Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shavers/Roy Williams - One Of The Best Displays Of Chin Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Well, Shavers-Williams actually took place on December 11, 1976. Louis had a little bit still left in the tank physically at age 62. This was a little over two years since he refereed Frazier-Quarry II. I don't know when he became largely wheelchair ridden, but this must have been among the final times he was an active participant climbing the ring steps.

The very last match Joe was a ringside spectator for was Holmes-Berbick on April 11, 1981. Louis died on April 12.

The very next day? Wow, he was a boxing personailty right to the bitter end.. I've seen fights that I thought were going to absolutely kill me too, but I didn't think that Holmes Berbick was that bad.....LOL
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
The very next day? Wow, he was a boxing personality right to the bitter end.. I've seen fights that I thought were going to absolutely kill me too, but I didn't think that Holmes Berbick was that bad.....LOL
Plenty of scribes opined that Joe deserved better than to go out on that pairing. During the course of it, he was observed occasionally doing things like nodding to himself. Louis seemed to be assessing in his own mind how he would go about addressing Holmes in competition, evaluating Larry's strengths and weaknesses.

Joe was an employee of Caesar's Palace. Even while very ill and parked in a wheelchair, he remained a professional spectator, always positioned facing the primary camera from across the ring to remain visible to viewers throughout the action. He probably was more suited to a nursing home or hospital bed by that stage, but this was about as easy a way to make a living as was ever possible.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #18
Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Yes, and there's a bit of footage and discussion about it starting at
3:10 here:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Larry himself has the complete bout of course, but it has yet to surface
on line through any other source.
I wish I could see more of Roy,but it's nice to know the fight exists on film.

Thanks Duodenum.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
I wish I could see more of Roy, but it's nice to know the fight exists on film.

Thanks Duodenum.
Cheers, Arka. The bottom line is that we know it does exist, and that it was broadcast on network television, so there's a good chance somebody who has it on tape will eventually release it. As for me, I'd like to see the opening six rounds of Shavers-Williams return to youtube.

There was also an interesting interview with Norton and Foreman beforehand. It was intriguing to see the two of them together discussing the match about to come up, considering their history in Caracas. During the early rounds, Big George left the ringside area in what may have been intended as a gesture of disdain for the combatants. Foreman and Kenny did not address each other, or make eye contact. They were civil, but seemed stiff while together, both deadly serious.

When coming together on camera after their classic war, Holmes and Norton always shared a congenial smile and handshake during the early 1980s, a refreshing display of gentlemanly cordiality after the promotional acrimony and disdain, manufactured and otherwise, of the Ali years. Holmes didn't originally come across as a prick. He became embittered over time by the monarchist press resentment of him for not being Ali.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #20
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

On another forum there was someone who claimed to have the Larry Holmes-Roy Williams fight and that he was willing to upload it. I wonder if he's still up to that offer?
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Look at Thomas-Tyson. Damn Pinklon showed his chin that night for however long.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt2waqpyEHw[/ame]
techks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum