boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #76
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841
Default Re: "Pitched battle" at York Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
This is how I understand it. "Gypsy" was originally used to refer to the Romani people, who are descended from Northern India. These days you got mother****ers who can't differentiate between Romani and other travellers including Irish. So they see some Irish travellers and start calling them gypsies too. The **** have Irish travellers got to do with Romani people? Is there some kind of connection? I genuinely don't know man, Icemax, help me out. So anyway, because people just start using that term "gypsy", it now refers to any travellers and not just the Romani people?

And aren't the Romani people mostly living in Eastern Europe anyway? Not many of them in the UK right?

And what the **** is a pikey man?

Icemax, school is in session, you gotta lay it down for us, here on this thread so these fools know. I mean, at least I did a bit of research on this ****, I'm like the ideal student but I gotta get it verified by someone who knows what the **** they talking about.

I was confused cuz I was like "what the **** Irish travellers gotta do with some dudes who originated in Northern India and are now mostly living in Eastern Europe, apart from maybe they both like travelling?"

Gypsy is just the term used to call any traveller. Not always used as a derogatory.

Dont go all gay on the thread.

'Pikey' is a very offensive term. Not as bad as ****ney though.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #77
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
This is how I understand it. "Gypsy" was originally used to refer to the Romani people, who are descended from Northern India. These days you got mother****ers who can't differentiate between Romani and other travellers including Irish. So they see some Irish travellers and start calling them gypsies too. The **** have Irish travellers got to do with Romani people? Is there some kind of connection? I genuinely don't know man, Icemax, help me out. So anyway, because people just start using that term "gypsy", it now refers to any travellers and not just the Romani people?

And aren't the Romani people mostly living in Eastern Europe anyway? Not many of them in the UK right?

And what the **** is a pikey man?

Icemax, school is in session, you gotta lay it down for us, here on this thread so these fools know. I mean, at least I did a bit of research on this ****, I'm like the ideal student but I gotta get it verified by someone who knows what the **** they talking about.

I was confused cuz I was like "what the **** Irish travellers gotta do with some dudes who originated in Northern India and are now mostly living in Eastern Europe, apart from maybe they both like travelling?"
You don't need any help, you just about got it spot on.

As Maz pointed out a Pikey is a very offensive word sort of the gypsy equivalent of calling a black guy the n word. In Romany law a pikey is someone who has committed a heinous offence against the group (****, murder, robbing from his own) and has been cast out of the family group...unfortunately some Roma (my dad included ) call Irish Travelers Pikeys which isn't helpful.

There are not many Roma on the roads in Britain any more, the vast majority live in fixed locations...and the ones that are mobile can be differentiated from other travelers by the conditions in which they live, a real Romany would not live in the same ****ty set up that some of the Irish Travelers do.

Maz, sorry to hear about your banning
icemax is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #78
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post

As Maz pointed out a Pikey is a very offensive word sort of the gypsy equivalent of calling a black guy the n word. In Romany law a pikey is someone who has committed a heinous offence against the group (****, murder, robbing from his own) and has been cast out of the family group...unfortunately some Roma (my dad included ) call Irish Travelers Pikeys which isn't helpful.

There are not many Roma on the roads in Britain any more, the vast majority live in fixed locations...and the ones that are mobile can be differentiated from other travelers by the conditions in which they live, a real Romany would not live in the same ****ty set up that some of the Irish Travelers do.

Ahh I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #79
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Basically, a pikey is a pikey
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #80
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
Rightly so as well Saturday Kid. I wouldn't want my pub being over run by Pikey ****s
I never thought that it was possible to meet a bigger wind-up merchant than me, and then your ginger crust honed into view
icemax is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #81
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

What ??
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #82
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:

A Yorkshire, Romany, squaddie!!! Not many more boxes left to tick!!

Arnt the Irish travellers on the road because of the British??

See ye caused that as well!!!
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #83
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

And now another 'Mr Argumentative' comes aboard the thread
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #84
themacallan
Chin Chin
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

So.

Romani = gypos
Irish Travelers who have been naughty boys = Pikeys.
themacallan is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #85
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

Quote:
I never thought that it was possible to meet a bigger wind-up merchant than me, and then your ginger crust honed into view
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop View Post
A Yorkshire, Romany, squaddie!!! Not many more boxes left to tick!!

Arnt the Irish travellers on the road because of the British??

See ye caused that as well!!!
Sorry Dan, my mistake
icemax is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #86
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Quote:

The ban did not bother me too much. Just did not like feeling like I had offended people on this subject....my comments were pretty ****ish though.
Mazallan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum