Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Thumbs up Two or Three Man Commentary Teams?

Just watching the Olusegun-Lynes fight and as it's a crap fight it just got me to thinking back about last weeks Dirrell-Abraham fight. I was really enjoyed the three man commentary team last week.

You had the one guy (can't remember name) who called the action and then you had the ex pro in Tarver and Al Bernstein who is a boxing encyclopedia and tactically very knowledgeable. What i liked about this team was there was another opinion, The ex pro's word was challenged and wasn't left as gospel.

They had good debate about various subjects and brought a abundance of enthusiasm to the table. Also with HBO it's the same with Larry,Jim and Manny.

With there being so many threads recently about Jim Watt and the Sky Team i wondered if maybe a extra addition to the table would liven things up and also help for more balanced debate and calling of fights. I cannot see Sky sacking anyone soon so maybe a move like this would be more likely and effective.

I don't mind either but tonight i've nearly fell asleep listening to Watt go over and over the same thing. I think another person pressing him on issues would help rid the bollocks we have to sit through at times.

You like to stay with the Classical Two Man Team or Go with the Three Man Team??

If you were to have men on the commentary table who would it be??? obviously you would need a balance of views from all sides of the sport.

Your Thoughts??
Mandanda is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Two or Three Man Commentary Teams?

Darke, Watt and Bunce. If not, get someone like Donal McRae if he was any good live.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
Darke, Watt and Bunce. If not, get someone like Donal McRae if he was any good live.
Nice Choice with Buncey being there. I like to see someone who can challenge Watt. Darke is a must. I like Rawling but Darke is the man for me. Still thinking of two to go with him.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

For me

Ian Darke - The straight man, delivers a good blow by blow and asks good questions to the anaylsts he works with.

Spencer Oliver - Provides a very balanced account of a bout and adds very good tactical and technical insight into a fight. Really knows his stuff.

For a third man we dont really have anyone like Bernstein, Buncey I would think would be too overpowering to do a fight.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
For me

Ian Darke - The straight man, delivers a good blow by blow and asks good questions to the anaylsts he works with.

Spencer Oliver - Provides a very balanced account of a bout and adds very good tactical and technical insight into a fight. Really knows his stuff.

For a third man we dont really have anyone like Bernstein, Buncey I would think would be too overpowering to do a fight.
Agree GP. Spencer brings alot of enthusiasm to a fight as well and good knowledge. Can tell he's a connoisseur of the sport.

As you say we haven't got a Bernstein as you say and i think Buncey is a studio man.

I'm racking my mind to think of someone who could bring that balance to a team.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Agree GP. Spencer brings alot of enthusiasm to a fight as well and good knowledge. Can tell he's a connoisseur of the sport.

As you say we haven't got a Bernstein as you say and i think Buncey is a studio man.

I'm racking my mind to think of someone who could bring that balance to a team.
Spencer Oliver is a brilliant anaylst.

I thought of a third man.

Bob Mee, enclyclopedic knowledge of the sport and seems to be fairly brave in his comments so would debate and discuss with Oliver who also seems to share Mee's enthusiasm and knowledge of the sport.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Spencer Oliver is a brilliant anaylst.

I thought of a third man.

Bob Mee, enclyclopedic knowledge of the sport and seems to be fairly brave in his comments so would debate and discuss with Oliver who also seems to share Mee's enthusiasm and knowledge of the sport.
Totally Forgot about Bob. Read his article today in BN. Yep that's a great call. He don't take shit either if he sees something he don't like then he's saying it. Him and Steve Holdsworth both have there views and let it be known.

Nice looking line up you have there
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Totally Forgot about Bob. Read his article today in BN. Yep that's a great call. He don't take shit either if he sees something he don't like then he's saying it. Him and Steve Holdsworth both have there views and let it be known.

Nice looking line up you have there
Would be a good line up. Like you say Bob Mee says it how it is, so does Spencer Oliver and Darke sums up the action well.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Could maybe even have Claude Abrahms in the Bernstein role, only thing is he can be over exciteable. But seriously he really provides some tactical insights and respects and understands the more cultured art of boxing.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Could maybe even have Claude Abrahms in the Bernstein role, only thing is he can be over exciteable. But seriously he really provides some tactical insights and respects and understands the more cultured art of boxing.
That's one out of the box there...i liked Claude when on Setanta. He gets proper into the night itself and the fight. Every week when i read his article and fight reports i'd agree with him so he's fine by me
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

He worked on BBC didnt he?

But he really understood a fight, and broke it down well.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
He worked on BBC didnt he?

But he really understood a fight, and broke it down well.
Yeah he was on BBC as well. Yeah i like him and Mee there both good calls. They would bring a lot to the table.
Mandanda is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum