Old 02-17-2010, 03:40 AM   #16
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Southpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus View Post
Ok, but can you throw your straight left with the same power as your straight right? I know for me, I'm almost more comfortable in a southpaw stance, but I lose a lot of power in my back hand. I'd think is common for righties who convert over.
I've knocked someone over in sparring with my straight left, because I concentrate that much more on perfect delivery i'd say its actually harder then my right cross.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #17
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I have never faught or done any serious training in boxing. Did a little bit of comp karate in which I used to switch all the time with little problem.

Recently I've been doing some bag work for fitness purposes. I've found that I'm a right-handed southpaw. Gives me decent lead hand power and my straight left is ok (for a novice I guess).

But if I change to an authodox stance my left is weak and my right is very awkward!
Will is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #18
P4P
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post

When southpaws were rare there was a total lack of familiarity with the fighting style because there were no decent fighters to spare with who were lefties. Orthodox fighters, as a result, had serious trouble adequately preparing for the new angles/positions presented by southpaws and were at the mercy of that dreaded straight/lead left/right hook combo.

Now with there being more lefties out there to spar with, the aura of mystery surrounding southpaws has disappeared and , thus, fewer people are converting to gain an advantage that no longer is as pronounced as it once was.
Thanks makes sense
P4P is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #19
ripper13
Contender
ESB Senior Member

im a right handed southpaw, my jabs are pretty ok but my straight left feels weak, when i go orthodox my straight rights have good power but my jabs and left hook feels awkward.
ripper13 is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper13 View Post
im a right handed southpaw, my jabs are pretty ok but my straight left feels weak, when i go orthodox my straight rights have good power but my jabs and left hook feels awkward.
Sounds like a pretty common problem. If your hook feels awkward from the orthodox stance, try to tighten it up and spring from the legs.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
P4P
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Sounds like a pretty common problem. If your hook feels awkward from the orthodox stance, try to tighten it up and spring from the legs.
yeah I agree I see a lot of people say there more powerful hand feels better in front which is probably what your used to is it better idk
P4P is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
ripper13
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yeah, i should probably train orthodox from now on, concentrate on form with my hooks and jabs. At first i thought it was kinda cool when i switch from time to time but i tend to get confused and out-balanced as the round progresses
ripper13 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
P4P
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper13 View Post
yeah, i should probably train orthodox from now on, concentrate on form with my hooks and jabs. At first i thought it was kinda cool when i switch from time to time but i tend to get confused and out-balanced as the round progresses
I always trained orthodox in the gym but in reality tried to be ambidextrous writing with both hands and stuff I think my left hand got up to average but am still under the impression my right hands better
P4P is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
MrPook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 335

What I find interesting is that there are many European southpaw champions. But then again there are not so many southpaw worldchapions. I think it has to do with the fact that soutpaws have an advantage that will help them out for a long time. But once they are at the level where they have to fight elite fighters, those dudes just don't give a ****, so only the real badass southpaws become worldchapion wich they probably would have even if they had been orthodox boxers.
MrPook is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
stormy
Live and Learn
ESB Addict

I have been pondering about this subject. A fellow boxing trainer i know says if they are left handed he teaches them to fight conventional,and if they are right handed he teaches them to fight as a southpaw.

Hear is a question i have for all ......do you kick a ball with the same side that you write with? in other words,if you are left handed do you kick with the left leg?

I understand that some tend to think you should have your "strong" arm leading,but what about the bottom half? what if you are right handed and left footed, or vice-verse??
stormy is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
MrPook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
I have been pondering about this subject. A fellow boxing trainer i know says if they are left handed he teaches them to fight conventional,and if they are right handed he teaches them to fight as a southpaw.

Hear is a question i have for all ......do you kick a ball with the same side that you write with? in other words,if you are left handed do you kick with the left leg?

I understand that some tend to think you should have your "strong" arm leading,but what about the bottom half? what if you are right handed and left footed, or vice-verse??
Your strong hand should be at the back. That way you can create mere leverage in that hand to deliver those devestating blows. It's 1 + 1 = 2. Simple as that. The forehand is just to keep your opponent off/set him up.

It is the same way when kicking a ball with soccer. If your right leg is your strong leg. You put your left foot on the side of the ball. So now you are standing with your left foot forward and your right foot backward just lik a orthodox boxer. Therefore you can create more leverage when kicking the ball.
MrPook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing