Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #31
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 887
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

I would root for Ross and I think he can beat Mayweather. He has the skills and ring smarts to do so. Also in his favor is Mayweather's tendency to get off to slow starts. Mayweather on the other hand is bigger and can stay on the outside. I think it will come down to how many of the early rounds Ross can win and rather it is a 12 or 15 round bout. I know normaly it would seem more logical to pick the old school boxer over 15 and the contempary boxer over 12 but I think Mayweather who is a strong finisher would do better over 15 hear while Ross will have more likely have more chance of having a lead over 12 than he would over 15.
Either way it is going to be a close fight 12 or 15 rounds.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #32
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 3930
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Mqayweather never beat someone with the combination of skill and workrate like Mayweather while Ross beat fighters who proved themselves better than Mayweather and you still pick him. Strange pick.
Why? Because it doesn't coincide with yours?

This comes down to style match-up.

Mayweather has a five inch edge in terms of reach, and that alone will limit the effectiveness of Ross' jab at least to some extent while giving PBF a better chance to land the right hand counter over it. Ross was a very very good boxer puncher, but in order to produce his greater workrate, he's sacrificing a bit of defense, and allowing Maywether still more chances to counter with clean shots. Shorter fighters like Canzoneri and McLarnin were able to have success doing so (Canzoneri arguably won both fights with Ross, McLarnin took one of the three), so a fighter who matches them in terms of pure speed would likely be able to do so as well.

Neither Mayweather or Ross was a devastating puncher and even if they were both of them are tough enough to ensure that this fight goes the distance. Ross will likely throw more punches and make good use of the jab, while Mayweather will certainly use and land the jab and counter with the right hand. Therefore, a fight like this comes down to what the judges like more, and when that happens there's often a split of opinion

Close fight in terms of talent, abilty, and I think on the scorecards imo.

And I fail to see what's strange about that.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #33
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You really don't know boxing
Then how come I just schooled your dumb, lying ass in this and countless other threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Anyone who's boxed a handful of times knows that, ...
I have boxed, and been around boxers all my life.

Nice try though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
the fact you don't shows your not worthy of debate.
Oh, so now there's "rules" on who's "worthy of debate"??

Let's see these rules then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
If you can do it without being hit, it isnt a high risk, Mayweather is cautious but can stll land lead rights/hooks.
And there you go: first you talk about how much "harder" it is, but then you turn around and claim there's no trouble/risk associated with a fighter doing it.

You're just throwing shit at the walls and seeing what sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I wont bother responding to your other worthless post,
Which makes you a worthless *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
you've clearly just displayed that you don't know boxing
No, I haven't. You're just making shit up (as usual) to avoid addressing a post that clearly schools your ass.

Last edited by My2Sense; 03-08-2010 at 03:16 AM.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #34
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Why? Because it doesn't coincide with yours?
Yeah, it was a bit harsh. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
This comes down to style match-up.

Mayweather has a five inch edge in terms of reach, and that alone will limit the effectiveness of Ross' jab at least to some extent while giving PBF a better chance to land the right hand counter over it. Ross was a very very good boxer puncher, but in order to produce his greater workrate, he's sacrificing a bit of defense, and allowing Maywether still more chances to counter with clean shots. Shorter fighters like Canzoneri and McLarnin were able to have success doing so (Canzoneri arguably won both fights with Ross, McLarnin took one of the three), so a fighter who matches them in terms of pure speed would likely be able to do so as well.

Neither Mayweather or Ross was a devastating puncher and even if they were both of them are tough enough to ensure that this fight goes the distance. Ross will likely throw more punches and make good use of the jab, while Mayweather will certainly use and land the jab and counter with the right hand. Therefore, a fight like this comes down to what the judges like more, and when that happens there's often a split of opinion

Close fight in terms of talent, abilty, and I think on the scorecards imo.

And I fail to see what's strange about that.
You make some good points, although I don't agree with them. Neither McLarnin nor Canzoneri fought similar to Mayweather and they are both better than PBF in my opinion. In fact I think they both proved to be a class above him - yeah, I know strong claim but my opinion. The thing is Mayweather was so cautious and defensive at welter that I can't picture him beating any of the atgs there - and Ross is one, no doubt - and especially not one who matches and even surpasses him in terms of skill. Add to that his higher workrate and faster pace and I don't see Mayweather beating him. Yeah, Ross was "workman-like" where Floyd made it look easy and natural but nevertheless Ross was more refined in a traditional way.

I agree that it will go to the cards. And yeah Mayweather will land his jab and lead right but not often enough for this fight being close enough to win it.

I don't think this will be close on the scorecards and neither is it ion terms of talent or ability. Mayweather IS more talented than Ross. Ross, however, has clearly more ability. Mayweather does not embrace his talent, instead of going for greatness he settles with making money and keeping his "0" fighting mediocre to average opposition, with some good ones in-between. Ross on the other hand did more than he had talent for and made the best out of the abilities he developed in his career. Mayweather is an underachiever by his own choosing. Ross is an overachiever by his choosing.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #35
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Then how come Im a dumb, lying ass in this and countless other threads?

I have been a worthless ***** shit ass.
Look I just quoted random words and avoided your argument just like you did with me
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #36
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Look I just quoted random words and avoided your argument just like you did with me
No, you FABRICATED random words, UNLIKE what I did with you.

You've been exposed as a liar again.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #37
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
No, you FABRICATED random words, UNLIKE what I did with you.

You've been exposed as a liar again.
He does this all the time when he has no arguments left. Pathetic.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #38
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
No, you FABRICATED random words, UNLIKE what I did with you.

You've been exposed as a liar again.
You fabricated random quotes, ignoring the crux of the argument, which you ignored because it was complete ownage

Try Again
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #39
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I suck My2senses ****.
Yes you do
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #40
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Yes you do
you really mus be ashamed of yourself. I pity you.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #41
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

get back on your knees for sensey
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #42
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 3930
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Yeah, it was a bit harsh. Sorry.



You make some good points, although I don't agree with them. Neither McLarnin nor Canzoneri fought similar to Mayweather and they are both better than PBF in my opinion. In fact I think they both proved to be a class above him - yeah, I know strong claim but my opinion. The thing is Mayweather was so cautious and defensive at welter that I can't picture him beating any of the atgs there - and Ross is one, no doubt - and especially not one who matches and even surpasses him in terms of skill. Add to that his higher workrate and faster pace and I don't see Mayweather beating him. Yeah, Ross was "workman-like" where Floyd made it look easy and natural but nevertheless Ross was more refined in a traditional way.

I agree that it will go to the cards. And yeah Mayweather will land his jab and lead right but not often enough for this fight being close enough to win it.

I don't think this will be close on the scorecards and neither is it ion terms of talent or ability. Mayweather IS more talented than Ross. Ross, however, has clearly more ability. Mayweather does not embrace his talent, instead of going for greatness he settles with making money and keeping his "0" fighting mediocre to average opposition, with some good ones in-between. Ross on the other hand did more than he had talent for and made the best out of the abilities he developed in his career. Mayweather is an underachiever by his own choosing. Ross is an overachiever by his choosing.
1. No worries. Just wanted you to see that my pick wasn't based upon a bias against older fighters, but rather by virtue of an examination of the styles.

2. Don't get me wrong, Ross is by far and away the more accomplished of the two fighters, and as a result rated a hell of a lot higher on my ATG list the last time I made one (and that's taking into account the fact that I don't hold Mayweather's failure to face the likes of Cotto and Margarito against him as much as others on the site).

But...

In this case we're dealing with two fighters who came up from lower weights, neither of whom are exceptionally powerful punchers. Ross may well be in possession of a more fundamentally sound style, and would certainly be more active; but if Mayweather knows that he's not at risk of being hurt as he might be in other fights, and finds himself presented with a fighter who can come close to matching him in terms of speed, he'll be inclined to become more agressive and take a few more chances (the Judah fight was an indication of that).

I think Ross certainly could win this fight, or at the very least do enough to convince at least one of the three judges that he deserved to do so, and I don't see him getting whitewashed. But I don't see Mayweather getting schooled either, simply by virtue of the talent that he displays, and the fact that he would likely be too elusive to catch clean with more than one shot at a time.

In my opinion, this is the type of match-up where both fighters would impress in their own way, and I think it would come down to what the judges would like more.

Either way, I see your point now, and can understand where you're coming from even if I don't necessarily agree with it.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #43
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Either way, I see your point now, and can understand where you're coming from even if I don't necessarily agree with it.
Same here
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #44
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You fabricated random quotes,
No, I QUOTED actual quotes, word for word. Show me the words that are "fabricated."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
ignoring the crux of the argument,
You had no argument. All you did was say "You don't know boxing" rephrased several different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
which you ignored because it was complete ownage
So you're saying ignoring a post is an admission of ownage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post

I wont bother responding to your other worthless post,



Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Try Again
What for? You just kicked your own ass now.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #45
split_decision
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Default Re: Barney Ross vs Floyd Mayweather/ Winner?

Barney wins ud
split_decision is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013