Old 03-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #92
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Smith and Watt - realistic replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
Heh, yeah. What I dont get though, is that the kind of person who is mortally offended by naughty words is quite unlikely to be sat up in the wee hours of the morning watching people punch each other in the face...
Exactly.

I doubt Dave Coldwell saying to Tony Dodson ''you're doing **** all!!'' is any worse than Bruce Willis effing and jeffing about a million times during Die Hard 2, a film that would be on at a similar time
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #93
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Exactly.

I doubt Dave Coldwell saying to Tony Dodson ''you're doing **** all!!'' is any worse than Bruce Willis effing and jeffing about a million times during Die Hard 2, a film that would be on at a similar time
Yippee ki yay mother ****er
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #94
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAC View Post
The whole scoring of the Small-Webb fight aside, does anyone else think this is a terrible pairing to have in commentary?

Lets admit it, its more like Watt and Watt. Big Jim just runs off at the mouth with anything that happens to spring into his head, showing an unnatural bias towards one particular fighter, and Smith just hangs off his testicles for 50% of the time, agreeing with everything he says, keeping his scorecard one or two points away from Jim's to maintain some pride in himself, while the other 50% is spent calling phantom punches that don't land and making out that a decent/poor domestic scrap is actually the Thrilla in Manilla part two.

It really is becoming infuriating.

Any realistic replacments that you can think of?

Even someone who can keep a leech on Watt, while Smith is dragged into the cellar of the Sky Sports building and quickly done away with? (Darke does a good job, but isn't always available)

Totally agree D-MAC.

Watt, is a boring old git who is continuously contradicting himself. Last night he was hanging off Smalls nuts (imo) and then when about round 10 came about we all find out that he has the cards near enough level.

Plus he is always negative about one fighter. Last night as Webb was cut he was saying that Webb should just go for broke, if it doesnt work out then at least he tried but he would be losing to the better man (or in words like that).

Adam Smith is shite, and looks like a nonce.

I always liked Darke and McCrory but as you say they seem to have prior engagements.

Woodhall, Oliver or Johnny Nelson, who i like as a commentator, dont know about everyone else.
KCD is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #95
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

the thing about Jim Watt is that he used to be brillant watch his comentary in the 90's with Reg, he was brilliant very calm and measured, but now he's just constantly roaring his head of and shouting.

I like Jim Watt I thinks he is a great man, but I think nowdays hes better suited to being on the panel in studio than comentating
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #96
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Adam Smith is awful,you would think listening to him that Paul Smith vs Dobson was Gatti vs Ward,I think Ian Darke and Spencer Oliver would be the two best commentators..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #97
Northern Ninja

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Matt Hatton and Clare Balding.
Matt would feel inadequate next to Clare. I don't mean in terms of commentating ability but in terms of penis size. She's one big lad!

I quite like Darke but heís slipping a bit these days and Sky should be looking to get someone in to learn for the future. I'd pair the new fella with Spencer Oliver, who's criminally underused by Sky.

I canít believe someone mentioned Colin 'Itís not like the old days' Hart. The thought of having to listen to him droning on about Ali all the way through a British title war sends shivers down my spine.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #98
billy boy balbo

man lets get bruno on!
billy boy balbo is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #99
southpawironjaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 236

My favourite main commentator is Ian Darke and my favourite co commentator is Duke Mckenzie so that would be my ideal partnership.Watt is boring and annoying and extremely biased in his opinions
southpawironjaw is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #100
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawironjaw View Post
My favourite main commentator is Ian Darke and my favourite co commentator is Duke Mckenzie so that would be my ideal partnership.Watt is boring and annoying and extremely biased in his opinions
Oh no!

Duke is a total lightweight in the commentating stakes. If he was a referee every fight would be waved off in the first round. If a fighter takes more than two punches its a brutal beatdown and Duke is tugging at the ringside Doc's sleeve to intervene. A stiff jab lands and Duke breaks into his famous "he's gone" line. Thanks but no thanks.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #101
southpawironjaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAC View Post
Oh no!

Duke is a total lightweight in the commentating stakes. If he was a referee every fight would be waved off in the first round. If a fighter takes more than two punches its a brutal beatdown and Duke is tugging at the ringside Doc's sleeve to intervene. A stiff jab lands and Duke breaks into his famous "he's gone" line. Thanks but no thanks.
yeah but he brings excitement to the table - hes much better than some old boring dull mofo
southpawironjaw is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum