Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Total shite.

There's been wide discussion on the Tunney/Loughran body attack plan and why Greb might be susceptible to it. You've gone totally overboard with this.

Greb is one of four fighters with the combination of resume and achievment enough to make him a candidate for GOAT. You will run up against the same resistance if you try to be overly critical of Robinson, Langford or Armstrong, too. It's because these men are in a class of their own in terms of greatness not because of some secret conspiracy on Classic.
Jorodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #17
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
. It's because these men are in a class of their own in terms of greatness not because of some secret conspiracy on Classic.
As Grand Seneschal of the Greb Illuminati, I demand that you retract that comment before people start asking awkward questions.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,081
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
As Grand Seneschal of the Greb Illuminati, I demand that you retract that comment before people start asking awkward questions.

Negative, and everyone knows Janitor is the Grand Seneschal. You're the Ashikagki of Fitz if you like.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,084
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Greb was fast. So fast Jack Johnson said he was the fastest guy he ever saw. He was quick with his feet, and had a pretty good slip and duck type of defense. In that sense, I think he could have been a bit like Pep.

But since lora is a know it all, perhaps he can help answer this question. It is a possible yes or no, and hardly uninteresting if you ask me.
It is possible that there could be points of similarity but I suspect not.

Greb did ocasionaly abandon his swarming style and turn technician, for reasons known only to himself.

The most I would venture is that they might have had a couple of similar trick in their arsenal.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

People do forget Pep had a good workrate. And he did use shifts of angles that were odd.

There could be some similarities in some things they do, but different ways of using them. Basically Pep used defence before offence and Greb was the opposite
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,081
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Greb did ocasionaly abandon his swarming style and turn technician, for reasons known only to himself.

I think he thought that the judges didn't like his style because he tended to switch for fights when a decision would be rendered.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #22
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South-East/Greater London.
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 1987
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

No.
TommyV is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #23
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,084
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I think he thought that the judges didn't like his style because he tended to switch for fights when a decision would be rendered.
Probably the bottom line.

He did this in his mw title winning effort against Wilson.

Greb was a bit of a chamelion who could switch styles.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #24
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Negative, and everyone knows Janitor is the Grand Seneschal. You're the Ashikagki of Fitz if you like.
Or maybe that's just what we want you to think...
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #25
dmille
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 995
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Total shite.

There's been wide discussion on the Tunney/Loughran body attack plan and why Greb might be susceptible to it. You've gone totally overboard with this.

Greb is one of four fighters with the combination of resume and achievment enough to make him a candidate for GOAT. You will run up against the same resistance if you try to be overly critical of Robinson, Langford or Armstrong, too. It's because these men are in a class of their own in terms of greatness not because of some secret conspiracy on Classic.
8 losses out of 300 fights over 13 years? When he died, he was comming off two close losses for the title. He could have gotten another shot at Flowers or moved up to 175. At 32, he could have easily had another 100 fights by the time he was ready to retire.

And to think that on top of it all he was blind in one eye...
dmille is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #26
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 210
Default Re: Was Greb a bit like Pep?

I'll always hold out a tiny bit of hope that one day footage of Greb will be found.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013