Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #31
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347
Default Re: Is weight training damaging to a still developing body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-pod View Post
Its around average. Believe it or not most people are not 6 ft. 9 with 12 inch dicks contrary to what ESB averages out to.
Average!?! **** I'm only 5`6
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #32
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
you still have not posted any kind of research or studies, you're just stating your opinion.
Its not just opinion its fact, its right in my books. Evidently I would have to post textbooks for you to believe me. You could try googling effects of epiphyseal plate damage, histology of bone, growth & formation of bones (endochondral ossification specifically), hyaline cartilage, functions of osteogenic cells osteoblasts osteocytes and osteoclasts, that would give you a pretty clear picture but we both know you wont so believe what you like but if your ever curious enough all you need to know is right there.
PugilistStudent is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #33
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
FROM YOUR ARTICLE:
Epiphyseal plate (growth plate) fractures may be the key concern in this controversy. Damage to these plates induced by weight training is frequently cited as a reason for avoiding weight training in children. The existing medical and scientific data do not support this as a valid contraindication. One instance of epiphyseal fracture attributed to weightlifting has been reported in preadolescents (Gumbs, 1982). In pubescent athletes, five publications have reported instances of fractures related to weight training (Benton, 1983; Brady, 1982; Gumbs, 1982; Rowe, 1979; Ryan, 1976). The overwhelming majority of these injuries were attributed to improper technique in the execution of the exercises and excessive loading.

Those are all really old references, our understanding of the human body has skyrocketted the last 10-15 years but still it backs up my original post when I said keeping the reps above 10 would be safe. Keeping the weight light enough to do 10+ reps is definitely not "excessive loading" and its much easier to maintain proper form, hed still get stronger even if he did everything with 30 reps for crying out loud. So thank you for giving me backup.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #34
pare
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

i've always wondered about this topic. i only have a piece of anecdotal evidence to contribute and that is my good friend. he's about 5'7" even though his mom is about 5'10 and his dad and bro are both well over 6'. the only reason i can think of for this is that he started hardcore powerlifting when he was 14.
pare is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #35
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistStudent View Post
Its not just opinion its fact, its right in my books. Evidently I would have to post textbooks for you to believe me. You could try googling effects of epiphyseal plate damage, histology of bone, growth & formation of bones (endochondral ossification specifically), hyaline cartilage, functions of osteogenic cells osteoblasts osteocytes and osteoclasts, that would give you a pretty clear picture but we both know you wont so believe what you like but if your ever curious enough all you need to know is right there.
another load of bollocks.

you obviously know more than fred hatfield, Lon Kilgore, louie simmons and Chad Waterbury
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #36
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Real_Deal View Post
Say about 14-15 years old.
YES. One should not fully weight train until their later teen age years.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #37
PugilistStudent
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
another load of bollocks.

you obviously know more than fred hatfield, Lon Kilgore, louie simmons and Chad Waterbury
ugh...whatever, stay in your little world then.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing