Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #16
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: Marciano's Glove-Blocking/Parrying is Unparraled by Swarmers/Sluggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I'm sorry, man. Believe what you want. My first impression was he that he was faking to get the win. I still have that impression. It almost looks as though he is going to mouth "he hit me" before beginning his act.

I bought it when Griffin was stopped on his knee by Jones. I didn't with Dirrell.
I think you are both right. I think Dirrell was hurt but also looked for a way out. He isnīt the strongest mentally and to me it seems he always looks for the easiest way out. So he overacted to get the DQ. Similar to what DLH did against B-Hop.

I can live with the DQ. Dirrell fought a beautiful fight and deserved to win.

But something that was a bit odd was Abraham didnīt look himself. He wasnīt as explosive as normally, his guard wasnīt as tight, he was even sloppier than normally, he didnīt throw his flurries like he normally does, he didnīt go to the body which is one of his strength, he didnīt listen to his trainer like he normally does. It was as if there was an inferior version of himself in there. Very strange. Donīt know if he overtrained or had a jet lag but something was wrong. Donīt know if he would have had more of a chance even if he would have been his normal self though.
bodhi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #17
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marciano's Glove-Blocking/Parrying is Unparraled by Swarmers/Sluggers

Marciano was the best of the swarmers with his underrated defence and used his gloves and elbows to block many a punch
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Marciano was the best of the swarmers with his underrated defence and used his gloves and elbows to block many a punch
You miss the heavyweight before swarmers. P4p imo Armstrong was better than him, just for an example. Ambers, Chavez are good shouts too I think.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #19
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
... or maybe not, but it's damn damn good. Maybe Chavez and Duran are equally as effective as good in this regard.

Dempsey bobs with his hands fairly low, so I don't see him glove-blocking as much nor as effectively as Marciano does. Sometimes he's so good at this that he can instinctual block another shot with his other glove while his head is down. Sometimes he gets too defensive about it, but after being surprised by Walcott he seems to understand his tempo more.

I'm watching the Marciano v Walcott I scrap (Underrated) and I'm noticing that not only does Marciano get low and roll in his crouch but he really is good at parrying. Sometimes he looks for the power shot too much and gets smacked wide-opened but he usually tightens up and gets his gloves higher to get ready to attack/defend.

Most recognize Marciano had skills, albeit subtle ones. But the casual fans seem to think he's just an open target that doesn't do anything defensively like other guys such as Hatton and Froch. I think we can examine the obvious things that the other swaming Heavyweights might do better, but this is one where they could've taken a page out of Marciano's book. Sometimes glove-blocking doesn't look as pretty nor does it seem like you're actually blocking shots with some of the old quality films. If Frazier could've done something better defensively it would've been this.

Okay... back to watching.
Damn the casual fan's revisionism...Marciano is MANY rungs above the likes of Hatton and especially Froch, whose coach is due at any time to turn into a pumpkin (against his first decent opponent). Rocky had very subtle skills, due to listening to his old wizard trainer Charley Goldman.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Goldman taught Rocky to use his deficits in height and reach to an advantage.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #21
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
... or maybe not, but it's damn damn good. Maybe Chavez and Duran are equally as effective as good in this regard. .
You're right Marciano does have underrated defense and boxing skills, but in terms of parrying/blocking he doesnt come close to those 2 men who are defensively great.

I can't believe anyone thinks Dirrell was faking, he was cruising to a wide UD when it happened, if he did get counted out there was no indication it wouldnt be ruled a KO loss, he got caught with a peach of a shot, was shaking on the floor, was clearly well out of it, and was diagnosed with a concussion. The stupidity of ESB has no boundaries
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Duran and Chang had the best D for all out aggressive fighters i've watched extensive footage of.

Though not their normal style, Starling and Kalule were great it too when pressuring forward.Starling vs Aquino is a masterpiece of aggressive defensive work; shame starling didn't show that level of intensity more often.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Duran and Chang had the best D for all out aggressive fighters i've watched extensive footage of.

Though not their normal style, Starling and Kalule were great it too when pressuring forward.Starling vs Aquino is a masterpiece of aggressive defensive work; shame starling didn't show that level of intensity more often.
I agree.

And I just wanted to bring up, with most pressure fighters head movement is the main mode of defence, Chang and Duran for example, but Marciano used glove blocking extensivly. Does any other swarmer use it?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #24
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

del
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #25
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

marciano used a archie moore crab arm defence also. i remeber listening to rockys comentry during a basilio fight who fought out of a simular stance. rocky described the positioning of the left glove as a decoy to set the other guy up proving he thought a lot during a fight.
choklab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum