Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Questions about meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy
The specific comment you quoted was in response to you actually. I had already replied to the original poster.

If you don't want my 2 cents then ignore my posts, no need to be a jerk.
I know it was in response to me, letting me know that we don't NEED meat. Well yes, I realize this, I am well versed in the dietary department. My point was that we do need the nutrients that come with it (and yes I know you can get them from other means.)

P.s. There wasn't any sarcasm in my last post, so I do not feel that I deserved to be called a jerk.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaakal
Would meat be good if you want to go up some kilograms, not fat, muscle?
Easy analogy from T-Nation.com to help understand what you should eat:

Quote:
I like to use a construction worker analogy to explain this. Imagine that your muscles are like a house you're trying to build. The bricks used to build the house represent the amino acids (from the ingestion of protein) while the money you're paying the workers (so that they'll do the work) represents the carbs and fat you eat.
Finally, the workers represent the factors involved in the protein synthesis process (Testosterone mainly) and the truck bringing the bricks to the workers represent insulin (which plays a capital role in transporting the nutrients to the muscle cells).

If you don't give the workers enough bricks (protein) they won't be able to build the house as fast as they could. So in that regard, an insufficient protein intake will slow down muscle growth.
Similarly, if you don't pay your workers enough (low carbs or fat intake) they won't be as motivated to work hard. As a result, the house won't be built very rapidly. In fact, if you really cut the workers' pay, they might even get mad, go on strike, and start demolishing the house (catabolism due to an excessively low caloric intake). So in that regard, not consuming enough protein or calories to support muscle growth will lead to a slower rate of gains.
Now, what happens if you start to send more bricks (increase protein intake) to the workers? Well, they'll be able to build the house more rapidly because they aren't lacking in raw material. However, at some point, sending more and more bricks won't lead to a faster rate of construction because the workers can only perform so much work in any given amount of time. For example, if your crew can add 1000 bricks per day to the walls, giving them 2000 bricks per day will be useless: it exceeds their work capacity. So the excess bricks will go to waste (literally).

In the same regard, if you increase your workers' salary (increase caloric intake) chances are their motivation will also increase and as a result they'll build the house faster. However, just like with bricks, there comes a point where increasing the workers' salary won't have any effect on the house-building rate: the workers will reach their physical limit. Once this limit is reached you can increase their salary all you want; they won't be able to add bricks to the house any faster.
What I'm trying to say is you can't bully your body into building muscle by force-feeding it. Adding nutrients and calories will have a positive effect on muscle growth until you reach your saturation point. After that, any additional calories will be stored as body fat.
So while it's true the more you eat the bigger you'll get, the additional weight will be in the form of fat, not muscle tissue.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #18
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Marcum
I know it was in response to me, letting me know that we don't NEED meat. Well yes, I realize this, I am well versed in the dietary department. My point was that we do need the nutrients that come with it (and yes I know you can get them from other means.)

P.s. There wasn't any sarcasm in my last post, so I do not feel that I deserved to be called a jerk.
And I think what she was pointing out was that no; you don't need to eat just meat to get the nutrients in them; as there are other, non-meat sources of the same nutrients. Same as what RDJ said as well.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #19
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
And I think what she was pointing out was that no; you don't need to eat just meat to get the nutrients in them; as there are other, non-meat sources of the same nutrients. Same as what RDJ said as well.
Lol I understand that.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #20
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Lol I understand that.

Well then why did you say you must have meat?
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #21
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Hell yes a boxer should be eating meat! We need the protein.
That is what I said, I also explained WHY he needed it. Sure he could find it from other sources, but nothing else is going to have as much in it. I suppose you're right, I could have said it like this "You don't have to eat meat, you can get protein from other sources; however it is the best source of it in terms of volume." Does this make everyone happy? Or are you going to try and argue that beans and eggs have more protein than a chicken breast?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #22
Tito Time
slayin um
ESB Addict

Stay away from red meat and pork. You can get protien in way better ways. I always tear up some Turkey and baked chicken\fish etc..... Does the trick for me. I kicked the red meat\pork gig for about a 2 years now.
Tito Time is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #23
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artigo
What is so bad about red meat?
Nothing. Some cuts of meat are very fatty like Prime Rib. However, some are very lean such as round steak, deer, and stuff like that.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #24
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaakal
Is it good for a boxer to eat meat? If it is then how many times a week would be good and what kind of meat would you suggsest.

Way back in the not so good old days when you had to make weight on the day of the fight, most boxers ate very little meat. Since athletes have highly efficient mtabolisms, they tend to gain weight very easily, so they were forced to avoid those foods which tend to put on the mass. It is just a myth that old time boxers ate stake and eggs every meal.

Gene Tunney would have told you that your diet should consist of a large variety of natural, healthy, fresh foods. That advice is a valid today as it was 80 years ago.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #25
MrSmall
Journeyman

You should be doing enough work and be in good enough nutritional knowledge to be able to eat whatever you want.
MrSmall is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing