Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 AM   #16
Geddy Lee
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Riddick Bowe a Hall Of Famer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
I asked this question about Tyson, Hamed and Gatti on the Boxing Truth radio show this week and one of the guys there made the point that its the 'Hall of Fame' not necessarily the 'Hall of achievement' or words to that effect
very well said , that is so true.

i mean Bowe will get in HOF for winning the world titlle and making 2 defences against washed up boxers, ducking Lennox, lets face it bowe was shit scared of lewis and only beat one boxer of note,

but it gets you in the HOF see Barry Mcguigan
Geddy Lee is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #17
Tony Bellew
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For me he is BUT that's cos I idolised him when growing up watching boxing!! Such a sad story Riddick turned out to be cos he could have achieved so much more than he did BUT still for me he's a HOF man!! The Holyfield Trilogy alone!!
Tony Bellew is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #18
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

As I've said before, because the Hall of Fame insists on inducting new names every year it is enivitable that anyone who has won a significant alphabet title and made a significant amount of defences will be awarded a place.

On that criteria alone Riddick Bowe is almost guranteed a place but it is cemented by the fact that he was THE man at Heavyweight albeit for a very short period. (Two successful defences)

If, however, the Hall of Fame only commenerated those truely worth the accolade then Bowe falls way short of it. He had potential but it was never realised. Yes he only lost 1 fight, and a great one at that, but his record only contains 2 victories over any genuine Hall of Famers and that was the same man twice: Evander Holyfield. Apart from that his record has some very ordinary names on it.

So although it is safe to say that in 4 - 6 years time we will see Riddick Bowe in the open-top car parading down Canastota, it will not be justified in my opinion.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #19
Stickandmove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yes - if we choose to remember Bowe as the magnificent fighter who defeated a prime, undefeated Evander Holyfield to win the undisputed heavyweight title in 1992.

Bowe was a true heavyweight great, one of the best ever - for 1 fight.
Stickandmove is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I don't really like the HoF as a gauge.

Would I say Bowe was an ATG Heavyweight? Well, I would personally have him outside the top 20 based on resume/talent.

Bowe is quite a formidable H2H prospect though.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #21
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

How can a man be inducted into the HoF when all his career he assiduously avoided facing the one true test of his ability?
icemax is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #22
s23041983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

no, but his fights with holyfield are!
s23041983 is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #23
Rich115
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Riddick is one of my favourite fighters. Very talented and was involved in some great fights. He had the talent to be one of the greatest HW's but unfortunatly not the desire and wasted that talent.

I think he deserves HoF though
Rich115 is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

No could have been but isnt next
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
Gaz S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As pointed out, it's the "Hall of Fame" , not hall of ATGs, and in my opinion Bowe was involved in one of the greatest rounds ever, definitely in heavyweight history at least, - the tenth round of the first Holyfield fight. So certainly, he should have some sort of recognition.

That said, his career was a huge disappointment. So much promise and talent, flushed away by training in Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc. If ever there's a model that shows how fame and fortune can take away one's hunger (excuse the irony), then Bowe is it.
His title defences were poor against poor opposition, and he allowed what could have been the defining heavyweight fight of the 1990's to slip away by not fighting Lewis (I would have favoured Lennox to win by the way).
Maybe a lot of it had to do with Rock Newman, but still, when you're heavyweight champion of the world, you carry some stroke and you have to take responsibility for yourself.

Riddick Bowe COULD possibly have been one of the all time greats, but unfortunately history isn't very kind to could-have-beens. Instead, perhaps unfairly, his best achievements are remembered as a footnote to Holyfield's career.

Very sad to hear of his problems and misfortunes away from the ring though. Bowe always came across as a charismatic, funny and nice guy in interviews. Kind of like a big kid who never grew up. Perhaps that was the problem, as it was the big kid attitude that denied him the right level of dedication and discipline needed to sustain a top level career in boxing.
Gaz S is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum