Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #151
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Good summary Rodin and I'll add just one thing:

When the ref called a halt, Roy didn't argue the decision at all. If anything, on the night, he was gracious in defeat.

(Sadly though, the next morning Roy just couldn't live with the loss, and unfortunately he chose to sook about it for months & months. Still, it got him his Hopkins rematch, and let's hope Roy got the career ending message from the result.)
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #152
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Good summary Rodin and I'll add just one thing:

When the ref called a halt, Roy didn't argue the decision at all. If anything, on the night, he was gracious in defeat.

(Sadly though, the next morning Roy just couldn't live with the loss, and unfortunately he chose to sook about it for months & months. Still, it got him his Hopkins rematch, and let's hope Roy got the career ending message from the result.)

Yes. Point taken.

On the objectivity thing.
After Choc fought Geale, there was the usual debate a close fight engenders.
I got an email from a solid boxing person asking me how I scored the fight.

He told me that he thought Choc would do it pretty easy but in the aftermath, he was concerned that his judgement was contaminated by his expectations & would I watch it again & score it.
I did & told him that I thought Choc won the fight 114-113.
He was happy with that, It was the way he scored it, but he just wanted his objectivity checked.
That's not a bad exercise for someone that influences proceedings.
I always respect others judgements on fights, but some,,,well,, I just can't help myself. It's a human trait thing.
Rodin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #153
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,438
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

I watched the Hopkins/Jones rematch snoozefest. Both need to hang them up..........they are finished........Hopkins at one stage was looking for the DQ win with the bullshit about the marshmellow rabbit punches & fallin' down like he'd been hit with a hammer. Don't like......don't throw em I say..........and the low blows............next thing they will have the trilogy fight in wheelchairs with Frank Sinatra singing in the background.
roscoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 AM   #154
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

both need to give it away there done
T.C.W is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #155
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,195
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
I watched the Hopkins/Jones rematch snoozefest. Both need to hang them up..........they are finished........Hopkins at one stage was looking for the DQ win with the bullshit about the marshmellow rabbit punches & fallin' down like he'd been hit with a hammer. Don't like......don't throw em I say..........and the low blows............next thing they will have the trilogy fight in wheelchairs with Frank Sinatra singing in the background.
Done the same shit with Calzaghe and got given a pass .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 AM   #156
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 210
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

lefty is a deadset loon.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #157
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,490
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

I agree a little bit with what Lefty is saying regarding Bernard Hopkins. Yes the fight was rubbish and Roy looked terribly shot to me but Bhop is incredible for 45 yrs of age. He is still an elite high quality fighter who would give any of the top fighters around his weight (Kessler, Bute, Dawson, Ward, Abraham etc etc ) a real good run for their money. He would win some and lose some. If you can't appreciate how skilled/crafty/smart he is in the ring then i wonder how well you understand the skill of boxing. The guy is an absolute legend of the sport and still has it to a certain degree.

Bhop was never really going to stop Roy. I didn't think so and predicted a wide points win. His game plan has not been to try and stop opponents since the late 1990's when age started to creep up on him. He didn't go out and try and stop Tito or Oscar either although the stoppage eventually came in those fights.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #158
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
I agree a little bit with what Lefty is saying regarding Bernard Hopkins. Yes the fight was rubbish and Roy looked terribly shot to me but Bhop is incredible for 45 yrs of age. He is still an elite high quality fighter who would give any of the top fighters around his weight (Kessler, Bute, Dawson, Ward, Abraham etc etc ) a real good run for their money. He would win some and lose some. If you can't appreciate how skilled/crafty/smart he is in the ring then i wonder how well you understand the skill of boxing. The guy is an absolute legend of the sport and still has it to a certain degree.

Bhop was never really going to stop Roy. I didn't think so and predicted a wide points win. His game plan has not been to try and stop opponents since the late 1990's when age started to creep up on him. He didn't go out and try and stop Tito or Oscar either although the stoppage eventually came in those fights.
Great post....i feel the same way
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #159
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Geale was weight drained
Posts: 9,956
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

will they fight on?will Roy come back to fight a rematch with Green so he can say he has every weight class titles from MW TO HW if he wins??read somewhere there was a rematch clause with their fight.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #160
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,981
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
will they fight on?will Roy come back to fight a rematch with Green so he can say he has every weight class titles from MW TO HW if he wins??read somewhere there was a rematch clause with their fight.
Yep that's the only possible way Jones can get a half decent again and that's a rematch with Green.
the beaver is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #161
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beaver View Post
Yep that's the only possible way Jones can get a half decent again and that's a rematch with Green.
Agree 100% but hope it doesn't happen - the interest level ($$$) won't be anything like their first meet for a start.

But Roy needs the tap on the should and the retirement sermon delivered to him.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #162
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Geale was weight drained
Posts: 9,956
vCash: 75
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Agree 100% but hope it doesn't happen - the interest level ($$$) won't be anything like their first meet for a start.

But Roy needs the tap on the should and the retirement sermon delivered to him.
he should of retired years ago.many people have probably told him.ego and hangers on have probably convinced him he still have it.JLC quit on his stool against Alfonso Gomez
another great fighter who didnt know when to stop.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 AM   #163
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,490
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins v Jones 2....anyone care

Roy has turned into a sad case. I'm sure he will still fight on.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013