Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #31
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons vs. Dick Tiger

Plus, the period of time I mentioned is a point in his career where there is basically no film. Tough fighter to appraise. Shame CT is not about.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #32
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think a peak 78-83 hagler could possibly outpoint fitz at 160. Once hagler tastes bobbys power he will know he has to box carefully with movemet angles,and his pumping jab. Hagler has the chin to take the odd shot that comes through,but marvin has to outbox fitz,he cant wait sit back and counter punch,because thats bobbys game,and if anyone can stop hagler at 160 its fitz.
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #33
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Pre-Corbett papers described him as a 'master of science' and a good mover; I'm given the impression that he made only slight adjustments with his feet to set up his startling counter shots.

Jim Hall, in their guaranteed no fix, slipped one punch to walk onto a short uppercut that laid him flat out. It was hard to escape Fitz. I also think his smaller gloves would help him damage Tigers tough chin.

Let's say 15 rounds, Fitz wears his gloves, Tiger wears his. Fitz doesn't appear (from reports) to be a guy that fouled or excessively clinched so I'm not sure that is too much of an issue here.

Fitz Decision
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #34
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquirer View Post
I think a peak 78-83 hagler could possibly outpoint fitz at 160. Once hagler tastes bobbys power he will know he has to box carefully with movemet angles,and his pumping jab. Hagler has the chin to take the odd shot that comes through,but marvin has to outbox fitz,he cant wait sit back and counter punch,because thats bobbys game,and if anyone can stop hagler at 160 its fitz.
Bear in mind when Fitz was a middle, the limit was 154
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #35
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
As freakishly hard as Fitz hit, can Richard possibly win, being he was a hell of a hitter himself?
I think this has the potential to be another Tiger/ Foster.
Tiger was very strong and durable but not particulalry elusive ,and marching into Fitz ,unless you are Jeffries is not a good idea.
I go with Fitz and by ko, 9rds.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I think PRIME Tiger will last with Fitz. Whilst I agree that Fitz's power is probably comparable to Fosters, Tiger was at the end of his career when he came to Foster if I'm not mistaken.

Although, as I previously said, Fitz's gloves may event hat out, making his punches as destructive as anything Tiger has seen. Just a thought.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #37
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Im sure fitzy will let hagler come in at 159 or so to accomodate the fight.
Those old timers arent like these new fangled boys who make welterweights or light heavies fight UNDER their normal weights in catchweight contests rather than over. But,to be true to the thread,how about robinson at 154? Or a few dark horses, hearns,ray leonard Or even the hawk?
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #38
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquirer View Post
new fangled boys ?
Oh my ****ing God.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #39
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You like that russy?!
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #40
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Fitz hit as hard as Foster in my estimation. Foster nearly killed Tiger. But then, this is a smaller version of Fitz who hadn't established himself as anything like the puncher he would become, so yeah, i'll accept your maybe. At the very least we agree that Tiger had an absolutley extraordinary chin.
I was talking more of Tigers potential to KO Fitz

I'm not sure you can compare them as punchers, Tiger/Foster had to wear much bigger gloves which obviously take a huge edge off the tranfer of their power. Put some big pillows on Fitz and his power and 1punch kos would drop off big time. None punching boxers have killed men with a single shot in a street fight
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #41
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I was talking more of Tigers potential to KO Fitz

I'm not sure you can compare them as punchers, Tiger/Foster had to wear much bigger gloves which obviously take a huge edge off the tranfer of their power. Put some big pillows on Fitz and his power and 1punch kos would drop off big time. None punching boxers have killed men with a single shot in a street fight
That is a good theory. Only problem is that Fitz often wore the pillows as you call them and it didnt seem to effect his astonishing one punch ko power in the slightest.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #42
Brian123
ESB WORLD CHAMPION
ESB Senior Member

Fitz's power and speed (oh yeah and a granite chin) would just be to much for Tiger.
Brian123 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #43
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like Fitz in this one. I think he both has a better chance of moving about and countering for a decision, or of scoring a knockout.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #44
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

First of all, Bob Fitzimmons was a freak on nature...Weighing about 150-165 lbs at his prime,Fitz's weight was deceptive...He had massive shoulders and back muscles, of a 200 lb heavyweight , a large chest and tapering down to a thin waist, and long thin legs...Built like a top was old Fitz described...Fitzimmons at 160 lbs tackled heavyweights all the time, and had the power to ko most of them in his prime...People forget that Fitz was thirty six vwhen he first fought Jeffries in 1899..He gave young 220 lb Jeffries all he could handle ,until the 11th round...Six years before who knows,who would have won? I say Ruby Robert ko's boring in brave Dick Tiger in early rounds ala Bob Foster...What I have read of boxing writers of that time,I believe that only one middleweight would have a chance, to beat a prime Fitzimmons, and that would possibly be Harry Greb, because of his great foot speed...Greb was described as "never in the same spot for a second".hard to be timed solidly,windmill flurries, and out of range again...But there can never be a Bob Fitzimmons again... The mould was broken...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #45
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

P.S. I have read that it is harder to ko a fighter with gloves than with thinskin gloves of early days..Gloves are more concussive,cover a wider area, and more likely to put a man to sleep..Bare knuckles and thinskin gloves are more cutting, and hurt more than tdays mitts...Maybe that ius why the oldtimers soaked their faces in brine constantly during their careers? Interesting subject though...
burt bienstock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum