Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
emallini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default The effect Mayweather had on British Gyms

After the Hatton Fight I noticed the youngsters in the gyms started finding it cool to have a good defense and to be slick. Hattons pressure style got beaten by mayweathers smart skills with the whole world watching. That fight was good for british boxing because instead of wanting to be like hatton a pressure brawler the kids want to make you miss and it feels just as good as landing a punch when you duck or slip a shot. Its not a huge impact obviously but i did notice it. I go to loads of gyms by the way. You see kids using the shoulder like floyd to deflect and using footwork like floyd. Hes also black and flashy and that helps.It can only be good if The next generation of british boxers are using like brains and focus more on defense. Throwing some USA slickness into our usual style isnt a bad thing.
emallini is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: The effect Mayweather had on British Gyms

Would be good if its true. The defence of our fighters lets us down at the top level quite a bit. I don't think we've had any great defensive fighters since Herol Graham. Eubank and Lewis were smart too I suppose.

But Calzaghe's was never the best although not too bad given his aggression, Hatton's was his achilles heal, Froch's is abysmal really, Witter's was shown up by the best in his division. Even Khan's already suffered a terrible loss due to poor defence and concentration, but he looks to be improving that.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Hooch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emallini View Post
After the Hatton Fight I noticed the youngsters in the gyms started finding it cool to have a good defense and to be slick. Hattons pressure style got beaten by mayweathers smart skills with the whole world watching. That fight was good for british boxing because instead of wanting to be like hatton a pressure brawler the kids want to make you miss and it feels just as good as landing a punch when you duck or slip a shot. Its not a huge impact obviously but i did notice it. I go to loads of gyms by the way. You see kids using the shoulder like floyd to deflect and using footwork like floyd. Hes also black and flashy and that helps.It can only be good if The next generation of british boxers are using like brains and focus more on defense. Throwing some USA slickness into our usual style isnt a bad thing.
Thats very interesting and good news, hopefully undo all the terrible habits Naz influenced back in the day. Only problem will be when 2 fighters using that style face off zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hooch is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Maybe the next generation will have better defences but Hatton, Haye, Froch and Khan seem to have leakey ones to say the least.

Anyone in our country who has talent takes advantage of it by break rules and being technically incorrect. The guys who don't really have very much talent fight in a more correct manner i.e. Murray, Cook and Arthur.

It would be nice if our talented guys fought in a more correct manner. I think they would be more effective.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
emallini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
Thats very interesting and good news, hopefully undo all the terrible habits Naz influenced back in the day. Only problem will be when 2 fighters using that style face off zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Yeh. Leaning back with your chin in the air
emallini is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Hooch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emallini View Post
Yeh. Leaning back with your chin in the air
I had a few bouts years ago and I remember trying the Naz screw shot with my left and got clobbered with a right - wide open, the guy I was fighting was shit aswell not as shit as me though, damn you Prince Nazeem Hamed
Hooch is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
emallini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
I had a few bouts years ago and I remember trying the Naz screw shot with my left and got clobbered with a right - wide open, the guy I was fighting was shit aswell not as shit as me though, damn you Prince Nazeem Hamed
lol i remember everyone was trying to be naz. I miss them days. He was crazy entertaining
emallini is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
duffman85
Journeyman

Hopefully there were a few British kids watching Kevin Mitchell when he took apart Prescott by fighting with his brain rather than his heart.
duffman85 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Redondo5
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4380

Hope it is having an effect - so we can get away from the British Disease - worse thing is.... guys like Froch and Haye to much lesser extent think they're cool by holding their hands low.... Their reflexes are not good enough to box like that.... they could still be slick (in Hayes case) but have much tighter defence..... I wish more of our fighters went to USA with top notch trainers to pick up some of their good technique.... like how Khan has improved ten fold since going and thinks far more now than he ever did before
Redondo5 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum