Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: ATG: Who ranks higher?
Tito Trinidad 3 16.67%
Erik Morales 15 83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
asero
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 75
Default ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

The general forum has morales ranked higher by more than 80% of the votes.

I remember every ATG list posted in the classic form had trinidad higher than morales.

Once and for all, should trinidad be ranked higher than morales?
asero is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Morales. I wouldn´t rank either of them as an atg though.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Both ATGs but id put Morales about 15 to 20 slots higher.

Morales between 50-60
Trinidad 70 ish no lower than 80.
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

I always thought Tito was the better fighter of the two in a h2h ability sense, and was more dominant in his prime, but Morales probably accomplished more, i.e. beat a better array of fighters overall.

In saying that, I am of course not crediting Tito with the DLH win, and giving Morales credit for pretty much going even with Barrera over their trilogy.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 03-22-2010 at 04:39 AM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 259
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Both ATGs but id put Morales about 15 to 20 slots higher.

Morales between 50-60
Trinidad 70 ish no lower than 80.
Trinidad was a bad ass at his peak... he rates higher than Morales. What is odd is that the rumor was his first retirement was caused by a brain injury'

Camacho, Carr, Pendleton, Whitaker, Campas, Vargas, and Joppy are some pretty good wins.
ricardinho is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

It's a pity Tito wasted his peak years (95-99) fighting trash. But I suppose Don King had something to do with that.

Could have really enhanced his legacy if he beat an Ike Quartey, Jose Luis Lopez or Vernon Forrest during that time (I think he beats all three). He could have beaten Pete too if Whitaker was in Hurtado/Rivera form, but he probably would have been outboxed if Whitaker trained hard for the fight. In any case, a close loss to Whitaker still would have been a legacy builder, and perhaps he could have beaten a well trained Whitaker regardless after about 96. Of course he could have stepped up around 96 and ended Norris' career too.

Just a wasted period for Tito.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
I always thought Tito was the better fighter of the two in a h2h ability sense, and was more dominant in his prime, but Morales probably accomplished more, i.e. beat a better array of fighters overall.

In saying that, I am of course am not crediting Tito with the DLH win, and giving Morales credit for pretty much going even with Barrera over their trilogy.
I agree with most of your post,but not sure about the HTH matchup Think Morales was more versatile but Trinidad was more explosive.
I see where your coming from by giving him credit for almost going even with Barrera who i think is definitely higher than Tito and you cant rate Morales too much lower than Barrera.
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #8
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardinho View Post
Trinidad was a bad ass at his peak... he rates higher than Morales. What is odd is that the rumor was his first retirement was caused by a brain injury'

Camacho, Carr, Pendleton, Whitaker, Campas, Vargas, and Joppy are some pretty good wins.
SOrry Ricardo have to disagree with you here Tito has a pretty damn good resume with all his defenses at Welter,being the Man at JM, etc but Morales resume is deeper look at this list of top notch guys.

Hector Acero Sanchez- forgotten former JF champ was very good
Daniel Zarragoa- HoF and close to a great fighter
Junior Jones- on the downside but still dangerous won a title after this
Wayne Mccullough- beat him convincingly
Marco A Barrera- went 1-2 and was almost his equal
Kevin Kelly- Faded but still a dangerous foe.
Guty Espadas- 1st one very close, beat him easy in the rematch
In Chin Chi- Tought good fight over a top feather and future champ
Paulie Ayala- Ayala moving up but, still an impressive and dominant win for El Terrible
Jesus Chavez- Chavez was very good at JL and kind of underrated he would beat everyone at JL today
Famoso Hernandez-Another tough good win over a solid champion
Pacquiao- The first fight was his biggest win despite being on the downslide this win pumps his credentials up even more so.
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
I agree with most of your post,but not sure about the HTH matchup Think Morales was more versatile but Trinidad was more explosive.
I see where your coming from by giving him credit for almost going even with Barrera who i think is definitely higher than Tito and you cant rate Morales too much lower than Barrera.
Morales was more versatile for sure, but not more effective for being so imo. Tito was a one trick pony but it got the job done well nevertheless.

Over 15 rounds, I think he would have been a killer too, and I think he would solve a lot of the problems he had with his stylistic vulnerability - boxer types. He might well have stopped DLH over 15 rounds.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
asero
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 75
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardinho View Post
Trinidad was a bad ass at his peak... he rates higher than Morales. What is odd is that the rumor was his first retirement was caused by a brain injury'

Camacho, Carr, Pendleton, Whitaker, Campas, Vargas, and Joppy are some pretty good wins.

nah! a case of underrating smaller men
asero is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

I think its very close, both have plenty of wins over B class type opposition. Both are 3 division champs, both got gifts to become Ring Champs in there first division, both came up short against the very best.

Tito was dominated by Hopkins 2 divisions up, but if Morales chased Mayweather at 130 in the same way Tito did with Hopkins he'd similarly get dominated. Both fought an A- opponent DLH/MAB, Morales clearly did better despite losing all 3 (no way he wont the first and MAB edged the second for me), although Tito may have been drained at the weight. Titos dominant wins over Vargas and Reid were spectacular at the time. Morales win over Pacquaio probably gives him the edge between them as its the best win by a margin
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Erik beat greats and Tito barely beat Oscar.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Erik beat greats and Tito barely beat Oscar.
I take it you mean MAB is better than DLH. If so, based on what?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
asero
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 75
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I think its very close, both have plenty of wins over B class type opposition. Both are 3 division champs, both got gifts to become Ring Champs in there first division, both came up short against the very best.

Tito was dominated by Hopkins 2 divisions up, but if Morales chased Mayweather at 130 in the same way Tito did with Hopkins he'd similarly get dominated. Both fought an A- opponent DLH/MAB, Morales clearly did better despite losing all 3 (no way he wont the first and MAB edged the second for me), although Tito may have been drained at the weight. Titos dominant wins over Vargas and Reid were spectacular at the time. Morales win over Pacquaio probably gives him the edge between them as its the best win by a margin
the polls in the general forums and here do not indicate their rankings should be close
asero is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: ATG: Who Ranks Higher, Tito Trinidad or Erik Morales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asero View Post
the polls in the general forums and here do not indicate their rankings should be close
That's because due to their association with Pac, Morales, barrera and Marquez are at this moment being enormously overrated by many.Not knocking the fighters themselves, but it's hard to deny right now.

Of couse this is quite close.I'm not a big fan of either man's comp, up until he beat Pac, Morales record was just ok outside of barrera...full of washed up former very goods and decent second-tier types...the pac win elevated it nicely.Tito on the other hand had a Welterweight reign full of hapless challengers, and a lot of his bigger more impressive wins were against guys i've never rated like Reid and Joppy.He was an effective destroyer though, that's undeniable.

I could go back and forth on this one really, and have done in the past.Both have their very good and bad points...today i feel like Morales might have a slight edge overall, but i feel Tito would beat him more often than not in a P4P hypothetical.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013