Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
The Blackout
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 350
Default Gary Lockett - "Pryce and Rees can get back to the top"

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

GARY LOCKETT has insisted he can rebuild Gavin Rees and Bradley Pryces careers and guide the talented duo back to title glory.
Lockett, who has started training both Pryce and Rees after they parted ways with Enzo Calzaghe, admits his no nonsense approach has been a shock to the system for the pair.
But, adamant its his way or the highway, the former WBU champion has been delighted to see them put in the hard graft and work to peak fitness.
While acknowledging it probably took some time for Pryce and Rees to adjust to a change in dynamics that had seen him go from stablemate to trainer, Lockett believes he can bring out the best in two of Welsh boxings biggest names. Rees is a former world champion while Pryce held the Commonwealth crown and he sees no reason why they cant get among the titles again.
Im confident I can get them back to the top, he said. I 100% back them to win titles again.
Its not about changing their styles. But Ive got a different way of doing things.
I wont let them mess about. Im more of a disciplinarian than Enzo and they will have to do things my way.
It must have been difficult for Brad and Gav when they started. They were used to training alongside me when I was boxing and its a different relationship.
But they seem to have come round quickly and realise what I can do for them.
They are really enjoying it and so am I.
If Rees and Pryce are to get back to the big time, Lockett believes the key will be maintaining the strict diets he has put them on. Having recruited former WRU nutritionist John Williams, he wants both fighters to move down in weights.
For Rees, who will fight Godfriend Sowah on April 9, a move to lightweight is the way forward. For Pryce, who recently lost in the semi-finals of the light-middleweight Prizefighter tournament, it will be a step down to welterweight.
Lockett knows it will take plenty of hard work from both fighters to achieve those [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. But, on the evidence of the past he few weeks, he is confident the results will soon speak for themselves.
Its going really well but I dont think they know whats hit them, he said. I have really been putting them through their paces and they are finding it hard.
But, at the end of the day, Brad has to get down to welterweight and Gav has to be competing at lightweight. They need to be at those weights to get to the level I want from them.
We have got one of the best [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] nutritionists around on board to help them. He has given them specific high protein, low carb diets and they are already looking much better.
I cant praise them enough. They have stuck to the diet and they can see the benefits.

Sounds as though Rees and Pryce might be finally taking their career's seriously. Anyone think they can realistically get back amongst the belts? I think both have the ability to get up to British Title level, but no further than that.
The Blackout is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Gary Lockett - "Pryce and Rees can get back to the top"

I don't think that they can...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
skel1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

To be fair Bradley Pryce has had about 10 ten times in his career when he says he is going to start putting the work in never works out Pryce is finished, Rees I don't no he should be on the undercard tonight fighting the Nigerian fella not Lynes.
skel1983 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Pryce couldn't even win Prizefighter
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Pryce couldn't even win Prizefighter
put him in the ring for 12 round with prince Arron and the results would be different
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
ciaran
Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 163

that bradley pryce is so overrated

hes utter shite
ciaran is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum