Old 04-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #46
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3930
Default Re: 03' RingMag Top 100 Punchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
agreed. cooney's only real KO was a shot to shit Norton who was already devasted in his prime by Foreman and Shavers. other than that he bludgeoned Jimmy Young but failed to truly knock him out. despite some reports i feel he barely even stunned holmes as well and was completely outclassed by a FAR smaller spinks
Well, he did make Foreman wobble pretty badly in the first round with a nice counter left hook, and he also stopped an admittedly badly faded Lyle in a round as well. Plus for aesthetic value, the kayo of Norton iis pretty terrifying. But...I'm with you. 53 is probably too high of a rating for him.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #47
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Well, he did make Foreman wobble pretty badly in the first round with a nice counter left hook, and he also stopped an admittedly badly faded Lyle in a round as well. Plus for aesthetic value, the kayo of Norton iis pretty terrifying. But...I'm with you. 53 is probably too high of a rating for him.
oh for sure, he had power. and i forgot about the foreman and lyle fights but like you said he's too high. most of his reputation is built on the norton fight and while fun/horrifying to look at, isn't all that much in context. a ton of potential but couldn't prove it or use it against top tier opponents or consistently against b level opponents
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #48
ricardoparker93
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5403

David Tua is 30 odd places below Tyson? The list is pretty poor, I wonder if they believe that there are 24 harder punchers than Julian Jackson p4p
ricardoparker93 is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #49
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoparker93 View Post
David Tua is 30 odd places below Tyson? The list is pretty poor, I wonder if they believe that there are 24 harder punchers than Julian Jackson p4p
jackson is especially baffling. saad muhammad? very good, even great puncher but no jackson. same with graziano. zarate to i feel is a slightly better puncher than arguello or gomez but that's splitting hairs

also, the argument could be made for fitz to be even higher. while i look at it though, it's a pretty solid list considering how subjective the matter is.
Jorodz is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum