Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default making weight for a fight

I am 6'2, 160 pounds normally fighting at a 152 pound weight class. I have a fight next Friday but I am having some trouble making the weight. Before when I would fight, my natural weight was 154 so I never had any problems but since then along with growing, I have become much leaner (down to 7% body fat) and I have been feeling weak since I started to make this weight. Could any of you give me some advice about how I could cut this weight while maintaining good performance?
jordaw is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
andriy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 100
Default Re: making weight for a fight

sounds like you're going to have to get used to fighting at higher weight. 6'2 & 152pounds!!!!! wow!
how old are you?
andriy is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm eighteen. Yeah I signed up for the NJ golden gloves at this weight and I don't think I'm gonna fight at that weight again.
jordaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You're in the same situation as me. A year ago I walked around at like 156. I was really lean but I still made 152 fairly easily. I've put on some muscle and now I'm around 160 and I'm struggling to try to make it now. I can only get down to like 157 and then I just start feeling too weak. I had to fight at 165 my last two tournaments becasue I didn't have enough time to lose the weight. Got one coming up at the end of march and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to fight there again because I'll have no strength left.

The good thing is at 6'2 you have plenty of height for 165lbs even if you are a few pounds light. I'm only 5'10 and 160 so I'm basically just too small for the weightclass but too big for the one below.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
jordaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

yeah well what originally happened was I had a fight this friday, and I got down to the weight and I was maintaining it. I just got a call today though and the guy i was gonna fight dropped out so I have until next friday. I figured I would gain back the weight and train to get in better shape this week and then start cutting for next friday around this thursday. the only problem is that I know that I am gonna feel just as week when my next fight is coming around and I just don't know if I am cutting the weight wrong or what. After this tournament I'm probably gonna try and build some muscle to go up a weight class. Does anybody have any good links for diet plans or strategies for it?
jordaw is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
pobu

vCash: 500

what about diet

Last edited by pobu; 03-07-2010 at 01:04 PM.
pobu is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing