Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #166
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: From Unbeaten Beasts to Broken Men. Fighters Who Really were never the same again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Not so much now but he still go's the ex boxers do's. He'll watch a big fight if he's with us.
He always was a boxing buff in his younger days and I think he'd be quite comforable talking on here talking about the old fighters up to about the 70's.
Robinson, Pep Manuel Ortiz, Ross, Canzoneri, Berg etc are the fighters he looked up to and he knows all about the fighters from his own time when he was a real student of the game.
I remember him telling me once that he'd had a nightmare in which he'd made a comeback and he was fighting Lupe Pintor. Don't know wether the Johnny Owen fight was playing on his mind.
I think he would of been more comfortable against Zarate than he was against Olivares, he took a good shot and after the first few rounds would have had more chance of getting into his stride. Styles make fights!
Definitly, he also has that good defensive but aggresive style that could cause Zarate problems.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #167
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: From Unbeaten Beasts to Broken Men. Fighters Who Really were never the same again

Such a sad story about Johnny Owen...my first memory as a kid of a tragedy in the ring.
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #168
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Not so much now but he still go's the ex boxers do's. He'll watch a big fight if he's with us.
He always was a boxing buff in his younger days and I think he'd be quite comforable talking on here talking about the old fighters up to about the 70's.
Robinson, Pep Manuel Ortiz, Ross, Canzoneri, Berg etc are the fighters he looked up to and he knows all about the fighters from his own time when he was a real student of the game.
I remember him telling me once that he'd had a nightmare in which he'd made a comeback and he was fighting Lupe Pintor. Don't know wether the Johnny Owen fight was playing on his mind.
I think he would of been more comfortable against Zarate than he was against Olivares, he took a good shot and after the first few rounds would have had more chance of getting into his stride. Styles make fights!
Quality post.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum