Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Gavin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Talk to me about Angles??

Really lost on this subject, all I basically know is that rather than standing directly in front of your opponent you stand at an angle which allows you hit them more easily while at the same making it difficult for them to hit you. But what is your exact position with these angles and how do you get into them? Do you step in with a jab or combination then move to the left or right rather then backwards? What punches work best etc??

Does keeping your left foot on the outside of a Southpaws right count as using Angles?
Gavin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202
Default Re: Talk to me about Angles??

All punches are thrown at an angle. Using angles means throwing punches from angles that make them difficult to see or defend against.

Think of it this way: Picture your opponent in his normal guard with you in front of him in yours. Pretty solid defense, hard to get any punches through. Now step o one side along a circle and look again. Much easier to hit him now.

But naturally, if you move, he moves. So the hard part is getting into that position long enough to actually get punches off without him moving with you. You can use punches to blind him as you move, or you can move as he punches and then counter him. There's lots of ways to do it, but the main point is getting to a spot where you can hit him unexpectedly.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Gavin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Ah I see now, when I was shadowboxing before, I was just stepping side to side in a straight line, and when I threw straight punches I had to reach across to hit my imaginary target, never thought about moving clockwise/anti-clockwise. Think the side-to-side movement would work best if I'm trying to counter him as you said. Thanks man.

Is it really just straight punches that benefit from angles though? I remember Bernard Hopkins saying in the Ring you should step to the left when throwing a right Uppercut to give it a clear path up the middle but I can't see how they'd work with Hooks? Apart from the fact you're more open to counters.
Gavin is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

With the hooks, if you stand straight in front, then your hooks are slamming into the liver area and can be blocked by the elbow.

Now, if you step to the right and get into a hook position, then adjust your front foot so that it is directly in front of your opponent (where you were just standing), then your hook comes in at a different angle, right between his gloves. Or, if you want to turn under to the body, it'll go right between the elbows.

This is a great move on the inside and can be assisted by nudging the opponent's left elbow, to the left, with your right hand behind his elbow, to keep him from pivoting to face you. Use the nudge to also set yourself up into the hook position and let the hook go immediately.
boxbible is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing