Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Who wins?
Evander Holyfield 87 49.15%
Mike Tyson 90 50.85%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,339
vCash: 102
Default Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfield vs Mike Tyson

for me, I just think Holyfield is the perfect fighter to out slug Tyson and win. but this one would be much closer. honestly, I'm not sure if Tyson would win. Tyson wasn't completely shot, although he didn't have as much head movement or speed as he did in his "prime".
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
for me, I just think Holyfield is the perfect fighter to out slug Tyson and win. but this one would be much closer. honestly, I'm not sure if Tyson would win. Tyson wasn't completely shot, although he didn't have as much head movement or speed as he did in his "prime".
When they fought neither was at their best. Tyson wasnt prepared to fight a long grueling fight and Holyfield was so exhausted in the later rounds. He plopped himself down on the stool and looked completely spent. Had it not been for Brooks inspirational words Holy might have packed it in. Tyson was probably a 1/3 of himself in my opinion and took pretty much everything Evander had and still was standing at the end of the fight. He was as much exhausted as he was beaten that night.
I dont think Evander in his "prime" would have been big enough or strong enough to deal with a prime Mike Tyson. Tyson was faster, had better defense, and was a serious combination powerpuncher. Tyson mid round stoppage.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,854
vCash: 75
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Hmmmm................Either Tyson due to Holyfields heart getting him hit too often, or Evanders iron chin gets him through the rough early going and he wins on points
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
When they fought neither was at their best. Tyson wasnt prepared to fight a long grueling fight and Holyfield was so exhausted in the later rounds. He plopped himself down on the stool and looked completely spent. Had it not been for Brooks inspirational words Holy might have packed it in. Tyson was probably a 1/3 of himself in my opinion and took pretty much everything Evander had and still was standing at the end of the fight. He was as much exhausted as he was beaten that night.
I dont think Evander in his "prime" would have been big enough or strong enough to deal with a prime Mike Tyson. Tyson was faster, had better defense, and was a serious combination powerpuncher. Tyson mid round stoppage.
One way that the 1996 Holyfield was better than his prime version was that he could punch with more authority. He'd slowed up obvioulsy,but retained more of his prime than did Tyson at this point. Prime for prime,I'd say Tyson would win. Probably by about the midway mark.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,854
vCash: 75
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

I think Holyfield was a startingly accurate puncher throughout his career
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 1,156
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

My money went on Evander both times they actually fought and, prime for prime, my money would still go on Holyfield. It would have been a great fight!
djanders is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, Esperantia
Posts: 24,841
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

...Is "Evander Holyfidld" any relation to Evan Fields?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I think Holyfield was a startingly accurate puncher throughout his career
I meant power punching. He hit more solidly.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Holyfield, this is not about popularity.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Holyfield.
Any time.
He simply had the beating of Tyson, and I think he was simply a superior fighter, more adaptable, and better at handling pressure.
Tyson couldn't do a thing going backwards, and at some point, and soon, Holyfield will back him up and keep hitting. Tyson was ordinary when he was taken out of his own game. Holyfield could look flawed at times, and seemingly struggle unnecessarily, but was always in position to turn the tables and figure the other guy out.
Holyfield was better.

I think Tyson's horribly overrated. But I know that's a minority opinion around here. I was never 100% sold on him being great, even though I have fond memories of his fights going back to '86. He was very well managed and marketed from very early on. He lived up to it for a short while, but the bubble was quickly burst. I dont go along with the story that he "could have" and "would have" if only he'd kept disciplined outside the ring. He was always destined to lose in a thorough way - whether it Douglas or Holyfield to do it first, he was such a fighter that if someone has his number on a given night it looks stylistically one-sided and presents an eternal blueprint. Tyson only had one game.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,339
vCash: 102
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
...Is "Evander Holyfidld" any relation to Evan Fields?
sorry, i typed this on my ipod touch...
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Holyfield.
Any time.
He simply had the beating of Tyson, and I think he was simply a superior fighter, more adaptable, and better at handling pressure.
Tyson couldn't do a thing going backwards, and at some point, and soon, Holyfield will back him up and keep hitting. Tyson was ordinary when he was taken out of his own game. Holyfield could look flawed at times, and seemingly struggle unnecessarily, but was always in position to turn the tables and figure the other guy out.
Holyfield was better.

I think Tyson's horribly overrated. But I know that's a minority opinion around here. I was never 100% sold on him being great, even though I have fond memories of his fights going back to '86. He was very well managed and marketed from very early on. He lived up to it for a short while, but the bubble was quickly burst. I dont go along with the story that he "could have" and "would have" if only he'd kept disciplined outside the ring. He was always destined to lose in a thorough way - whether it Douglas or Holyfield to do it first, he was such a fighter that if someone has his number on a given night it looks stylistically one-sided and presents an eternal blueprint. Tyson only had one game.
If only he had gotten a rematch with Douglas or fought Holyfield before going to the clink.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
If only he had gotten a rematch with Douglas or fought Holyfield before going to the clink.
Well, that's where we differ.
I think his standing is preserved somewhat by the fact that he didn't. ('cos I think he would have lost, badly).
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: trying to increase my overdraft....
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 75
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Well, that's where we differ.
I think his standing is preserved somewhat by the fact that he didn't. ('cos I think he would have lost, badly).
I agree with you here.

Tyson vs Holyfield prime vs prime would have been an absolutely brilliant spectacle, but I'd put my money on Evander every time.

I talk boxing with my friends a lot who are the same age or thereabouts as me (24) and they refuse to believe that any fighter would beat a prime Tyson.

Does my head in!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
When they fought neither was at their best. Tyson wasnt prepared to fight a long grueling fight and Holyfield was so exhausted in the later rounds. He plopped himself down on the stool and looked completely spent. Had it not been for Brooks inspirational words Holy might have packed it in. Tyson was probably a 1/3 of himself in my opinion and took pretty much everything Evander had and still was standing at the end of the fight. He was as much exhausted as he was beaten that night.



Quote:
I dont think Evander in his "prime" would have been big enough or strong enough to deal with a prime Mike Tyson.
Possibly, a concern of mine too.

Quote:
Tyson was faster, had better defense, and was a serious combination powerpuncher. Tyson mid round stoppage.
He wasn't all these things in 96? Faster, better puncher?
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013