Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default How much muscle soreness is normal the next day or 2 after running?

I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes and 53 seconds for a fitness test. Its in about 3 weeks.

I cant do it yet but I am getting close, I did 1 mile at the proper pace then after a cool down and stretching and a few minutes rest did the last half mile at slightly above target pace.

Problem is my legs are real sore the next day or two and I cant run at that level for a few days. Its mostly on the inside facing portion of my lower leg, the muscle in the shin, not the calf. It feels like muscle soreness and not shin splints which take longer to develop and are more in the front.

Keep in mind this is all out running to me and I can barely do it, my heart rate is like 175-180 right when I finish.

Is it normal for my legs to be that sore or do you think I am not stretching enough? I try to stretch before and everything has to be just right with my shoes and all or I'll get leg pain. Anybody have any advice?

I want to be able to get in as much practice as possible without hurting myself. Its just in the shin area not in the upper leg or anywhere else.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
setoraku

vCash: 1325
Default Re: How much muscle soreness is normal the next day or 2 after running?

just started the training or have you been doing alot of running?
setoraku is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
elTerrible
East Side Guru

Within the last few weeks I have really picked it up. I used to jog at a slower pace but this running is at a very high pace for me and Ive just started it the last few weeks doing it more regularly.

Im taking a fitness test for my navy application and the deadline was sooner than I expected so I am pushing myself.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
elTerrible
East Side Guru

Oh and are there any ways I can do cardio without using my legs while they are sore to build up endurance?

I have a punching bag but the straps broke just last week. What would you guys recommend that I try to keep my heart rate up at near 170 for 12 minutes straight to mimic the running? Is that a good idea?

I dont think my gym has a rowing machine, I will have to look.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
setoraku

vCash: 1325

I am not really an expert on the subject but from what i understand you recently increased your pace dramatically? well normally you try and do the 1.5 miles then increase the pace everytime but seeing you are short in time why not try swimming? you will get the cardio and strenghten your lungs at the same time, also its not as taxing on the joints like running top speed... Hope you do good your navy test
setoraku is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Yeah it's normal when you up the pace significantly or when you just start running. When i take a long break (like I am now) and then come back, I stay sore for a few days, but after a while it goes away and I can run every day.

But last summer I was running consistently, max effort 3 miles in 21:30. 5 weeks later I did a max effort 3 mile run at 18:27, and jesus my calves felt like they were constantly in a cramped state for a full 4 days afterward. So it's normal.

Swimming will be good on non-running days, especially if you suck at it (you use a lot more effort if you're a bad swimmer). Walking is also great for soreness and light cardio. Going for a medium-fast walk while you're sore will help the soreness go away, and it has the added benefit of making you a better runner. Hitting the bags is also good.

But yeah, in 3 weeks you can get there no problem. Do 2-3 fast runs per week, then recovery runs the day after, and walking or swimming on off days.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

hop on an exercise machine like an elliptical or a bike they're one way to get cardio in when your lower legs are sore. You could shadowbox at a fast pace too but that does involve your lower legs in a way that is uncomfortable when your sore. You could check out rosstraining.com and read the free workouts in the article section but they will definately make you sore, some will just make you sore in the upper body so youd still be able to run the next day if you wished.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
BoxinGKinG1993
Journeyman

vCash: 2518

the time you have to run the 1.5 miles is plenty

at the moment how long does it take you to run 1.5 miles?
BoxinGKinG1993 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
elTerrible
East Side Guru

Its not plenty for me

Im not sure of my current time for 1.5 miles as Ive been doing treadmill for my target pace but I know I need to move to a track and start aiming for my lap times.

The only track ive know of was closed down so I will have to use the park and measure it on my bike I guess.

Oh and thanks for all of the suggestions. I did the elliptical today for 18 minutes with quick breaks at each 6 minutes to stretch my quads that were killing me. My heart rate was still way up there the whole time so that is good and it didnt bother my shins at all. I am aiming for Wed to do another all out run.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Mohak
RIP Smokin' Joe
ESB Senior Member

It could be a whole host of things really. Poor running techique, running on too hard a surface, shoe issues, not warming or streching correctly, etc. I had leg/shin issues when I tired out for Army selection a lifetime ago. For me it was poor running techinque where I had a habbit of kind of twisting my leg before it hit the ground and bad trainers not really designed for running. I was pretty sore for a few days afterwards, only ran 2-3 times a week back then. I can't say what's wrong with you but I can say that to save you shin and joints some damage avoid really hard running surfaces like concrete if you can and if your legs are still sore then what about low impact like swimming instead? Also, if you can join a near-by running club to ace your run times. It worked miracles for me to cut my run times. 3 Weeks is cutting it pretty fine, but some track work with a running club doing sprints, 200m x20, 1k x 3 and other stuff will help alot. Best of luck. Hope things work out.
Mohak is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
Mr. V.I.P.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Do you box? If you do you should be able to piss that. Sounds very easy. But, if not do not run on a treadmill you will be able to go faster outside and will be a lot more suited to the navy that a warm gym. Get some sprints done and work hard and it will come. Try running further like 4 miles and getting that time down and try it once a week to try and break your time for 1.5miles. Good luck. Yvan Eth Nioj!!!
Mr. V.I.P. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing