Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Sounds like an EXCUSE to me.

Question: Why do you have that picture as your avatar?
Not really, landing rights/hooks is harder than landing jabs, leading with it and landing harder still, if you are good enough to lead and land, it makes the lesser set up punch, the jab, somewhat redundant. Mayweather dominated with the jab against Marquez, and its fast, sharp accurate, snappy jab. He just doesnt need the ab as much as others

I'm a fan of Benn and that fight, despite its tragic end, the fight was a gift from both fighters to the sport. Thought that pic captured the fight pretty well
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,991
vCash: 210
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

I've said this before but you cant do these kind of mythical matchups. Its better to compare guys of differing eras based on opposition fought (resume) and titles held etc.

There have been too many advancements in nutrition, training and general boxing technique to properly asess who would win a fight like this.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Speculation about how a fighter fights in a particular fight is utter bullshit, you fight how you do on the night and that is what is documented in history, end of ****in story. The favouritism/bias on this board is really pissing me off now, bastard pots are calling the kettle black.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #19
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Not really, landing rights/hooks is harder than landing jabs, leading with it and landing harder still, if you are good enough to lead and land, it makes the lesser set up punch, the jab, somewhat redundant. Mayweather dominated with the jab against Marquez, and its fast, sharp accurate, snappy jab. He just doesnt need the ab as much as others
Muhammad Ali on golf. "I'm the best. I just haven't played yet."

He was kidding. You're not.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Muhammad Ali on golf. "I'm the best. I just haven't played yet."

He was kidding. You're not.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #21
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Muhammad Ali on golf. "I'm the best. I just haven't played yet."

He was kidding. You're not.
Yes because thats the same with FMJ never throwing a jab despite the fac he dominated JMM for 12 with mainly the jab alone But you're a Robertard who doesnt even know when/why his fave fighter left LW FFS
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Yes because thats the same with FMJ never throwing a jab despite the fac he dominated JMM for 12 with mainly the jab alone But you're a Robertard who doesnt even know when/why his fave fighter left LW FFS
Yep, that's me. A Robertard.

Good luck!
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #23
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Mayweather threw 40-60 a round against Hatton
That fight didn't go more than 10 rounds, let alone 15 or even 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
He folded like a stack of cards against the 1 true pressure fighter in Armstrong.
Guess you've never heard of Battling Battalino, Sammy Fuller, or Ray Miller then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
So clearly he handles workrate/intensity worse than Floyd
Only if you somehow think Chavez or Hatton are somehow comparable to Armstrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Floyds jab is faster and mor accurate with more snap.
His jab is clearly not "more accurate," in fact he often falls short with it when he aims for the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
When Floyd concentrates on the jab he dominates with it: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
No, when he concentrates on the jab he allows Marquez to get up his nerve and go at him, and even drive him to the ropes or sneak in some overhand rights on occasion. It's only when he opens up with hooks that he dominates by dropping Marquez and getting his respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Mayweather does everything better than Ross
Not according to you. Your argument has been that he's capable of doing things as well as Ross, but chooses not to actually do them as well as him.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #24
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Not really, landing rights/hooks is harder than landing jabs, leading with it and landing harder still, if you are good enough to lead and land, it makes the lesser set up punch, the jab, somewhat redundant.
So now you're claiming Mayweather deliberately chooses to do something that's "harder" even though he's capable of winning fights an easier way? That undermines your earlier claim that Mayweather looks to make fights as easy and slow-paced as possible.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #25
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Speculation about how a fighter fights in a particular fight is utter bullshit, you fight how you do on the night and that is what is documented in history, end of ****in story.
Exactly.

You could just as well claim Ross is really a hard puncher and can KO guys, but "chooses" to limit himself to jabs and quick flurries instead.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #26
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Floyd competetive but comfortable decision 9-6-1
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #27
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
So now you're claiming Mayweather deliberately chooses to do something that's "harder" even though he's capable of winning fights an easier way? That undermines your earlier claim that Mayweather looks to make fights as easy and slow-paced as possible.
You really don't know boxing Landing lead hooks/rights takes more skill and speed than leading with a jab. Anyone who's boxed a handful of times knows that, the fact you don't shows your not worthy of debate. If you can do it without being hit, it isnt a high risk, Mayweather is cautious but can stll land lead rights/hooks. Few fighters can do this without being hit because they arent as skillfull

I wont bother responding to your other worthless post, you've clearly just displayed that you don't know boxing
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #28
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You really don't know boxing Landing lead hooks/rights takes more skill and speed than leading with a jab. Anyone who's boxed a handful of times knows that, the fact you don't shows your not worthy of debate. If you can do it without being hit, it isnt a high risk, Mayweather is cautious but can stll land lead rights/hooks. Few fighters can do this without being hit because they arent as skillfull

I wont bother responding to your other worthless post, you've clearly just displayed that you don't know boxing
That's such a great argument! I really, really appreciate your debating skills
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #29
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
That's such a great argument! I really, really appreciate your debating skills
I notice you didn't look at 'why he doesn't know boxing', its pretty apparent to anyone thats boxed, but then again you haven't so it probably went over your head.

Not knowing a lead right is harder to land than a jab
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #30
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Id take Mayweather but PowerPuncher you have to be kidding yourself man. Your credentials on just about any subject to do with this sport have been dismal at best for as long as I remember, even if you somehow believe they are not.

"I know just about every contender of the last 30 years but Ive never heard of Bones Adams"
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013