Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #61
lurcher
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 'Froch's promoter says pay-per-view TV is only option'

carl froch has evrything to be a popular mainstream fighter, he is homespun, athletic, exciting, relentless, power in each hand and an attitude and character to go out on the publicity trail and sell tickets. but i have even spoken to lads from nottingham who don't know who he is, and i don't wanna jump on the hennessey/shit bandwagon cos this time last year i was watching some cracking saturday night shows featuring Murray, Thaxton and Fury on free telly.
so without sounding condescending about mick, the fat little bugger, that level of fighter is about his limit and he has'nt got the panache, contacts or the slightest foggiest about promoting a fighter at the top level(the froch/dirrell show was shambolic when you consider the main support was shown on big screen)
it just winds me up cos frochy should be as well known to the casuals as Hatton/Khan etc.
lurcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #62
portside
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

after the fantastic performance he put up with pascal he most definatly deserves to be on mainstream telly, i beleive that hennessy will have bent over backwards to get this for him, but itv wont pay for any kind of fight at the moment nor the bbc. im sure if mick hennessy could get it carl froch would have it.
portside is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #63
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Mick Hennesey , i cant take that man seriously , this is a man who put on a WBC LWW World Title fight with Jr Witter and Vivian Harris in the ****in Doncaster Dome !!!!!!!!!!!!! , the man doesnt look the part , he doesnt talk the part and his shows stink !!!!!!

This seems to rub off on his fighters i mean i ****in detest Carl Froch , and i want Kessler to knock him out i really do and i beleive he will , so on that note i will be buying this shite
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #64
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
carl froch has evrything to be a popular mainstream fighter, he is homespun, athletic, exciting, relentless, power in each hand and an attitude and character to go out on the publicity trail and sell tickets. but i have even spoken to lads from nottingham who don't know who he is, and i don't wanna jump on the hennessey/shit bandwagon cos this time last year i was watching some cracking saturday night shows featuring Murray, Thaxton and Fury on free telly.
so without sounding condescending about mick, the fat little bugger, that level of fighter is about his limit and he has'nt got the panache, contacts or the slightest foggiest about promoting a fighter at the top level(the froch/dirrell show was shambolic when you consider the main support was shown on big screen)
it just winds me up cos frochy should be as well known to the casuals as Hatton/Khan etc.

This is exactly the type of shite that im talking about !!!!!!!!!!!!

What an unbeleivably bad post , Carl Froch has to be the most dislikeable fighter on British soil , at world level , i mean the guy's style is terrible , his hands are round his waste , he throws wide winging punches and jabs from his hip , he even looks awkward when he's stood still , mate Bob Arum would have Froch as an undercard fighter for his whole career he has absolutley NO PUBLIC APPEAL what so ever and the main stream just know him as :

" oh yeah Carl Froch that wanker who is shit and calls Joe Calzaghe names "

He's a joke , Fat Mick is a joke and i cant wait for Kessler to ****in blitz him ,
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #65
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
This is exactly the type of shite that im talking about !!!!!!!!!!!!

What an unbeleivably bad post , Carl Froch has to be the most dislikeable fighter on British soil , at world level , i mean the guy's style is terrible , his hands are round his waste , he throws wide winging punches and jabs from his hip , he even looks awkward when he's stood still , mate Bob Arum would have Froch as an undercard fighter for his whole career he has absolutley NO PUBLIC APPEAL what so ever and the main stream just know him as :

" oh yeah Carl Froch that wanker who is shit and calls Joe Calzaghe names "

He's a joke , Fat Mick is a joke and i cant wait for Kessler to ****in blitz him ,
No public appeal?

He will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime!

He has a high KO ratio 20 from 26.

He fights as a proud Englishman.

He always gives 100%

Yes mate you are right! Carl Froch is everything that is wrong with Boxing!!!

Just for the record I'm being sarcastic. And also I am as big a JC fan as you will find!

Have not got the slightest clue where you are coming from!!!
Will is online now  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #66
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
No public appeal?

He will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime!

He has a high KO ratio 20 from 26.

He fights as a proud Englishman.

He always gives 100%

Yes mate you are right! Carl Froch is everything that is wrong with Boxing!!!

Just for the record I'm being sarcastic. And also I am as big a JC fan as you will find!

Have not got the slightest clue where you are coming from!!!
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #67
Papa_Bear
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blackout View Post
The only thing i can think of is that Hennessey maybe thought Froch would lose against Taylor, so he took the best offer available, at the time, if the worst happened?
But he didn't actually take the best offer at all did he? Presumably due to a combination of stubbornness and delusion he chose to reject all of the tv offers on the table, bemoan the "wild devaluation" of his fighter by the networks (100k was the best offer apparently, which tbf is less than Froch is worth, but it's still better than bloody nothing!) and in an act of daft rebellion set up a poxy internet stream through which he and Froch earned a net profit of about 50 quid.

Hennessey must have particularly bad relations with sky if it's as difficult for him to get his fighters on there as it appears to be.

His handling of Froch's media affairs since the Pascal fight has to be the biggest promotional **** up in recent memory. Having control of all of the British distribution rights for the super 6 would be a wet dream for any promoter....but what does he do with this gift? **** ALL!

What a missed opportunity. I know a lot of casuals who would have been really interested in this thing but they're barely even aware of its existence. They vaguely know of Froch but I'm not sure that they could even place the name to the face. It's a real shame. There was something to build on after the Pascal fight but contrary to all logic, Froch's celebrity status and marketability remains stagnant. Froch has lost out on a lot of money due to Fat Mick's mishandling of his affairs....and he will miss out on more. Talk about dropping the ball...
Papa_Bear is online now  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #68
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-15-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #69
AndrewFFC
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
i think you guys need to get used to primetime and ppv. its the way its been in the US for years, were just 20 years behind.

if you wanna be a boxing fan, ppv is hows it going to be. the sport justt doesnt work on terrestrial tv and doesnt have enough casual fans for subscription.

with primetime at least you have a choise, if you wanna watch the fight, pay 10, if you dont dont pay. better than nothing.

Thank **** for fat mick modernising UK boxing.
AndrewFFC is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #70
Laikaka
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster101 View Post
"For marquee fights right now, it seems pay-per-view is the only route," Mick Hennessy told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"Everyone's going be disappointed that boxing's not on terrestrial television, because it's free to air and goes out to the masses.

"It's just right in this day and age, because it's hard for terrestrial TV to find the money that's necessary to make a fight like this."
Not sure what constitutes a marquee fight these days. Not so long ago (1984) there were 2 world champions from 160 -175lbs. Now there are currently, 11? Sure times change but clearly not in terms of quality. Much of the marketing of this fight relies on a pseudo 'world' title belt to draw fans in. Strip away that alphabet trinket and the gimmicky facade and packaging of the tournament and its foreign concept to boxing (of some of the better fighters in a division actually facing one another) and I wonder how it'd fare as a PPV event - given both boxers' last outings. Perhaps those at terrestrial tv have now cottoned on to that?

A serious question about Hennessy's last sentence above. This "money that's necessary", that would be a reference to what specifically? The whole promotion? The purses?
Laikaka is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #71
majypoo
Journeyman

I feel for John Murray as I do for Froch, im going to the fight in Denmark when I tell people, I always get who is Froch? is he that Irishman . Hennesey should be shot, hung and quatered for that show he put on for the Dirrel fight. I have never seen anything like it, the fight didn't start till 3am and the last undercard fight finished around 1am. They even struggled to sell that fight, Froch was gaining popularity when he was on Sky fast, they should of never left Sky to go to the half arsed ITV approach. It's a shame that Murray's career is basically being ruined by Mick, I mean seriously no European fight yet?
majypoo is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #72
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-15-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum