Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
lurcher
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default thomas hearns book

walked into waterstones saturday and came across this book (HIT MAN by brian & damian hughes from milo books) and nailed it.
about time a book was done on one of my all time faves and its got the classic shot of him and his jerry curl bouncing a right hand off hagler on the cover.
cracking read so far, up to pre pipino cuevas so cant wait for all his many tear-ups and highs and lows.
get it.
lurcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
noonan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: thomas hearns book

I had a look at this the other week but went with ' Becominh Holyfield' another awesome read,

Will pick up the hearns one soon !!
noonan is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonan View Post
I had a look at this the other week but went with ' Becominh Holyfield' another awesome read,

Will pick up the hearns one soon !!
That Holyfield book is awful, he hardly goes into the fights and its all about his life with his mom, his love for god and that kind of stuff .. Im a huge Holyfield fan but it was a waste of time .... I've just bought a boxing book that is called 'The Big If', its about Welsh Legend Johnny Owen and his fatal fight with Lupe Pintor, its got great reviews and im gonna start it shortly .... I read 'Facing Ali' a few weeks ago and that was interesting, its about Ali's opposition, its pretty funny that everyone is in awe of Ali apart from Frazier and Holmes who mouth off and give him loads of shit ..
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

AXL - 'The Big If' is definitely one of the better (boxing) books i've read

One day when I next go over to the states i'm going to get on a bus to downtown LA and go to the Olympic Auditoriom. So much history in that building. I know that it's a catholic church nowadays however I cannot see there being a problem with me having a little walk around.
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Gaz S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose View Post
That Holyfield book is awful, he hardly goes into the fights and its all about his life with his mom, his love for god and that kind of stuff .. Im a huge Holyfield fan but it was a waste of time .... I've just bought a boxing book that is called 'The Big If', its about Welsh Legend Johnny Owen and his fatal fight with Lupe Pintor, its got great reviews and im gonna start it shortly .... I read 'Facing Ali' a few weeks ago and that was interesting, its about Ali's opposition, its pretty funny that everyone is in awe of Ali apart from Frazier and Holmes who mouth off and give him loads of shit ..

A far better book about Holyfield is "THe Holyfield Way" by Jim Thomas, his former lawyer/business manager. Very insightful on the ins and outs of behind the scenes politics.
Gaz S is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz S View Post
A far better book about Holyfield is "THe Holyfield Way" by Jim Thomas, his former lawyer/business manager. Very insightful on the ins and outs of behind the scenes politics.
Cheers bud, i'll check that out ..
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
AXL - 'The Big If' is definitely one of the better (boxing) books i've read

One day when I next go over to the states i'm going to get on a bus to downtown LA and go to the Olympic Auditoriom. So much history in that building. I know that it's a catholic church nowadays however I cannot see there being a problem with me having a little walk around.

Yep, "The Big If" is a superb book. I remember the BBC news each night giving an update on Owens condition. Very sad.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
servo
England.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Yeah i also have to say, 'The Big If,' is a must read. Remember when i was just getting into boxing and my Dad lent it to me.

Saw that Hearns book in Waterstones aswell and wondered whether or not to get it. Let me know how the rest of it is!
servo is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
noonan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I enjoyed becoming Holyfield, although was disappointed about the lack of information on the lewis fights, but overall i enjoyed it
noonan is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

i just finished the hearns book and it was a good read i have also recently finished a book called when boxing was a jewish sport, i may start a book on barney ross tonight
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

As a Nigel Benn fan I can advise to steer clear of his autobiography. Not a particularly great read.

Hands of Stone and Facing Tyson (I'm guessing it's the same format as "facing ali" but not read the latter) are good.
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum