Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 AM   #46
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132
Default Re: Poor Performance by Mundine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTDYE
you make good points mate but most of the stuff you stated about him technique wise you must have already realised? mundine doesnt work the angles.. (reason why i think winky is a bad match up), doesnt throw in combinations.. isnt much of a body puncher (despite what michaels says) doesnt really have a hook. Mundine's fight is the lighning jab, the well timed over hand right and the occasional uppercut. this is his arsenal.. not hating or hugging but that's how he fights and it wasnt much different when he had good performances against soliman and green.

the thing that worried me the most in this fight was his inability to get out of trouble. when nievas was putting the pressure on in the 5th mundine could not get a counter off or get out off the ropes. admittedly not much landed but he didnt throw a punch for about 45 seconds and if it had have been kessler he would have hit the canvas imo.

all in all i dont think he went backwards in this fight. merely did a satisfactory job against a c+ fighter. i dont think you'll be able to tell where he is going until he steps up and fights a real opponent.
This is a Great Post.

Mundine does have holes in his boxing skills.

and one of the biggest holes i believe is he is affraid to let his hands go.
i mean he had nievas hurt in about the 6th or 7th round. and still he was to affraid to let his hands go.
i kept saying to my friends if he uses his uppercut more i bet he will catch Nievas but through the hole fight he only used it a couple times. but everytime he used the uppercut it was effective.

His Jab is World Class but you cant rely on a jab to get you through against guys like Calzaghe and Kessler.
Great post.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 AM   #47
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Yeah, I agree with this even to the point regarding Mundine not being able to get out of trouble. I've been level headed about this fight. It barely says anything about Mundine and were he is at. I admit during those occasions Mundine was under pressure and against the ropes I was thinking what the hell, just get out of there and or counter. I am curious about whether Mundine is deficiant in this area, which he may have admited to in the post fight interview, or whether he is working on something in view of bigger fights.
These nut crunches sweet on something negative and really suck it dry as has been seen here. If they were more intelligent they would have kept in touch with reality (being Mundine kicked this guys arse as expected and looked typically good). They would have focused on Mundines injury, which is a bad sign for a 32 year old, and might be a sign of decline.
EelsRule is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 AM   #48
Scatter
Dont **** with the reaper

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
So let me get this straight. Mundine won by 10 rds look ok but there are some people on here that want to believe his torn bicep is some kind of excuse for what exactly...?
ok first off - i don't think it's just an excuse. i'll dig a pic if i can find one, but post fight, his upper arm was swollen as ****. and i'm willing to bet big money he hurt it during the fourth round...

as for the reason behind it being "used as an excuse"... well... it was a pretty ordinary performance tbh.

there were a couple of positives though: his jab, footwork and defence were all for the most part excellent - even taking into account he was fighting a bloke my granny would have beat up. and... errr... that's it.

the negatives far outweigh the positives. he was fighting a bum. i cannot believe peeps are giving this guy credit for going the distance. he only went the distance because mundine couldn't be arsed to put him away on any one of the ample opportunities he had to do so. nievas was gone in the second round. mundine backed off - solely in order to carry the fight a few rounds more. he was gone for all money again at the end of the fourth. again mundine backed off. this time though, i think it was because of his arm, as mundine came out in the fifth carrying his right a little low, and only really throwing the left jab - and that was only after nievas had finally landed a shot or two. mundine really approached the fifth round as an chance to get an extra three minutes rest. when nievas didn't play along with that, mundine had to fight back. nievas was out on his feet again in the seventh. he was saved by the bell that time, but really, if mundine had of done a little more, he could - and should - have finished the fight then. he was badly staggered again in one of the later rounds, the tenth i think, and again, same story. choc didn't go in and finish.

you could spin that as a positive for mundine - he carried the fight, hurt his opponent several times, just didn't wanna finish him - but it would be absolute bollocks. iirc, only the damage in the second round was caused by a serious right hand shot. the rest were from short arm punches or left leads. hardly evidence of a granite chin. it was clear after 30 seconds that nievas was so far out of his depth it just wasn't funny.

another negative was mundine's workrate. even allowing for the bicep, the one jab at a time policy is just rampant laziness. his jab is lighhtning quick, and quite heavy. yet his obstinate refusal to use it as a lead-in weapon rather than throwing it as a one off all the time was doing my ****ing head in on wednesday night.

nutsauce it all you like - and barry michaels face was covered in choc jisms by the end o fthe night i reckon. the dickhead even proclaimed it as mundines best ever performance ffs - this was a poor performance despite it being a relatively entertaining fight. the victories over soliman (especially) and green were far superior both technically and certainly meritoriously.

just as the haters should stop mking shit up, so too should the huggers stop creaming over substandard performaces (and opponents) like this. if he was serious about this fight, mundine would have ended in the second when he clearly had the chance to do so. he deserves criticism for carrying the fight a few rounds and that backfiring on him, not praise.
Scatter is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #49
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

Top Post Scatter.

If Mundine wants to be elite.

He needs improving in alot of area's. i just couldnt believe that he didnt throw his uppercut more.
i seen choc throw it about 5 times and everytime Nievas after getting hit by the uppercut wanted to back away.

i believe Choc strained his bicep and it is pretty serious i feel especially for a boxer. its like when a Footy player strains a Hamstring they cant run at all and need 3 weeks off footy.

all i will say Mundine's lucky he did'nt tear it off the bone.

i think Mundine lacks the killer instinct for boxing i mean most fighters if they hurt Nievas would have went to town on him.
and in the fight Mundine rocked him twice i feel and never went in for the kill and he should have.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum