Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default ? about how to land the right hook

What's up ESB,
What is the best method of landing the right hook? Should I step forward with both feet to get within range? Should I bring my back foot over to the right to get a better angle? I've even seen some pros switch over to a southpaw stance to throw the right hook. Now the question I want to know is which is technically the correct way of throwing the RH, and which is your favorite way of throwing the RH? Your input is always appreciated.
Thanks
wordisbond is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248
Default Re: ? about how to land the right hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordisbond View Post
What's up ESB,
What is the best method of landing the right hook? Should I step forward with both feet to get within range? Should I bring my back foot over to the right to get a better angle? I've even seen some pros switch over to a southpaw stance to throw the right hook. Now the question I want to know is which is technically the correct way of throwing the RH, and which is your favorite way of throwing the RH? Your input is always appreciated.
Thanks
Are you southpaw or Rightie? Many people switch over to southpaw because the punch isn't telegraphed from that stance and it's easier(in my opinion) to turn into it...
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

All about the range and angle...
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
Are you southpaw or Rightie? Many people switch over to southpaw because the punch isn't telegraphed from that stance and it's easier(in my opinion) to turn into it...
I'm a rightie. Question- If you only switch to southpaw before throwing the right hook and your opponent picks up on this pattern, isn't that worse than telegraphing your punch?
Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
All about the range and angle...
So would you take a large step with your back foot to the right to create that angle (so that your feet and your opponentes feet somewhat make a letter "T"? Sorry if unclear.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
I'm a rightie. Question- If you only switch to southpaw before throwing the right hook and your opponent picks up on this pattern, isn't that worse than telegraphing your punch?
No, you shouldn't switch to southpaw just to throw a right hook. I mean many fighters switch permanently for the reasons already given.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

I say if you are a righty you should focus on the left hook.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
So would you take a large step with your back foot to the right to create that angle (so that your feet and your opponentes feet somewhat make a letter "T"? Sorry if unclear.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by making the letter "T". One point is that I would rarely, if ever take a large step with my back foot - big steps = big trouble in most cases. A rule of thumb for the right hook is that you shouldn't look to throw it on your way in, nor should you square up to get the punch in - stay in your boxing stance, and if your orthodox, ffs, stay in the orthodox stance. I like to have my guys manouvre their opponent onto the right hook, rather than go looking for it when the punch isn't on and you do that with subtle footwork to set up the range, a well positioned left hand to set up the angle (opponent moves to create the angle), and if the opponent buys it, they are then on the end of the right hook... simple!
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

A hook is good to throw but typically an orthodox boxer will get the best of a straight and a hook by throwing a cross.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by making the letter "T". One point is that I would rarely, if ever take a large step with my back foot - big steps = big trouble in most cases. A rule of thumb for the right hook is that you shouldn't look to throw it on your way in, nor should you square up to get the punch in - stay in your boxing stance, and if your orthodox, ffs, stay in the orthodox stance. I like to have my guys manouvre their opponent onto the right hook, rather than go looking for it when the punch isn't on and you do that with subtle footwork to set up the range, a well positioned left hand to set up the angle (opponent moves to create the angle), and if the opponent buys it, they are then on the end of the right hook... simple!
Thanks, this is great advice and right on the moolah!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1590

OP sounds like you want to throw a lead right hook while lunging in. As someone else said its all range and angle. Step in with a jab then a right hook if your in range.
Or just throw the right hook if the opening is there. If his gloves are infront of his face, right hook around them
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
Domizm

vCash: 500

I've find that it works best when they are in a corner, to jab while stepping outwards to a 45 angle slightly and following with the right hook. Otherwise I find it awkward with range, etc.
Domizm is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #13
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
I say if you are a righty you should focus on the left hook.
I'm very comfortable with my left hook, I just want to have all the tools at my disposal.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing