Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #46
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jamie Moore turned down a fight with Darren Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
You got it pretty much right there olly. Listen fella's, i would never say the lonsdale belt is below me, i'm very proud of my belt and would love one at Middle. But, the timing isn't right. I've done the 'big bollocks i'll fight anyone' thing and had quite a few fights where there were easier fights i could have had, but i've took the harder ones coz i like the idea of being involved in those fights and being remembered for them when i'm finished. What i did say was that i want to fight for a world title before i retire and i can't wait around for another 12-18months to get into the mandatory position in europe and push myself up the ratings, i want to fight a good name, probably in the US, and try and get a quicker, not easier, route to a world shot.
You know i don't duck people, but as i'm getting older i'm getting a bit smarter! I know i won't be here forever and want my shot. Lesser people have had them.
Anyway, why no thread about Barker ducking Quigley??
i don't think you owe anything to domestic boxing after fights with michael jones (3rd bout), matthew macklin, and ryan rhodes - some of the best fights we've ever seen in a british ring.

internet boxing fans seem to be a mardy bunch, and don't seem aware of the business side of things. it would e a daft risk for anyone coming off a tough defeat. i think you should be given the benefit of the doubt, and allowed to grow into your new weight class.

perhaps if both you and barker get a good european or world ranking, it could happen? i.e. something bigger to fight for. when the time is right. i think you've got world class offensive skills and hope you do well at middleweight, where you might be fitter and stronger.
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #47
cityofgod
Worcester warrior
ESB Senior Member

the internet boxing fan is not mardy at all - were the passionate fans who are keeping boxing alive by discussing and more importantly PAYING for fights.

Achilles makes very valid points. Unless your name is OllyC who seems to think it's his role in life to defend Jamie's fight with a Belarus no-mark, the rest of us can see that. personally i think Jamie would have been better saying yes, I turned it down as i have just come off a loss, want to find my feet again first at the new weight class and then if it goes to plan, will look at that fight was I'm up and running again.

anyway Jamie, im a big fan and hope that whichever route you take to get to where you feel you get to in boxing, then fair enough mate. I suppose i am just a bit gutted that this exciting match up aint happening thats all and think you could do much worse than beat Barker.

(no disrespect intended in previous posts by the way)
cityofgod is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #48
'Ben'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The Pie eating... Triad beating... Undisputed king of ESB
vCash: 75

That's alright as long as Moore starts facing high ranked world contenders at middleweight from now on. Although he deserves an easy comeback fight after the Rhodes battle.
'Ben' is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #49
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofgod View Post
the internet boxing fan is not mardy at all - were the passionate fans who are keeping boxing alive by discussing and more importantly PAYING for fights.

Achilles makes very valid points. Unless your name is OllyC who seems to think it's his role in life to defend Jamie's fight with a Belarus no-mark, the rest of us can see that. personally i think Jamie would have been better saying yes, I turned it down as i have just come off a loss, want to find my feet again first at the new weight class and then if it goes to plan, will look at that fight was I'm up and running again.

anyway Jamie, im a big fan and hope that whichever route you take to get to where you feel you get to in boxing, then fair enough mate. I suppose i am just a bit gutted that this exciting match up aint happening thats all and think you could do much worse than beat Barker.

OK mr passionate not mardy boxing fan.

moore has been stopped by rhodes in a major war. and you think he should fight darren barker - a bigger, younger fighter than rhodes - in HIS NEXT FIGHT.

yes, that makes loads of sense. if barker was coming off a stoppage loss, he wouldn't be wanting to fight moore in his next bout, i'd think.

i think what i suggested makes more sense. build things up at the new weight. see what moore's like at middleweight. then perhaps when the time is right, there might be a good prize for barker and moore to square off.

though i can understand the disappointment for darren barker, as he doesn't seem able to get the tasty fights (moore, macklin, duddy, etc). i think barker needs a decent international name. ages ago mick h mentioned ouma, jantuah, and i wish those fights had been made: they might have been the best ay to push barker forward to bigger and better things.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #50
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
None of that is impressive.
Bendall may have a win over Smith, (which was apparently a robbery, but I haven't seen it), but Smith's record at middle isn't anything to shout about is it? And for the record I had Smith losing to Quigley.
So Crampton was undefeated. So what? He was crap. Lost every single round. Samuel Kebede was undefeated when he fought Scott Harrison. Are you going to talk him up too?
The McDermott win was okay. McDermott should've been granted a rematch with El****. No way to lose an undefeated record.
Nevertheless he's just about British level.
I don't think you are judging Barkers domestic record accurately. He is the best domestic middleweight.

If you really have world title aspirations then the least you should do is beat Brit/C'Wealth champ in your debut at a new weight. Anything less is poo and no one will give the win any thought.

Plus, being Brit/W'ealth at your second weight is leaving a solid legacy behind.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #51
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I don't think you are judging Barkers domestic record accurately. He is the best domestic middleweight.

If you really have world title aspirations then the least you should do is beat Brit/C'Wealth champ in your debut at a new weight. Anything less is poo and no one will give the win any thought.

Plus, being Brit/W'ealth at your second weight is leaving a solid legacy behind.
Then I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree.
After Moore gets this fight out of the way, i'd like to see him go after a Geale or a Gevor; a fringe world class opponent with an appropriate ranking.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #52
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
Then I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree.
After Moore gets this fight out of the way, i'd like to see him go after a Geale or a Gevor; a fringe world class opponent with an appropriate ranking.
I would have liked to see him fight a top 25 guy from the off.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #53
cityofgod
Worcester warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumour24tiger View Post
OK mr passionate not mardy boxing fan.

moore has been stopped by rhodes in a major war. and you think he should fight darren barker - a bigger, younger fighter than rhodes - in HIS NEXT FIGHT.

yes, that makes loads of sense. if barker was coming off a stoppage loss, he wouldn't be wanting to fight moore in his next bout, i'd think.

i think what i suggested makes more sense. build things up at the new weight. see what moore's like at middleweight. then perhaps when the time is right, there might be a good prize for barker and moore to square off.

though i can understand the disappointment for darren barker, as he doesn't seem able to get the tasty fights (moore, macklin, duddy, etc). i think barker needs a decent international name. ages ago mick h mentioned ouma, jantuah, and i wish those fights had been made: they might have been the best ay to push barker forward to bigger and better things.
Whilst i agree with what your saying... have you read a single word of Jamie's comments? he's basically said he wants bigger fights than Barker mate.

That he wants a straight crack at a title and not wait around for 12-18 months.

So all your talk of wars, stoppages losses... well Jamies aint thinking like that (apparently).
cityofgod is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #54
Mikey7
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

No offence taken mate i take everyones points of view on board and answer the ones i disagree with in the appropriate way.
You all make some valid points and i can see where you are coming from in one way, as a BOXING FAN.
And lots of times i have taken fights that are more dangerous than other fights offered coz if i was watching i'd like to see it, as was the case with Macklin and Rhodes especially.
But, if it was your career then i'm not sure you would all be so brave. Infact, i think i've been a lot more willing to take on dangerous fights over the last few years than most.
This is why i brought up the point of Barker not fighting Quigley.
He's not doing anything at the minute, so why not?
Also, just to clarify, i am coming off shoulder surgery(AGAIN!!) so even if i wanted a big fight it wouldn't be wise to jump straight in at the deep end.
Again thanks for all the points of view, and as has been mentioned, if the fight gets to the point where it's win win for both(i.e. elimintor and the right money), then i'll be more than happy to oblige.
Mikey7 is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #55
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post

Macklin, Lujan and Piccirillo?

Macklin a very long time ago. And the other fights were of little note really.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #56
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Whilst i agree with what your saying... have you read a single word of Jamie's comments? he's basically said he wants bigger fights than Barker mate.

That he wants a straight crack at a title and not wait around for 12-18 months.

So all your talk of wars, stoppages losses... well Jamies aint thinking like that (apparently).
well barker could become a bigger fight than it is currently. it's great that barker is willing to have all these fights and hopefully it comes good for him. i think if barker and moore both do well, they would be better off fighting for a bigger reward.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum