Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Favorite boxing experience outside the ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
My one was meeting Muhammad Ali - April fools day (1991 I think) i was about 15 - at school everyone was saying Ali is in Nottingham (my local city) today and i was going "yeah whatever april fools" so they bet me and took me up to the phone box down the road from school and got me to ring this big book store where they said he was going to be and they said yes Mr Ali will be here today - so I bunked off school there and then rang home and got my mum to ring my dad at work and he got out of work early somehow - I got there about 2 hours in advance but had to queue up for hours and my dad met me at the door when he got there (!!) got in a met him and shook hands and had a bit of a play fight - he was as wide as a door and had massive hands i remember and wrists which were about 3 times the width of mine!! it was a great day and a very emotional one for my dad to - my dear dad wept when he gave him a hug - unfortunately neither of us had a camera on us because it was all last minute - regret that but its all up here anyway
Nice story, guy. I visualized this happening as I read.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
johnmaff36,,Thanks for your interest in us "oldtimers"..As I have posted before, to me Stillmans Gym was like heaven for me,in the 1940s...I sat or stood next to great former champions, contenders, show business figures, and yes wise guys....We all had one common interest...To watch most of all the best boxers sparring wit each other in the two rings on the main floor...Some of the sparring, would become 'wars',and the trainers ,sometimes had to intervene, or risk injury to their charges....Upstairs,the boxers fighters would hit the heavy bags and shadow box...Remember there were about 5 times or more fighters in that golden age, then today,and more fights, more competition, more experience, equals better fighters...Such was the 1940s...B.B.
Thanks for the reply BB. As i said before, id love to hear any stories you guys can give us. When ive read your (or JGs) posts, i have a mental picture of you guys in the gyms standing away from the ringside watching a spar, smell of stale sweat in the air, guys jumping rope and 2 or 3 on the bags at the same time sharing. Dilapitated spit bucket at the feet of a trainer whos leaning on the top rope barking instructions. Old (for those times) fight posters adorning the walls of Dempsey and Walker and the like. Yeah, its a nice image and one i would have loved to experience
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Mine was probably finding out a relative had boxed professionally years ago and then finding his record on Boxrec which was kinda cool
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
billy boy balbo

vCash: 75

saw calzaghe shopping with his kids in morrisons shouted over "yo joe " and he was so shocked but gave me a wave haha
billy boy balbo is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Meeting Rocky Marciano at the Brockton Fair.....
Meeting Jack Dempsey at his restaurant in NYC...
Watching Sonny Liston train in Plymouth Mass. for his second "fight" with Ali in Maine in 1965...
Meeting Marvin Hagler and Jake LaMotta..
Meeting Willie Pep...
Meeting Bob Foster after his title fight with Andy Kendall in May 1969...
Meeting Carmine Basilio and Tony Demarco...just to name a few...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #21
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I had a photo taken with Tyson in Sept 96 which was pretty cool and met Jeff Fenech at the same event in Vegas.The best though was meeting John H Stracy in about 1986/7 he was a really nice guy and was more than happy to talk about his career and boxing in general.
Decy is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
Meeting Rocky Marciano at the Brockton Fair.....
Meeting Jack Dempsey at his restaurant in NYC...
Watching Sonny Liston train in Plymouth Mass. for his second "fight" with Ali in Maine in 1965...
Meeting Marvin Hagler and Jake LaMotta..
Meeting Willie Pep...
Meeting Bob Foster after his title fight with Andy Kendall in May 1969...
Meeting Carmine Basilio and Tony Demarco...just to name a few...
Elaborate please!!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yes Jack Dempsey, I attended Stillmans Gym,almost weekly for several years in the 1940's...As John Garfield once posted to me, we probably rubbed shoulders together many times, in those halycon days for us...Words today cannot describe, the enjoyment I experienced, watching all the great fighters train and spar, a few feet from me...
P.S. All for 50 cents, I might add.....
You must have hundreds of anecdotes that you can relate to us. The 70's was MY golden age of boxing,but the times that you're talking about were THE golden age ! Who else did you meet,Burt ?
Stevie G is online now  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

StevieG, thanks for your interest...So many, many boxing people I met outside the ring...As a youngster Mickey Walker, Tommy Loughran, Jake Lamotta, Harold Green, Bummy Davis, Morris Reif,and so many more...So many events flood my mind about the" Manly Art ".Tip of the iceberg, I can recite at this moment...But I worshiped Stillmans Gym...Never a dull moment there....
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #25
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Quote:
StevieG, thanks for your interest...So many, many boxing people I met outside the ring...As a youngster Mickey Walker, Tommy Loughran, Jake Lamotta, Harold Green, Bummy Davis, Morris Reif,and so many more...So many events flood my mind about the" Manly Art ".Tip of the iceberg, I can recite at this moment...But I worshiped Stillmans Gym...Never a dull moment there....
What was Bummy Davis like?, he's a sort of hero of mine
Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Jack Dempsey [my hero]...I saw Bummy Davis fight quite a few times.Davis was a short, pugnacious lightweight puncher with the most powerful LEFT Hook, I have ever seen in a lightweight...Coming up he Ko'd Tippy Larkin,Bernie Friedkin, and an old shot Tony Canzoneri, which made Davis a villian to the partisan crowd, who loved Canzoneri..I could talk about Bummy Davis for a long time, but not now...He sure could hit, that I'll say..Hope I gave you a little info, J.D.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #27
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jack Dempsey [my hero]...I saw Bummy Davis fight quite a few times.Davis was a short, pugnacious lightweight puncher with the most powerful LEFT Hook, I have ever seen in a lightweight...Coming up he Ko'd Tippy Larkin,Bernie Friedkin, and an old shot Tony Canzoneri, which made Davis a villian to the partisan crowd, who loved Canzoneri..I could talk about Bummy Davis for a long time, but not now...He sure could hit, that I'll say..Hope I gave you a little info, J.D.
Great stuff, cheers Burt
Old 03-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #28
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

OK, Jack Dempsey....I met Dempsey at his NYC restaurant just before it closed in 1974.
He was sitting at a table in his place(which is where you would find him)..he had quite a few folks standing around his table....taking photos and signing autographs...I shook his hand...I was thrilled....
Marciano was at the Brockton Fair..he was with his daughter Mary-Anne...I shook his hand...nice man...
Sonny Liston...It was in November of 1964 while he was training for his rematch with Ali.
Sonny was at the White Cliffs Country Club in Plymouth Ma....right on Cape Cod Bay. The place was jammed..it was so hot in there...the ring was in the ballroom..also got to shake Lison's hand....big man!!!
Hagler & LaMotta...It was in Brockton Ma. in 1984...Had my pic taken with Marvin....LaMotta was late...met him as I was leaving...
Bob Foster...May 1969...Springfield Mass.....also stood next to Howard Cosell who was doing the fight for ABC....my Dad worked with one of Foster's sparring partners...met Foster after he KO'd Andy Kendall...
Basilio & DeMarco in Boston...they had a dinner a few years ago to honer their 2 classic fights in 1955....great guys...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #29
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I forgot to mention Wille Pep....he was at a dinner in Providence R.I. in 1981 or 1982...I asked him about Jackie Graves.....maybe the BEST pure boxer ever!!!
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #30
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
johnmaff36,,Thanks for your interest in us "oldtimers"..As I have posted before, to me Stillmans Gym was like heaven for me,in the 1940s...I sat or stood next to great former champions, contenders, show business figures, and yes wise guys....We all had one common interest...To watch most of all the best boxers sparring wit each other in the two rings on the main floor...Some of the sparring, would become 'wars',and the trainers ,sometimes had to intervene, or risk injury to their charges....Upstairs,the boxers fighters would hit the heavy bags and shadow box...Remember there were about 5 times or more fighters in that golden age, then today,and more fights, more competition, more experience, equals better fighters...Such was the 1940s...B.B.
wow, i cant match any of that. its real history, you must have seen all the trainers back then like bimstein etc.
I have been lucky enough to meet suger ray leonard, marvin hagler (who signs right handed) roberto duran, tommy hearns, evander holyfield, mike tyson, john conteh and most british world chapions at dinner functions and i liked all of them. all great guys and suprisingly modest. cut from the same cloth as many many ordinary ex boxers that can be just as nice.
choklab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum