Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #16
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roger Mayweather's Method Of Padwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
I used to think it was purely for show as well however, I've changed my sentiment. It builds counters and reactions instead of an entire memorized routine. You get hit with the right hand? Shoulder roll, uppercut, left hook, right cross. Get hit with the hook? Block the hook, give a hook back, right cross, left hook. Etc. There are preset counters but Floyd has to be given something to react to. That's where Roger does a great deal of his work. He might hit him with the right pad to evoke a shoulder roll, or Roger might tell him to fade (sway) a split second before he does it so that Floyd has to adjust.

It's just as much work for the padman because he is providing stimuli and then having Floyd counter appropriately. However, just because the pad holder is doing a lot of work and thinking doesn't mean that the person hitting the pads is doing less. And it just happens to look flashy because it is difficult to do let alone with the speed and consistency with which Floyd executes it. Make no mistake about it, it is based on reaction within the pocket.
In boxing you don't know what punch is coming, you have to react there and then. He's not reacting to a punch he's just moving around because he knows whats coming next, it's the same as a choreographed dance routine.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
I used to think it was purely for show as well however, I've changed my sentiment. It builds counters and reactions instead of an entire memorized routine. You get hit with the right hand? Shoulder roll, uppercut, left hook, right cross. Get hit with the hook? Block the hook, give a hook back, right cross, left hook. Etc. There are preset counters but Floyd has to be given something to react to. That's where Roger does a great deal of his work. He might hit him with the right pad to evoke a shoulder roll, or Roger might tell him to fade (sway) a split second before he does it so that Floyd has to adjust.

It's just as much work for the padman because he is providing stimuli and then having Floyd counter appropriately. However, just because the pad holder is doing a lot of work and thinking doesn't mean that the person hitting the pads is doing less. And it just happens to look flashy because it is difficult to do let alone with the speed and consistency with which Floyd executes it. Make no mistake about it, it is based on reaction within the pocket.
I agree with this sentiment. It builds counters and reflexes through repetition. That said - it's all bull when Floyd looks away and goes through the motions via memory.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Sorry, but it's a load of BS. As with any training there has to be progression. Maywether has clearly been doing that same choreographed shit for years. It may look cool or whatever but wheres the progression?
Floyd is the absolute world top, how exactly do you expect him to make even more progress? Sometimes things are about maintenance.

Quote:
In boxing you don't know what punch is coming, you have to react there and then. He's not reacting to a punch he's just moving around because he knows whats coming next, it's the same as a choreographed dance routine.
Yet we constantly repeat drills over and over to make it an automated process, so that it does not require any thought at fight time. Ducking underneath hooks, over and over and over. Blocking punches, over and over and over. Throwing combinations, over and over and over. Repetition is the most important aspect of training.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Yet we constantly repeat drills over and over to make it an automated process, so that it does not require any thought at fight time. Ducking underneath hooks, over and over and over. Blocking punches, over and over and over. Throwing combinations, over and over and over. Repetition is the most important aspect of training.
My point is he isn't reacting to a punch, he's moving because he knows what's coming, pretty much like a kata in Karate. Take away Roger and i'm sure he'd still be able to do that shit without the pads.

If he didn't know what was coming and he reacted to every punch it'd make sense, this just doesn't.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #20
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

If he didn't know what was coming and reacted to every punch it'd be closer to sparring. It's a drill, drills are supposed to be like that.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #21
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Sorry, but it's a load of BS. As with any training there has to be progression. Maywether has clearly been doing that same choreographed shit for years. It may look cool or whatever but wheres the progression?
Progression?? Reaction time progression, muscle memory progression.... It teaches counters... Try watching one of you fights and see how many things you do without thinking. Reactions,, and mayweather is training good reactions and reaction.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #22
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Progression?? Reaction time progression, muscle memory progression.... It teaches counters... Try watching one of you fights and see how many things you do without thinking. Reactions,, and mayweather is training good reactions and reaction.
He isn't reacting to anything, that's my point. He's moving to a set routine he's been doing for years. I can't see how I can explain it anymore.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #23
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Your explanation is just fine, we get what you're saying. What me and Jeff are trying to say, is that that's the entire point of the exercise. He doesn't need to think or actively react to anything any more, it has become an automated process. In the ring he won't have to think about certain things any more either.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #24
Roland Deschain

Quote:
It isn't necessarily true that you don't know what punches are coming in boxing. It is relative to the boxer and the situation but in general Floyd can see punches coming because of his quick reflexes and timing as well as his ability to draw out punches as well. If you were more observant, this may be more apparent. In any case, it is irrelevant to my point. Floyd looks as if he's doing the same routine because basically... he is. But it isn't a routine as in he does the exact same moves every time beginning to end. There are counters to the different punches thrown and Roger throws the punches at will and Floyd counters them. So yes, essentially the counters are the same though every now and then Roger will tell him to fade instead of slip, or double hook instead of throwing the 2,3,2. So what you are watching are programmed counters to various punches that Roger throws at random. Floyd just makes it look easy. Floyd doesn't even need to see the punches most of the time as long as he feels them as the punches are based off of reaction. You feel it, you give it.
Roland Deschain is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #25
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love Hewitt View Post
I think those pad drills are just for show.
That's what I think. Also, the punches seem like "pitty-pat" punches. Nothing on them, and Roger slaps the gloves with the mitts, which seems like cheating.

I know when I work the mitts my coach is moving away, sideways, towards me. I have to find him, he doesn't give it away like Roger is doing.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #26
The Predator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Use both styles. there are many diffeent styles when it comes to padwork, different for different types of training, best is to mix it up. Also, mayweather is on a much higher level as a boxer than most of us.
The Predator is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
boxfanlut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love Hewitt View Post
This style of pad work is great for increasing a coaches hand speed and stamina.

Personally, I think it's pure garbage. The pad dance is not what makes Floyd. Floyd is an especially gifted fighter, and he's been doing this since he was a baby. I think those pad drills are just for show. I doubt doing those drills would increase anyone's boxing skill much better than more traditional pad work.

BUMP

Still think that???
boxfanlut is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #28
rongee90
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Floyds favourite part of training is padworks...Unless your've actually tried it for 3mins non-stop 4-6 rounds, it is not easy. Yes part of its for show but it actually helps with fluidity, upper body conditioning, particularly the shoulders, hand-eye co-ordination, muscle memory, sharpness, endurance and reaction just to name a few.

Now if the best boxer in the world tells me to learn it because its gonna assist in improving my overall fight game, Im not going to say no. People who've never tried it and say it won't do shit are ignorant. If you want to be the best, open your mind, humble yourself and learn from the best!! It could be the difference between winning and losing your next fight!
rongee90 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
rongee90
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

keep in mind it doesn't mean you should adjust your style of fighting to match floyds. Stick to what works best for you and keep improving all your fundamentals. Great boxers are fighters that do the basics real well!
rongee90 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
rongee90
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Your explanation is just fine, we get what you're saying. What me and Jeff are trying to say, is that that's the entire point of the exercise. He doesn't need to think or actively react to anything any more, it has become an automated process. In the ring he won't have to think about certain things any more either.
Yes, but he needs to remain sharp!. You keep cutting down trees with out sharpening the saw, eventually it goes blunt! Repetition is the master of skill. Unless you maintain and keep developing the skill, you will lose it!
rongee90 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing