Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

any idea what they do?
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Please tell me more - why the use of "finally" was it tough to get the appt?

Did you have to pay anything?

What did your GP/Person who originally diagnosed you say?

What is the nature of ur rotator cuff problem, does your left arm get fatigued more easily than your right and is it painful to hold your left hand up and jab? Is it painful to tuck your trousers in at the back / prop yourself up with your elbow? I'm asking because I have a bad shoulder problem and think it might be rotator cuff so I want to gather as much info as possible...
dfh85 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh85 View Post
Please tell me more - why the use of "finally" was it tough to get the appt?

Did you have to pay anything?

What did your GP/Person who originally diagnosed you say?

What is the nature of ur rotator cuff problem, does your left arm get fatigued more easily than your right and is it painful to hold your left hand up and jab? Is it painful to tuck your trousers in at the back / prop yourself up with your elbow? I'm asking because I have a bad shoulder problem and think it might be rotator cuff so I want to gather as much info as possible...
no its free....

i went to my gp about 7 months ago for my shoulder problems and he just gave me anti inflamatory drugs, they didn't work so i kept going back to him and he kept saying it was one thing or another, he sent me to an x ray and nothing showed up so he said i should rest for a month or 2 and see what happens.

so i go in today still complaining about the same problems and he fills in an application for me to see an orthopedic surgeon.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh85 View Post

What is the nature of ur rotator cuff problem, does your left arm get fatigued more easily than your right and is it painful to hold your left hand up and jab? Is it painful to tuck your trousers in at the back / prop yourself up with your elbow? I'm asking because I have a bad shoulder problem and think it might be rotator cuff so I want to gather as much info as possible...

i haven't got the same problem as you but yours does sound like a rotator cuff problem, get it checked out quick, if the doctor doesn't listen keep going back to him.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

See I know theyre gonna **** me around like that and on my insurance i have to pay a $20 co payment per visit. theyll milk me for it and by the time they write the application ill be broke.. I been training almost 3 months with my shoulder like this its got alot better but its not 100%...
dfh85 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh85 View Post
See I know theyre gonna **** me around like that and on my insurance i have to pay a $20 co payment per visit. theyll milk me for it and by the time they write the application ill be broke.. I been training almost 3 months with my shoulder like this its got alot better but its not 100%...
doesn't your insurance cover physiotherapy etc visits?
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 1000
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
no its free....

i went to my gp about 7 months ago for my shoulder problems and he just gave me anti inflamatory drugs, they didn't work so i kept going back to him and he kept saying it was one thing or another, he sent me to an x ray and nothing showed up so he said i should rest for a month or 2 and see what happens.

so i go in today still complaining about the same problems and he fills in an application for me to see an orthopedic surgeon.
You should of requested the referral immediately.
You had plenty of ammunition to justify it.
rodney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
You should of requested the referral immediately.
You had plenty of ammunition to justify it.
well i kept asking for a referral to a physio but the doctor told me i have go through the correct procedures (x ray etc).
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 1000
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
well i kept asking for a referral to a physio but the doctor told me i have go through the correct procedures (x ray etc).
See another doctor.
Also get accessed by more than one orthopod.
Exrays show nothing.
MRI's or Arthograms.
rodney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
See another doctor.
Also get accessed by more than one orthopod.
Exrays show nothing.
MRI's or Arthograms.
can i ask my GP for that? i mean do i have enough 'ammunition' for that?
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 1000
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
can i ask my GP for that? i mean do i have enough 'ammunition' for that?
I guess it depends on where you live and what kind of health care program you have.
If you have to pay yourself you can probably get an MRI tomorrow.
You definately have the ammunition for a referral to an orthopod.
Not only that --- but the orthopod of your choice.
Do some research --- ask some hospital friends regarding who is real good with shoulders.
Shoulders and rotator cuffs are complicated.
If it is just a small tear, it is probably not operable.
With rest, the tear will heal/fill with scar tissue.
If your younger, and its the 1st time that you tweeked your shoulder, it will heal.
Then back to the 7 minute rotator cuff solution.
I tweeked my Rt. shoulder, dislocated my Lft. and today they are both fine.
No surgery.
I will never shoulder press heavy weights, but I can hit the bag fine and swing a golf club with decent range of motion.
And I am not younger.
Find a good sports medicine specialist.
Those guys can provide a better diagnosis than your GP (for sure).
So --- what do you do in the mean time?
Run, legs, abs etc.
Good luck.
rodney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 1000
Default Re: finally got an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for my rotator cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
well i kept asking for a referral to a physio but the doctor told me i have go through the correct procedures (x ray etc).
You need a specialist/orthopod for a proper diagnosis.
Then he can refer you to physio.
For me, my chiropractor helped me out.
He is a pretty smart guy, very knowledgeable re: sports injuries.
Start with --- rest, ice, anti-inflammatory (topical version), a little stretching, electronic muscle stimulator and the 7 minute rotator cuff solution.
I didnt need no referral to see him.
Just picked the phone.
My plan covered most of the cost.
rodney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013