Lopez 5 71.43%
Cprrales 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Diego Corrales vs Tony Lopez who would you rate higher?

Who is the king of Sacramento between these 2?
anarci is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Diego Corrales vs Tony Lopez who would you rate higher?

I'd give the edge to Lopez. Corrales had a nice run of wins with Casamayor, Freitas, and Castillo, but then his career seemed to fizzle out, and he lost rematches to two of those three (albeit Castillo cheated in the rematch). Lopez was a top contender and/or titleholder for longer and in more weight classes, he won his rivalries with Molina and Lockridge, he handed Paez his first defeat since appearing on the world stage, and he had more "second career" success after he himself was considered past his peak.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll go with Corrales. Firstly, I'd favor him head to head. Second, I think his top end wins are better. And finally, Lopez enjoyed as much "home cooking" as any fighter I can remember.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lopez, by far..Tony was actually pretty damned good fighter with skills..and I love Corrales as a warrior as most do, but Lopez was the better man.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lopez's win over Paez was impressive to me (evevn if it wasn't a spectacular fight) in the same way roughly as Emile Griffith's win over the undefeated Gypsy Joe Harris. Both Paez and Harris were sort of oddball boxing clowns.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Corrales had the great fight, but Lopez fought the best guys out there and won sometimes. Molina and Lockridge and Mitchell and even Haugen later. The Haugen fight he stopped Haugen if I remember correctly, although that was after Chavez softened him. But Corrales does not have the resume of Lopez.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
I'll go with Corrales. Firstly, I'd favor him head to head. Second, I think his top end wins are better. And finally, Lopez enjoyed as much "home cooking" as any fighter I can remember.
I assume that you are not refering to food???? As with most fighters Tony did not escape without having any controversial decisions however I don't know of a ton??? Can you specify what decisions you are refering to??

I have heard of:
Molina I, but not by most I had Lopez ahead.
Mitchell I, I had it a draw but appear to be in the minority on this one
Thobella I, although by my understanding the reaction was split..again I had lopez by a pt

Are these the 3 you refer to? if so I wouldn't quite refer to that as homecooking that no other fighter enjoyed! They were also very close and not quite what I would call a robbery or a homecooked decision.

Molina III- Nah, (not really home either) Molina could have won perhaps if he had followed his corners advice. When he chose to box he clearly seperated himself...but more often than not he chose to slug it out (ala meldrick taylor mode) and this played right into Tony's hands and earned him the decision. The KD in rd 10 or 11 pretty much sealed the deal.

Lockridge I- Tony was down in rd 8, but to me clearly won the fight, and havent heard much dispute over this decision?

Lockridge II- Again a very competitive fight, but Tony earned this decision IMO.

Lockridge is a hardluck case and another of my fav's, but he clearly would have more reason to gripe over the Gomez and both Pedroza decisions and I had him winning all 3 of those fights...even the chavez fight was closer to me than the Lopez fight and the 6 and 3 pt cards in Chavez's favor baffle me..I had chavez by 1)

Paez- that was a clear earned wide UD for Lopez.

So again what were the homecooked decisions for Tony in your opinion???

Last edited by PhillyPhan69; 04-03-2010 at 11:22 PM.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I agree that Lopez convincingley beat Lockridge in both fights. However Lopez did receive a gift in one of his fights with Molina, Molina was always a tough guy for him Stylisticlally.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 AM   #9
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I assume that you are not refering to food???? As with most fighters Tony did not escape without having any controversial decisions however I don't know of a ton??? Can you specify what decisions you are refering to??

I have heard of:
Molina I, but not by most I had Lopez ahead.
Mitchell I, I had it a draw but appear to be in the minority on this one
Thobella I, although by my understanding the reaction was split..again I had lopez by a pt

Are these the 3 you refer to? if so I wouldn't quite refer to that as homecooking that no other fighter enjoyed! They were also very close and not quite what I would call a robbery or a homecooked decision.

Molina III- Nah, (not really home either) Molina could have won perhaps if he had followed his corners advice. When he chose to box he clearly seperated himself...but more often than not he chose to slug it out (ala meldrick taylor mode) and this played right into Tony's hands and earned him the decision. The KD in rd 10 or 11 pretty much sealed the deal.

Lockridge I- Tony was down in rd 8, but to me clearly won the fight, and havent heard much dispute over this decision?

Lockridge II- Again a very competitive fight, but Tony earned this decision IMO.

Lockridge is a hardluck case and another of my fav's, but he clearly would have more reason to gripe over the Gomez and both Pedroza decisions and I had him winning all 3 of those fights...even the chavez fight was closer to me than the Lopez fight and the 6 and 3 pt cards in Chavez's favor baffle me..I had chavez by 1)

Paez- that was a clear earned wide UD for Lopez.

So again what were the homecooked decisions for Tony in your opinion???
Well, I'll be more specific. Lopez fought a ridiculous amount of his big fights in his hometown compared to other fighters and always seemed to get the close decisions. This was common knowledge at the time. I definitely thought Molina beat him the first time. And I had Mitchell beating him. Lockridge I was close. So you're saying Chavez - Lockridge was closer than Lopez-Lockridge I? I disagree with that. And I disagree with Lockridge winning the first Pedroza fight. I haven't seen the second one in a long time. Lockridge-Gomez was a complete robbery, I agree. Again, just to sum up, I really didn't think Lopez was that good. Naturally he was a world class fighter I just don't think he was a stellar champion from that era. Most guys fought a lot of fights in Vegas or AC. Lopez fought almost all of his fights in Sacramento in front of a rabid crowd who went nuts every time he came close to landing a punching. Bottom line for me, I really don't see what Lopez could do with Corrales head to head. It might be fairly competitive because of Corrales combative nature but I see too many advantages for Chico.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I believe it was due to the popularity of Boxing at the time and the prominance of boxing's availability on US network television that allowed Lopez to enjoy the luxery of fighting out of his hometown that he would certainly not have if he were fighting in this day and age.

The most wide spread controversy seems to be around the Mitchell fight, which with my card of a draw definately seems to be in the minority. Most fealt like Mitchell won the fight and he resoundingly settled that in the 2nd encounter. The other I generally understood as a split in verdicts was Molina I, although the 3 of us who have voiced our opinions on that bout hardly constitute a consensus. the 3rd was another split reaction with the thobela fight. Again Thobela would end any arguments in the 2nd fight.

I don't believe any of those were robberies, but rather close decisions that always lead to controversy among those who's cards read the other way. I wished we enjoyed the 15 rd limit as that could put to rest many arguments. Tony did enjoy the comforts of not having to travel and adjust to unfamiliar surroundings...a benifit many of his opponents did not have.

personally I feel Tony's resume is greater than Corrales and his wins are against a higher quality of opponent.

H2H is a matter of speculation and not worth debating to major degree. deigo would certainly enjoy a height advantage, while oddly enough Lopez would have a slight reach advantage. Reach advantage in this case is negligable due to styles of both guys. I don't see either guy trying to make this a long range affair anyway. I think Tony has the better chin of the 2, and that he would get the better of the infighting.

Tony close but clear sacramento decision!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum