Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #31
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Muscle-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
30 proper pullups? That's a ****ing lot. Honestly, 6 is my maximum.

Well I am a small guy which gives me an advantage when doing bodyweight exercises. I doubt in the last 4 years there has been a period longer than a couple of weeks where I have not done pullups at least once per week. I also train for strength not size, heavy weights low reps.

I would suggest weighted pull ups I noted a big difference and improvement in my overall max once I started adding resisatnce. The problem I have now when doing weighted pullups is I can't add more weight because the grip on my left hand goes on the last set, I could do more reps but my grip isn't strong enough, need to work on that.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #32
Leon20

vCash: 1000

There's a muscle-up tutorial on beastskills.com - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here's a one arm muscle-up, it's not too pretty but still ****ing impressive [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj48SlxgU1Q[/ame]
Leon20 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #33
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

I have far more respect for people who can do shit like that than I do for bodybuilders and powerlifters. That's not saying much, but those muscle ups look insane

Quote:
Still no-one that does them? Maybe I should've posted this in the Lounge, most of the lads in there probably do a few hundred of these as part of their ninja training.
Squire is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #34
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon20 View Post
There's a muscle-up tutorial on beastskills.com - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here's a one arm muscle-up, it's not too pretty but still ****ing impressive [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Damn thats impressive, I thought muscle ups were tough but 1 arm! That along with planche pushups is something I'd love to be able to do.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #35
Leon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber View Post
Damn thats impressive, I thought muscle ups were tough but 1 arm! That along with planche pushups is something I'd love to be able to do.
Yeah, suppose it just takes years and years of dedication and smart training.
Leon20 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #36
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon20 View Post
Yeah, suppose it just takes years and years of dedication and smart training.
Yep clearly it takes a lot of dedication. I once started a training to do planche pushups I got to the 2nd stage where I could quite easily support my bodyweight with legs tucked up to my chest ended up ****ing wrist up for about 2 months. Will probably try again sometime but take it more slowly.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #37
Leon20

Quote:
Yep clearly it takes a lot of dedication. I once started a training to do planche pushups I got to the 2nd stage where I could quite easily support my bodyweight with legs tucked up to my chest ended up ****ing wrist up for about 2 months. Will probably try again sometime but take it more slowly.
yeh I gave progressions towards a planche a go a couple of yrs ago myself and was typically immature and impatient with it, if I give it a go again gonna be sure to take it really slowly.
Leon20 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #38
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

Quote:
Well I am a small guy which gives me an advantage when doing bodyweight exercises. I doubt in the last 4 years there has been a period longer than a couple of weeks where I have not done pullups at least once per week. I also train for strength not size, heavy weights low reps.

I would suggest weighted pull ups I noted a big difference and improvement in my overall max once I started adding resisatnce. The problem I have now when doing weighted pullups is I can't add more weight because the grip on my left hand goes on the last set, I could do more reps but my grip isn't strong enough, need to work on that.

What do you use for the weighted pullups? I've tried putting weights in a backpack before but it's really uncomfortable. I was looking at weighted vests but they're about a hundred quid, so **** that.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #39
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What do you use for the weighted pullups? I've tried putting weights in a backpack before but it's really uncomfortable. I was looking at weighted vests but they're about a hundred quid, so **** that.
I use a back pack it was very uncomfortable at first but I got used to it. I then got a dipping belt to go with it once I could not fit anymore weights in the back pack.

I would love to buy a weighted vest but can't really justify the cost.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #40
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

One of the main thing people get wrong is the grip -

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It hurts...
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #41
brown_bomber
BROWN BOMBER
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1597

Quote:
30 proper pullups? That's a ****ing lot. Honestly, 6 is my maximum.
i can manage 10 proper form pull ups, getting too 30 would be a huge achievment, will probably start doing towel pull ups that should help with building strength up
brown_bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #42
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
One of the main thing people get wrong is the grip -

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It hurts...

I read about it and struggled to understand what the **** the bloke was on about. That's a great picture, cheers.
Rakim is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing