Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Shoulder pain

Weeks ago after a workout on the heavy bag my left shoulder started hurting, it hurt for a few, maybe 4, days. Then I got surgery so I haven't been allowed to work out hard for about 2 weeks but I just tried shadow boxing a little and everytime I throw a left hook my shoulder hurts a bit. There are some other motions that cause a little pain, but mostly the left hook. Does it just need more time to heal?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
dimi_dinev

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shoulder pain

Tell a little more about the injury. Did the pain come after a single movement or punch, or did it start hurting after cooling down after the training? Then, what kind of pain was it, where precisely? Finally what kind of surgery did you get? Was it in relation to your shoulder?

(Be careful with your shoulders! I have prolems with mine, and shoulder traumata are difficult to heal.)
dimi_dinev is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi_dinev
Tell a little more about the injury. Did the pain come after a single movement or punch, or did it start hurting after cooling down after the training? Then, what kind of pain was it, where precisely? Finally what kind of surgery did you get? Was it in relation to your shoulder?

(Be careful with your shoulders! I have prolems with mine, and shoulder traumata are difficult to heal.)
The pain occured during the cool down period, I didn't notice it during the actual work-out. It wasn't a sharp pain and it wasn't really that bad, it made me limit my motions a bit, but I never even had to take an advil. The surgery was for my thyroid, totally unrelated, but it kept me from working out and discovering that the pain hadn't gone away all the way for a few weeks. The exact location of the pain is kind of difficult to pin down right now because I only feel it breifly when I throw a hook, but it seems to be located mostly around the deltoid muscle on the side. Any help will be much appreciated.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Another thing I neglected to mention. When I raise my arm up and bring it down there's a kind of click or popping sound at the shoulder.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #5
littleguy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

First up, if it hurts, don't do it. Like the man said, be careful with your shoulders.

It sounds like you may have some calcium buildup in the joint. The click/popping you hear may be a tendon catching on the calcium as it slides across the surface of the bone when you rotate the shoulder.

The only way to know for sure is to see an orthopedic surgeon. In the meantime, don't aggravate it.
littleguy is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer
Weeks ago after a workout on the heavy bag my left shoulder started hurting, it hurt for a few, maybe 4, days. Then I got surgery so I haven't been allowed to work out hard for about 2 weeks but I just tried shadow boxing a little and everytime I throw a left hook my shoulder hurts a bit. There are some other motions that cause a little pain, but mostly the left hook. Does it just need more time to heal?
Yes, it is advisable to take time off after surgery. Do not even think of pressuring that left shoulder if you want to go back to boxing.
SweetScience is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #7
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScience
Yes, it is advisable to take time off after surgery. Do not even think of pressuring that left shoulder if you want to go back to boxing.
For how long do you think? There's a good sports medicine doctor in my town, should I go see him?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #8
4eyes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

sounds like a touch of Bursitus an inflamation of the rotator cuff get some Aleve (naproxin) its a good anti inflamatory and alternate ice/heat
4eyes is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #9
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer
For how long do you think? There's a good sports medicine doctor in my town, should I go see him?
Yes go see him. Different doctors opinions would vary. But I suggest that you rest that for at least 1 month.
SweetScience is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #10
MrSmall
Journeyman

Maybe you injured your rotator cuff.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Posts like this are stupid. First, if it hurts don't do it, I would have thought that was obvious. Second, why is everyone trying to diagnose an injury over the Internet? The best thing the OP can do is go see a doctor.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 AM   #12
dimi_dinev

Go and see the doctor. Anything posted in the forum would be pure speculation, like viru§ said.

How has the situation evolved, almost a week after your first post?
dimi_dinev is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing