Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #46
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Republic of Mancunia via El Paso Sligo
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 1000
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I was taking the piss, but Irish boxing fans (on here) are the most biased I've ever come across in any sport.

Other than D-Mac I've not seen an Irish fan either picking against an Irish fighter or saying he isn't a fan of so and so.

Plus there's the old ''he's not British, he's Irish'' argument when talking about fighters from NI. Who really cares?
Actually I would say its the other way around to be honest - especially you ya bigot!

As for "Other than D-Mac I've not seen an Irish fan either picking against an Irish fighter or saying he isn't a fan of so and so." - thats a lie for starters so you go straight into the bullshitter category!

And as for "Plus there's the old ''he's not British, he's Irish'' argument when talking about fighters from NI. Who really cares?" - quite a lot of people care actually. I support fighters from Ireland that consider themselves Irish and I support fighters from Ireland that consider themselves British - but it just takes a small degree of effort to respect their nationality!
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #47
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Republic of Mancunia via El Paso Sligo
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 1000
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelBhoy View Post
I have often read about these mythical creatures that believe Duddy is a future hof'er, but I am yet to actually see one. I am beginning to think they are like leprechauns. They do exist...just nobody has ever seen one.

I live in Derry and there is a hope that John does well, but not one person I have met is anything other than measured in their rating of his talents.

I heard a radio interview last week with Bob Arum who has suggested that should Duddy win this fight, next up is Pavlik. I would say that most Irish people would like to see John get a shot, whether it is brought about by his Irish connections, his good looks or his boxing ability is neither here nor there. As Buncey often says "this is a business baby" and like it or not, Duddy would be a draw.

Most wouldn't rate him with even having a punchers chance, but there is a chance and the natural thing to do is to back your fighter until that chance is gone. Its not deluded, its not hype, its not anything other than optimism.

The bottom line is the bottom line.
Bang on!!!
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #48
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Battle of the overplayed stars that have got far more airtime than their talent deserves. Should make for an excellent fight though.

Duddy should win because he's less bad and has more heart for the sport.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #49
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
Posts: 9,611
vCash: 1088
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Cheers for that Mandanda. I knew i wasn't just imagining it. lol!

Yeah, Remember Miranda scored 2 finishes after his loss to Pavlik, but more importantly those 2 ko's came at a new weight class giving the impression that he may be "reborn" at this higher and probably more natural division. Of course 2 guys he fought were not world beaters, but it set up Showtime to sign an intriguing "style matchup" vs. Kessler who signed in principle, but later Kessler backed off the final dotted line to not face a heavy hander and take a safer fight post Calzaghe.

I remember Showtime being pissed as they already made the fight a reality with good faith money based on the explicit concessions that Team Pantera agreed to "in writing"! It was Kessler and ONLY Team Kessler that backed off this fight and searched for several months after to find a ham-n-eggs walkover to score an easy belt. yep, this was a classic "duck".

I love this forum! where else would you get this conversation? I wonder if that poster boy for sluggers and low boxing IQ knows people are talking about him.
You're not remembering quite right, or at least remembering half the story.

There were actually two proposed fights. The Showtime one you mention was proposed for Montreal to be a non-title fight. Kessler however was in a mandatory position for Mundine's WBA title and withdrew from the proposed fight to pursue that option.

Mundine vacated rather than get beaten by Kessler again at which point Palle went back to Miranda with a new offer for a title match for the now vacant title (Palle actually had to pull some strings with the WBA to get them to bump Miranda up their rankings so he would qualify to fight for the title). This proposal was backed by HBO and was to be in Florida. Miranda had entered into negotiations with Arthur Abraham for a rematch by that time and preferred to stay with that catchweight non-title fight rather than the WBA title fight offered by Kessler.
Cobbler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #50
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 8,695
vCash: 75
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapbangwhallop View Post
I hope Duddy wins this and shuts up the hype loving British wankers on here!


Of course you do
Dan684 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #51
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,448
vCash: 1000
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler View Post
You're not remembering quite right, or at least remembering half the story.

There were actually two proposed fights. The Showtime one you mention was proposed for Montreal to be a non-title fight. Kessler however was in a mandatory position for Mundine's WBA title and withdrew from the proposed fight to pursue that option.

Mundine vacated rather than get beaten by Kessler again at which point Palle went back to Miranda with a new offer for a title match for the now vacant title (Palle actually had to pull some strings with the WBA to get them to bump Miranda up their rankings so he would qualify to fight for the title). This proposal was backed by HBO and was to be in Florida. Miranda had entered into negotiations with Arthur Abraham for a rematch by that time and preferred to stay with that catchweight non-title fight rather than the WBA title fight offered by Kessler.
I think you're getting the timeline of events mixed up, this was after the Miranda/Abraham rematch.

I specifically remember Miranda's team giving Kessler every concession in the book...larger ring, softer gloves, 10 rounds vs. 12, and the list goes on and on...and Mandanda's fine detective work validates my point. As i said earlier Showtime even secured it with a non-ppv listing and a non refundable retainer of $1M U.S. dollars...thus a classic duck! I remember thinking and writing at the time that Kessler had cooked his fate and would be done with Showtime and HBO as well as you don't mess with deep pockets like that in the US unless you're a huge draw.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #52
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Battery Park
Posts: 7,229
vCash: 1040
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Two ham n eggs who exhibit little skill and finesse. At least its good riddens to one of them after this.
Amen!
fatcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #53
ed7890
Col. Hunter Gathers
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Galway
Posts: 4,087
vCash: 1127
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Great stuff, glad to see Duddy get the pay day he needs, you can see his hearts not in the boxing anymore. I think if he gets enough money for this he'll be gone.
ed7890 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #54
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
Posts: 9,611
vCash: 1088
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
I think you're getting the timeline of events mixed up, this was after the Miranda/Abraham rematch.

I specifically remember Miranda's team giving Kessler every concession in the book...larger ring, softer gloves, 10 rounds vs. 12, and the list goes on and on...and Mandanda's fine detective work validates my point. As i said earlier Showtime even secured it with a non-ppv listing and a non refundable retainer of $1M U.S. dollars...thus a classic duck! I remember thinking and writing at the time that Kessler had cooked his fate and would be done with Showtime and HBO as well as you don't mess with deep pockets like that in the US unless you're a huge draw.
No I have the timeline exactly right.

Showtime wanted the bout in Montreal on May 28th 2008 (story from March 200.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Kessler got the WBA to enforce the mandatory against Mundine in April 2008:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

HBO then tried to set up the fight in Florida for June 2008:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
"We had two chances to fight Miranda, one on Showtime and then on HBO," he says. "The Showtime deal was rejected because Miranda's promoter reneged on how Kessler's purse would be paid.
"Then HBO came calling about the same fight and Kessler accepted the fight, all the terms for the fight including holding the bout at the Seminole Tribe Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida. In other words, Kessler accepted fighting in Miranda's promoter's home ring.
"Kessler's acceptance was done in writing and sent to HBO officials and to [promoters] Leon Margules and Lou DiBella... It was Miranda's guy, Mr. Margules, who stabbed HBO in the back, ducking out to fight Abraham. He was double dealing HBO. HBO was pissed but they couldn't do anything about it."
Miranda instead fought Abraham rematch on 21st June 2008 and Kessler fought for the vacant belt against Sartison on the same day.
Cobbler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #55
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In that 3 feet of stew again...
Posts: 12,448
vCash: 1000
Default Re: John Duddy v Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler View Post
No I have the timeline exactly right.

Showtime wanted the bout in Montreal on May 28th 2008 (story from March 200.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Kessler got the WBA to enforce the mandatory against Mundine in April 2008:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

HBO then tried to set up the fight in Florida for June 2008:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



Miranda instead fought Abraham rematch on 21st June 2008 and Kessler fought for the vacant belt against Sartison on the same day.

Okay, i'm taking a knee. lol
slip&counter is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013