the classic boxing style they teach you as a beginner. My trainer actually taught me to square up a bit more, as its more comfortable throwing short hooks and uppercuts on the inside, and is easier to bob and weave in.

The main issue is that if you do square up, you are a much bigger target, so you need to always keep your hands up high and inside and outside parries as well as head movement need to be your bread and butter. I found that hanging up a homemade maizebag and practicing getting in close at home, making sure i kept my hands up and was generally covered up, improved me a lot, and you should start doing this very very frequently.

Also, you may find that as you get experienced, you will start tweaking the style a bit to suite the way you feel most comfortable boxing. I started out trying to swarm inside and be on the front foot and kept getting picked off by taller guys who were faster than me. So i developed this wierd style where I had my hands very high up, and leaned back slightly with my weight on my back foot. I would always be moving forward, but waited for my opponent to throw his straight punches first, parry them while moving inside and throwing loads of punches to the head and body and then keep moving forward again waiting for him to move. It wasn't a very typical style, and in many times I felt it didn't lend itself well to judging, but it worked beter for me than the other things i tried.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
KTFO

vCash:

If you tend to go pro then lose some weight, maybe like Celestino Caballero at super-bantam, and have superiour height advantage.
If not, train as a heavyweight and follow the instructions of your personal trainer.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Berserker

@ SILVIO_DANTA: Thanks, that explanation sounds reasonable. I don't really know what you mean with "elbows to shoulders" though.

@ avk47: Thanks for that. I'll try to make my own maizebag and maybe a slip rope. One problem I have is covering up my abdominal region. I really have to forcefully push my arms together to get them together close enough to guard that area. What I like doing is hold my fists under my cheekbones and guard my sides with the arms, but then my front area is unguarded ...

@ KTFO: I'd have to lose a lot of weight to move down a weight class. I do follow the instructions of my trainer, but there are lots of people in the gym so he can't explain the inside/swarmer style just to me.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
@ SILVIO_DANTA: Thanks, that explanation sounds reasonable. I don't really know what you mean with "elbows to shoulders" though.

@ avk47: Thanks for that. I'll try to make my own maizebag and maybe a slip rope. One problem I have is covering up my abdominal region. I really have to forcefully push my arms together to get them together close enough to guard that area. What I like doing is hold my fists under my cheekbones and guard my sides with the arms, but then my front area is unguarded ...

@ KTFO: I'd have to lose a lot of weight to move down a weight class. I do follow the instructions of my trainer, but there are lots of people in the gym so he can't explain the inside/swarmer style just to me.
How long have you been boxing? The boxing stance takes a while to get comfortable with but its crucial. Also, you will lever be fully covered unless you are a gorilla. You need to cover up with your arms ellbows as you react to punches. This should come by pivoting your torso, not by just moving your arms, and should twist you in a way that allows you to transfer the weight in the other direction and fire off your own bent arm shots.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Neill Ryan

Hi there,

I found a site where you can ask the British Olympic coach!

it might help a bit...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Neill Ryan is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post

You still have two options if your trainer doesn't explain styles just to you. Ask him after the regular lessons. Maybe he got a few minutes for your questions.
If you're that into boxing then pay a personal trainer. It's really worth it cause he sees your moves and explains what you're doing wrong.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Berserker

@ KTFO: Probably a good idea.

@ Neill Ryan: That's a cool site, thanks for that.

@ avk47: I'm very new to boxing, joined the gym 3 months ago but had to pause for almost a month now because I'm not near my gym at the moment, so I have about 2 months of experience.

Something that I'm still totally confused about is when to pivot what foot. Nobody really agrees on that. The only thing I know is how my favourite fighters do it, but someone once told me that even pros can be sloppy, so I don't know ...
How I do it right now during shadow boxing/heavy bag hitting is that I pivot my right foot for everything except the jab and the left uppercut (I suck at uppercuts though)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2863

learn to slip the jab
tony mush is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing