Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
girl
Journeyman

vCash: 1248
Question Uneven Weight Distribution on Feet

Most of the videos online recommend I maintain a 50/50 distribution of weight between my feet. But, my coach suggested today I distribute a little more on my leading leg by default.

Does it make a difference?

I can't think why he would suggest that. Granted, every time I move forward now, I feel more ready to 'attack'. But, surely, that readiness can't come at the expense of balance. (Usually, his answer to my lack of balance is: "Widen your stance a little.")
girl is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179
Default Re: Uneven Weight Distribution on Feet

Post a naked picture of yourself so we can judge your body mechanics and go from there

Sorry I can't be of actual help, just give it a go at home if you have the room. Try different weight distribution and throw a couple of combos and see how you feel. (Best done in front of a mirror to make sure the technique is right) Different people respond to different things & work better in different ways, what your coach may think will work for 80% of people, might not work best for you
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Weight on the the back leg will favour a defensive or retreating tactic as your weight is already displaced to move backward.

Weight on the front leg will favour an offensive or fighting tactic because the weight distribution is already forward.

Most fighters have a preference or favoured position to engage but the ability to balance or transfer your weight over the 50-50 load will give you options created by mobility. That is the option to move forward or backward in a short period of time aswell as the benefit of shifting weight distribution to throw a power punch.

When a coach says you are not putting enough weight on your front leg, he's probably saying you're not moving forward enough or the weight in your punch isn't being transferred properly.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
girl
Journeyman

vCash: 1248

Thanks, guys! That was really helpful, especially this bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
When a coach says you are not putting enough weight on your front leg, he's probably saying you're not moving forward enough or the weight in your punch isn't being transferred properly.
I must learn to get inside my new coach's head.
girl is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Weight on the the back leg will favour a defensive or retreating tactic as your weight is already displaced to move backward.

Weight on the front leg will favour an offensive or fighting tactic because the weight distribution is already forward.

Most fighters have a preference or favoured position to engage but the ability to balance or transfer your weight over the 50-50 load will give you options created by mobility. That is the option to move forward or backward in a short period of time aswell as the benefit of shifting weight distribution to throw a power punch.

Son of Gaul is online now  Top
Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl View Post
Most of the videos online recommend I maintain a 50/50 distribution of weight between my feet. But, my coach suggested today I distribute a little more on my leading leg by default.

Does it make a difference?

I can't think why he would suggest that. Granted, every time I move forward now, I feel more ready to 'attack'. But, surely, that readiness can't come at the expense of balance. (Usually, his answer to my lack of balance is: "Widen your stance a little.")
He is wrong. Weight distribution must be 50-50. A nice well rounded fighter is ready to move in any direction and deliver any punch required. Even if you are going to follow a core style i.e. slugging or moving then you would still be wrong to change your balance because of absorbing punches, delivering punches and being in position to do whatever.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing