Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #31
Punisher73
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gaining Pounds The Modern Way

To gain weight you have to have more calories in than calories out. PERIOD!

Bodybuilders are masters of getting fat in the off season and taking lots of drugs to compete. Relying on them for nutrition is ridiculous! Every year 4-5 bodybuilders die from diet complications during contest time.

Look at Michael Phelps, he eats a CRAP LOAD of food, including fast foods and chinese food to get in enough calories to support his training.

Old school bodybuilders and powerlifters used to drink a gallon of milk throughout the day to gain weight and size. I would suggest trying that. Breakdown for a gallon of milk.

Skim Milk - 1280 calories; 0g fat; 192g carbs; 128g [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
1% Milk - 1600 calories; 40g fat; 192g carbs; 128g [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
2% Milk - 1920 calories; 80g fat; 192g carbs; 128g [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Whole Milk - 2400 calories; 128g fat; 192g carbs; 128g [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Guarantee that is cheaper and healthier than buying a whole bunch of supplements that you don't know what's really in it. The other thing about those supplements at GNC, etc. is that the bodybuilders don't actually use them. Bodybuilders get their size through chemical enhancement that is not bought over the counter at the mall.
Punisher73 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #32
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Overpriced, utter shite!

Get in the kitchen, raid the fruit bowl and make a smoothie.

This is half the problem with the world and the obese kids that we see waddling out of the bakery with bag full of pork pies at every opportunity. People search for solutions in a bottle - they don't exist! Performance is built in the kitchen, the gym and in bed - if you want more performance, spend more time in the kitchen, more time in the gym and more time in bed. People can't be arsed learning how to cook, or learn about nutrition and how it relates to performance.
I do it every morning Its not the best way to gain weight but Im not interested in that. I eat as much as I want and although Im not as heavy as some people would like to be I feel great.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #33
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Bodybuilders are the master of their diet for a specific event - ask someone to follow a bodybuilding diet for their fight prep and the chances are that they will die in the ring from dehydration. For boxing, it is imperative to follow a boxing specific diet.

This sums it up perfectly. Look for performance and health.
Forget bodybuilders(although they are insanely educated in nutrition) and lets just go straight to the Sports Nutritionist who sells the stuff.

The owner is a ironman and dietician, all the supplements are engineered for performance over various sports. Sure you'll need knowledge of boxing nutrition to be a boxer and they won't be experts in that field but supplements engineered to concentrate and enhance the nutrition in athletes.

You're living in the stone age if you think the world class fighters going up in weight like david haye would choose a fkn banana over a premium vitamin stack. Supplements don't replace food but just concentrate its useful properties into simple portions.

Highly useful creatine is found in meat. To get the amount you'll find in the powder form you'll surely need to eat a cow.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 02-17-2010 at 06:08 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #34
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Creatine overloading, doesnt do the reproduction organs any good at all. Once in its very hard for it to get out, it causes spots I wonder why.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #35
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

modern society doesnt have problem putting on weight, its usually the opposite

just eat a lot. protein shakes are fine they wont hurt you. but i mean other than that just eat a lot. Oh and dont bother with the "mass gainer" or whatever powders. All they are is protein with carbs (sugar) thrown in and its a lot more expensive. Get the plain protein powder and mix in some oats and fruits and stuff.

Every once in a while some knob head brags about eating pizza, ice cream and all kinds of junk for their weight gain phase but I would try to eat clean. That will just make you sluggish for your workouts and there is no need to take in extreme amounts of fats
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher73 View Post

Guarantee that is cheaper and healthier than buying a whole bunch of supplements that you don't know what's really in it. The other thing about those supplements at GNC, etc. is that the bodybuilders don't actually use them. Bodybuilders get their size through chemical enhancement that is not bought over the counter at the mall.

They use them and if they get to a high enough level they get sponsorships so they get them for free. Thing is all that stuff gets very expensive and a lot of it is debatable if it helps much at all or if product X will help enough that its work 40 dollars a month for. Of course bodybuilders are using all kinds of illegal chemicals but they use the legal supplements too.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #37
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Clever post there scrap.

Ever tried tribulus though? Also affective on the reproductive organs.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #38
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Anyone know any good supplements you can recommend to me. I have a really fast metabolism and wondered best way to do it and how i should go about it etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
The key is protein protein protein timing timing timing. In other words, the content and timing of your meals is paramount. Make sure to eat a couple of hours right before a workout and immediately after workouts/training sessions. There are plenty of energy bars packed with protein that will aid in muscle recovery and assist in the muscle building/weight gaining process.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #39
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
So we saying something around 5 meals a day. Lots of dairy products? and meat?

Im currently on about 4meals a day and eat meat in at least 2 of the meals and im drinkin a pint of milk a day.
try boiled eggs. have them as snacks all the time.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #40
MrPook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 335

First of all how old are you dude. I know that when I was 17 years old a did eat like a animal and hardly gained weight at all. Like three hot plates for dinner, a bag of doritos before I went to sleep, at leatst a quart of milk a day, orange juice, sandwiches, And that is just what I did eat after I came home from school.

Nowadays I am 26 years old and I don't even eat 1/3 of what I did eat then and no matter how hard I train I always carey a good amount of bodyfat with me (and I don't even drink).

So really if you are a young guy trust me the weight will come.

Then again if you wan't to gain weight steak, protein shakes, creatine, and carbs like rice and stuff on top of A LOT OF HEALTY FOOD will do. Like salad, eggs, chicken, rice, potatoes, banana's, yoguart, milk.

Protein shakes, and creatine work if you use on top of a lot of healty food. They are not healty but then again working out really hard and getting punched in the face are not healty anaways.

Last edited by MrPook; 02-20-2010 at 10:04 PM.
MrPook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing